Events

Leading South African is riding to his Max

· By Press Office · 0 comments

Max Knox, the leading South African rider at the Absa Cape Epic, is finding himself in an unusual space at this year’s race.

He says his partner, powerhouse Columbian climber Hector Leonardo Paez Leon, ‘is much stronger than I am so I just try and hang on his wheel. It is all I can do. He is learning how to push me … it is the first time I have ever been pushed”.

ccs-62657-0-95629800-1490385820.jpgHector Leonardo Paez Leon and Max Knox of Kansai Plascon during stage 5 of the 2017 Absa Cape Epic Mountain Bike stage race held from Oak Valley Wine Estate in Elgin, South Africa on the 24th March 2017. Photo by Nick Muzik/Cape Epic/SPORTZPICS

In spite of this and some bad luck with mechanical issues, the Kansai Plascon team have been one of the most consistent teams at this year’s event, finishing fifth on four of the six stages so far. Their best position was a fourth on Stage 2, although with 15km to go on Stage 4 they were in a strong position to win before a puncture pushed them back to fifth.

Overall they are lying fourth, just 14 minutes 30 seconds behind the leaders, Nino Schurter and Matthias Stirnemann (Scott-Sram-MTB Racing) with what is sure to be the toughest stage of this year’s race still to come. Some pundits are talking up the strong climbing duo as potential stage winners on Saturday in the tough 103km stage that contains a massive 2 750m of vertical climbing.

“It has been a very hard race and we have not had our fair share of good luck, so if we can get on the podium it would be incredible, especially when you think of the incredible standard of competition at this year’s event,” said Knox after finishing Stage 5 on Friday.

“There are two more hard days to go and I think a lot of people’s legs are sore, so there is still a while to go.

“The Scott guys went hard (on Friday) and Sauser was ridden off the wheels with us and then I could not hold his wheel. Unfortunately then it was just damage control and hanging in there until the end.

“In this Epic, to do well overall you have to be consistent and try and have as trouble-free a ride as possible. In our team the dynamics are not bad. Leonardo is a professional and he is one of the best riders in the world so it is an honour for me to ride with him and learn from him.

Related posts

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment