Events

SA team announced for MTB Marathon World Champs in Italy

· By Press Office · 13 comments

Cycling South Africa’s Mountain Bike Commission has great pleasure in announcing that the following riders have been selected to represent South Africa at the 2015 UCI Mountain Bike Marathon World Championships in Selva Val Gardena in the Dolomites, Italy, on 27 June.

Men:

Max Knox

Women:

Robyn de Groot

Those riders who qualified through the UCI World Marathon Series that intend to participate in the Marathon World Champs are required to send their information to Dellah Paul dellah@cyclingsa.com so that the entry can be processed.

ccs-62657-0-09749600-1433945225.jpg

Men’s Elite rider, Max Knox (Biogen-Volcan) has been selected to represent South Africa at the 2015 UCI Mountain Bike Marathon World Championships in Selva Val Gardena in the Dolomites, Italy, on 27 June © Craig Dutton/pics2go.co.za

The venue of Selva Val Gardena is located in the mountains of the Italian Dolomites and competitors of the Mountain Bike Marathon World Champs will be set for some truly mountainous terrain. Serving as a popular skiing venue in the winter months, Selva Gardena also provides the perfect topography for mountain biking in the summer months.

At 1563m above sea level, the start of the Men’s 87km race heads straight up to an altitude of 2298m in the first 5km. The undulating terrain takes them across mountain paths bringing them back down into the villages below. The highest points along the route are 2315m at Sourasass (40km into the race) and 2478m at Porta Vescovo.

ccs-62657-0-23850400-1433945151.jpg

Team Ascendis Health rider, Robyn de Groot will be representing South Africa in the 60km long Elite Women’s race at the 2015 UCI Mountain Bike Marathon World Championships in Selva Val Gardena in the Dolomites, Italy, on 27 June © Craig Dutton/pics2go.co.za

View the 3D track for the Men’s race here:

The Women’s race tackles a similar trail with the same start, cutting out two sections along the route to create a shorter 60km distance. They will also climb to 2298m in the first 5km. The highest part of the route will be just before the 40km mark at Passo Pordoi, at 2239m, and again at Passo Sella (2240m), approximately 47km into the race.

View the 3D track for the Women’s race here:

Congratulations on your selection and we wish you every success.

Comments

rock

Jun 10, 2015, 3:29 PM

is that it?

Benjamin

Jun 10, 2015, 3:51 PM

is that it?

Ha . Big fanfare for 2 names. Good luck Max, give it horns bru. Nice sounding climb from the start there, just to ease into the race.

Larry King

Jun 10, 2015, 7:50 PM

No offence to Max, he is a legend. But surely there are some other guys showing better form right now?

Odinson

Jun 10, 2015, 7:56 PM

Big up to De Groot and Knox. I wish them the best.

But the Europeans are going to wipe the floor with them. Won't be anything new. 

Edit: It's weird to see Knox, who isn't the current SA Marathon champ, represent the country at the Marathon World Champs. 

IdeJongh

Jun 11, 2015, 5:50 AM

No offence to Max, he is a legend. But surely there are some other guys showing better form right now?

Think its highly dependent on the course, I big climbing race like this Max is probably the rider to go with.

Just go back to Sabie Classic to see what I mean.

BigD

Jun 11, 2015, 11:33 AM

Think its highly dependent on the course, I big climbing race like this Max is probably the rider to go with.

Just go back to Sabie Classic to see what I mean.

Agreed, he smoked Sabie this year and with new sponsor and backing, hopefully hes got his head on right and found some new motivation

VicanZA

Jun 11, 2015, 1:31 PM

sure next week they gonna be on here asking for sponsorship...

Sharkie 2

Jun 11, 2015, 2:21 PM

Crazy, surely CSA can send more riders?

Even U/23's !?

Watch and see what a joke the Road Champs squad is going to be....yet again 

nonky

Jun 11, 2015, 2:34 PM

2 PEOPLE - that's it?

Jeez, that's not even a half-hearted effort by CSA - is it supposed to be a joke?

Cylon

Jun 17, 2015, 10:20 AM

Apparently Robyn has pulled out so wonder who her replacement will be or if CSA will even send a female rider?

Sharkie 2

Jun 17, 2015, 11:28 AM

Apparently Robyn has pulled out so wonder who her replacement will be or if CSA will even send a female rider?

Source if the info?

If so surely Cherise must go

I see CSA have set up incentives as well, seems that you can enter yourself if you have qualified, CSA are only sending two riders at their cost it seems

BrandonF_

Jun 17, 2015, 11:43 AM

CSA....another joke, just like....... (you know what)

NotSoBigBen

Jun 17, 2015, 11:45 AM

Source if the info?

If so surely Cherise must go

I see CSA have set up incentives as well, seems that you can enter yourself if you have qualified, CSA are only sending two riders at their cost it seems

Robyn said last night on Supercycling that she won't be going ....

Add a comment

You must log in to comment