Events

Jenny Rissveds takes on the Absa Cape Epic

· By Press Office · 51 comments

Jenny Rissveds took the mountain biking world by storm in 2016, announcing her arrival at the top end of the sport with some outstanding performances and then capping it all with the Olympic gold medal.

ccs-62657-0-17364400-1483516464.jpg

Now the 22-year-old Swedish star is taking a step into the unknown and will be competing in the 2017 Absa Cape Epic. She will be riding with her SCOTT-SRAM team manager Thomas Frischknecht, 46, in the Virgin Active Mixed category. Frischknecht himself has a long and outstanding mountain biking career with three world championship titles: two in the marathon discipline and another in cross country. He is also a four time Absa Cape Epic finisher.

ccs-62657-0-17547400-1483516463.jpgPhoto: Gary Perkin. Cape Epic.

Besides her Olympic heroics, in 2016 Rissveds won the Under-23 Cross Country World Championship and performed strongly in the World Cup series, dominating the Under-23 category and then winning the open event at Lenzerheide in Switzerland.

Her decision to join the race means that both Olympic mountain biking gold medallists will be in the field. Earlier this year men’s winner Nino Schurter of Switzerland announced that he would be racing in the Men’s category with countryman Matthias Stirnemann.

The Absa Cape Epic asked Rissveds a series of questions:

This will be your first Absa Cape Epic – what made you decide to do it?

“We have the SCOTT-SRAM team presentation in Stellenbosch the week prior to the Cape Epic. As I’m already there we figured the Cape Epic is worth a try. I have heard a lot of great things about it. Now it’s time to jump into the adventure myself.”

What do you know about the race?

“It’s tough – untamed and unpredictable, with a lot of surprises to be handled. It’s more difficult to prepare for it than for a cross country race.”

Have you been to South Africa before, and will you be coming out before the event?

“Yes, I have been to training camps in Stellenbosch a few times and I raced the World Championships in Pietermaritzburg. In 2017 I’m only coming for the team presentation and the Cape Epic.”

How are you going to approach the race: will you be racing in the Mixed Category or just enjoying the experience?

“I’m totally inexperienced in stage racing and have no clue how I will manage to get through the race, so I have no expectations at all. My only goal is getting through alive and getting experience for taking part in future.”

Have you done many stage races before?

“No – it’s my first mountain bike stage race.”

Have you raced in a two-person team race before?

“No, it’s also going to be a first. I hope my riding buddy and team manager Thomas Frischknecht, who has done the Cape Epic five times (finishing four times), can guide me through this adventure.”

How has the training been going?

“I got back in training (not long after the Olympics) and have slowly increased my training. Up here in Sweden the weather can make training difficult … which makes sure I don’t do any overtraining!

Related posts

Comments

Jaco-fiets

Jan 4, 2017, 8:03 AM

Damn! For a moment I hoped that she might be Ariane's partner for the epic

Gnarly

Jan 4, 2017, 8:05 AM

Good Lord, all of a sudden all the owes think it's a great route and will go watch everyday live. 

Robbie Stewart

Jan 4, 2017, 8:06 AM

And all of a sudden the spectator value, attendance and tv viewership just went through the roof...

:clap:  :clap:  :w00t:  :w00t: ... :oops:

lerouc

Jan 4, 2017, 8:15 AM

i'll make a plan to go watch a stage or 7.  :drool:

kosmonooit

Jan 4, 2017, 8:18 AM

Hmmm .. hope it doesn't mess up her XC season

FCH

Jan 4, 2017, 8:20 AM

Ja nee, kyk......

Skubarra

Jan 4, 2017, 8:39 AM

Pity her presence/talent is wasted in the mixed category, would much rather see her take on the ladies category

johnson

Jan 4, 2017, 8:40 AM

I Think Warren's gonna enjoy the Epic this year.....K@k route and all !

Jaco-fiets

Jan 4, 2017, 8:46 AM

Thomas you dirty old man! Acting like the mentor! He will make her ride in front the entire route. Lucky bastard

Matchstix

Jan 4, 2017, 8:57 AM

I think I will need to be at the epic this year! Wonder I the team wil , bringin their own, massuese/mechanic/barista

Suidwes Boytjie

Jan 4, 2017, 8:58 AM

Ek gaan saam... ek sit links voor!!!

shaper

Jan 4, 2017, 9:03 AM

You think they will be sharing a tent together???

Sepia

Jan 4, 2017, 9:04 AM

You think they will be sharing a tent together???

Not if I could help it.

Sepia

Jan 4, 2017, 9:05 AM

Ek gaan saam... ek sit links voor!!!

Hou vir my n stoel aub.

Paulst12

Jan 4, 2017, 10:27 AM

Any entries up for sale? :ph34r:  :eek:  :whistling:  :whistling: 

post-16639-0-54486300-1483525793_thumb.jpg

JXV

Jan 4, 2017, 10:50 AM

Any entries up for sale? :ph34r: :eek: :whistling: :whistling:

Is that a lift/bathroom selfie? I thought the hub disapproves of people who post those to inflate their egos? Just checking.....[emoji48]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

'Dale

Jan 4, 2017, 10:53 AM

Damn! For a moment I hoped that she might be Ariane's partner for the epic

They're pretty much managed by the bike brand they roll with

Is it confirmed that Langvad won't be in the chute?

Grease_Monkey

Jan 4, 2017, 11:18 AM

On a completely unrelated note, I'm doing the Epic this year haha

Jaco-fiets

Jan 4, 2017, 11:27 AM

They're pretty much managed by the bike brand they roll with

Is it confirmed that Langvad won't be in the chute?

Yip! Ariane said she will be announcing her partner soon. It looks like the organisers are trying to spread the contention field. Guess that is the reason Jenny and Robyn are also not pairing up for epic. Good call (for a change)

Gen

Jan 4, 2017, 11:43 AM

Yip! Ariane said she will be announcing her partner soon. It looks like the organisers are trying to spread the contention field. Guess that is the reason Jenny and Robyn are also not pairing up for epic. Good call (for a change)

Did I see right that Robyn and Sabine are pairing up?
Warren_G

Jan 4, 2017, 12:03 PM

Seriously tho hope she doesn't bomb out in the first few days!

EmptyB

Jan 4, 2017, 12:13 PM

Agreed, I'll be devastated!

I'm going to watch it live so I can propose to her.....

kosmonooit

Jan 4, 2017, 12:14 PM

Yup its a totally different game to XC, but I am sure she is getting good advice. Fellow team member and Olympian Gold Medallist Nino is also in right? And he has done it all before.

But looking back at last year, our ladies World Champ burnt one too many of her matches at the Epic, if could be said. I think she is still licking her wounds after she bombed out badly towards the end of the season

Just in case you missed it:

https://youtu.be/4UAonAnPODs

Suidwes Boytjie

Jan 4, 2017, 12:21 PM

Agreed, I'll be devastated!

I'm going to watch it live so I can propose to her.....

THIS ... Hahaha  :lol:

Add a comment

You must log in to comment