Jenny Rissveds takes on the Absa Cape Epic

Jenny Rissveds took the mountain biking world by storm in 2016, announcing her arrival at the top end of the sport with some outstanding performances and then capping it all with the Olympic gold medal.

Jenny Rissveds.jpg

Now the 22-year-old Swedish star is taking a step into the unknown and will be competing in the 2017 Absa Cape Epic. She will be riding with her SCOTT-SRAM team manager Thomas Frischknecht, 46, in the Virgin Active Mixed category. Frischknecht himself has a long and outstanding mountain biking career with three world championship titles: two in the marathon discipline and another in cross country. He is also a four time Absa Cape Epic finisher.

Gary Perkin. Cape Epic.jpg
Photo: Gary Perkin. Cape Epic.

Besides her Olympic heroics, in 2016 Rissveds won the Under-23 Cross Country World Championship and performed strongly in the World Cup series, dominating the Under-23 category and then winning the open event at Lenzerheide in Switzerland.

Her decision to join the race means that both Olympic mountain biking gold medallists will be in the field. Earlier this year men’s winner Nino Schurter of Switzerland announced that he would be racing in the Men’s category with countryman Matthias Stirnemann.

51 Comments

EmptyB, Jan 04 2017 02:25

You will have to get through me first and that will not be easy, CO2 knife an all.
There will be a queue anyway and you will certainly not be allowed to jump the gun, so to speak.

jeez chaps, have mercy on her delicate little soul.

I'm here already, first man in the queue....bazooka and all !!

Suidwes Boytjie, Jan 04 2017 02:26

Any entries up for sale? :ph34r:  :eek:  :whistling:  :whistling: 

LORD have mercy!!!  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:

Suidwes Boytjie, Jan 04 2017 02:27

Is that a lift/bathroom selfie? I thought the hub disapproves of people who post those to inflate their egos? Just checking.....[emoji48]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

She inflates more than just egos...  :whistling:

'Dale, Jan 04 2017 02:29

Rissveds may look like a 14 year old but she'll kick some seriaas butt

Olympic gold and rainbow colours in any format of cycling - seriaaas engine under the bonnet and the will power of note

Sepia, Jan 04 2017 02:40

Olympic gold and rainbow colours in any format of cycling - seriaaas engine under the bonnet and the will power of note

You see, coming from a converted roadie.  What's not to like about her?

Moridin, Jan 04 2017 04:03

Think she is doing this more as a recce ride for next year's Epic, which is probably why she is doing it with her coach.

Skubarra, Jan 04 2017 04:18

Think she is doing this more as a recce ride for next year's Epic, which is probably why she is doing it with her coach.

So her coach didn't tell her the route changes every year? Sneaky bastard...

CogitoErgoSum, Jan 04 2017 04:24

Uhm...

The question begs to be asked...

How do you know what 14year olds (dressed like her in the photo) look like?

😎

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Moridin, Jan 04 2017 04:48

So her coach didn't tell her the route changes every year? Sneaky bastard...

No, I think more to do with the conditions, and how to approach a stage race spanning a week. In other words, body conditioning, feeding, and power output management.

Moridin, Jan 04 2017 04:48

Uhm...

The question begs to be asked...

How do you know 14year olds (dressed like her in the photo) look like?

Ooh, eina. Dale is in a tight spot here.  :whistling:

Formallyknownas, Jan 04 2017 06:09

She's been doing lots of roadie training rides. As I see it, the lovely Jen is machine but the extreme difference in format may be hard suck up in such a short time. It's one thing to be super tech proficient for an XCO race but, will she hold out for daaaaaays of punishment?

Sepia, Jan 04 2017 08:39

No, I think more to do with the conditions, and how to approach a stage race spanning a week. In other words, body conditioning, feeding, and power output management.

Body conditioning?   Well err.... think she ticks the boxes on that one. 

Davey_Jones, Jan 05 2017 09:23

aaaannnndddd  in love! 

Warren_G, Jan 05 2017 04:03

She's been doing lots of roadie training rides. As I see it, the lovely Jen is machine but the extreme difference in format may be hard suck up in such a short time. It's one thing to be super tech proficient for an XCO race but, will she hold out for daaaaaays of punishment?

Exactly Formallyknownas, 3 factors that may be a bit much: SA heat, stage distances and number of stages. No matter how much you train with Nino (who also found the conditions tough even though he's a proper machine) that amount of suffering day after day is something I'm not sure she's ready for. Hope she proves me wrong though...

Jaco-fiets, Jan 05 2017 06:02

The competition in mixed cat is not that hard. Won't have to over exceed themselves to cream it

Formallyknownas, Jan 05 2017 08:27

Exactly Formallyknownas, 3 factors that may be a bit much: SA heat, stage distances and number of stages. No matter how much you train with Nino (who also found the conditions tough even though he's a proper machine) that amount of suffering day after day is something I'm not sure she's ready for. Hope she proves me wrong though...

To be honest, I'd far rather see Jen become the undisputed Queen of XCO.

EmptyB, Jan 05 2017 08:56

To be honest, I'd far rather see Jen become the undisputed Queen of XCO.

Agreed!!

TheJ, Jan 09 2017 10:27

Serious Panda, Jan 09 2017 11:04

I`m confused! It`s the dreaded gym mirror selfie but somehow its not a problem in this case? :wacko:

Warren_G, Jan 09 2017 11:55

I`m confused! It`s the dreaded gym mirror selfie but somehow its not a problem in this case? :wacko:

No i'm confused, i'm not sure how you can have problem with that picture?!?!

Serious Panda, Jan 09 2017 12:49

No i'm confused, i'm not sure how you can have problem with that picture?!?!

It`s never ok to take gym selfies in the mirror, unless it is for comedy purposes.

Warren_G, Jan 09 2017 12:57

It`s never ok to take gym selfies in the mirror, unless it is for comedy purposes.

But if you don't take a picture it didn't happen 😂

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

CogitoErgoSum, Jan 09 2017 01:01

But if you don't take a picture it didn't happen 😂

She is so hideous. If there wasn't any photo evidence that she has been to the gym, one would have never known....

And her training attire sure doesn't hurt

Warren_G, Jan 09 2017 01:30

Then call me a clown 😂20161221_175947.jpg

Jaco-fiets, Jan 09 2017 01:48

Let's not forget..............