Events

Sabine Spitz and rising star Belomoina will mix it with the Cape Epic favourites

· By Press Office · 7 comments

She’s 43-years-old and still racing among the world’s elite after a career that includes an Olympic gold medal and a Cross Country World Championship title. Her partner has just emerged from the under-23 ranks, is a former age group World Champion and is now ranked fourth best cross country mountain biker in the world.

German mountain biking legend Sabine Spitz and rising star Yana Belomoina of the Ukraine might make for an unlikely Absa Cape Epic pairing, but between them they have the pedigree to put heat on the dominant combination of Swede Annika Langvad and Ariane Kleinhans of Switzerland.

ccs-62657-0-47993300-1453195736.jpgSabine Spitz.

The Absa Cape Epic Women’s category has been won comfortably in the past two years by the polished Langvad/Kleinhans combination, but in 2016 they will face a number of very determined opponents.

On paper Spitz and Belomoina’s Team Sport for Good should run the favourites close, but Spitz is aware that their lack of experience of the world’s premier mountain bike stage race might be telling.

“It is my first start at the Cape Epic, so the main target has to be to finish in a good way,” Spitz said. “It’s difficult to say more than that because I don’t have any Epic experience.” But she added: “My partner and I normally focus on cross country but if we have a chance to go for the overall, why not? At least we want to snatch a stage win.”

Spitz finished on the podium at the 2004 (bronze), 2008 (gold) and 2012 (silver) Olympic Games and clearly believes her younger partner has the ability to get similar results: “She is young, hungry, very talented and a very strong climber. She had a very strong season and with top results under her belt she got a lot of self-confidence. I’m pretty sure we will see more top races from her in the future.”

ccs-62657-0-72112900-1453195736.jpgYana Belomoina.

Belomoina was the Under-23 Cross Country World Champion in 2014 and finished the UCI senior World Cup last year ranked an exceptional fourth. She finished third in the 2015 elite World Championship held in Vallnord, Andorra.

Spitz said she had planned to race the 2015 Absa Cape Epic but could not settle on an ideal teammate: “For the 2016 Epic it now looks perfect. I think we are a very interesting combination, with one of the youngest and maybe one of the oldest participants,” Spitz laughed.

Given that this will be her first Absa Cape Epic, what does she know about the race? “You have to be physically very well prepared; it puts an enormous strain on both rider and bike; it requires that there is harmony between teammates; it’s very popular, not only in South Africa but also in Germany; and it’s very well organised”.

“From what I have learned so far about the route it all looks very good and interesting,” Spitz added. “There is a lot of climbing and with the typically rough surfaces it will be very hard.”

She said her training schedule had been going exactly to plan, partly thanks to the mild winter in Germany.

Related posts

Comments

Andrew Steer

Jan 19, 2016, 10:41 AM

Sounds like it could be a pretty potent team! Sabine is a monster on a bike and I reckon well suited to the Epic... hope her young partner can hang on there, she does seem to have serious potential! Ladies race should be interesting this year!

TheJ

Jan 19, 2016, 11:53 AM

Mountainbike Bundesliga XC 2015 in Bad Säckingen .
1. Yana Belomoina
2. Helen Grobert
3. Linda Indergand
4. Sabine Spitz
5. Irina Kalentyeva

I think Sabine is going to be the one that holds on. Yana is a super skinny girl though, so possibly Sabine would have a bit more in the tank for the long stuff. But then, look at Sauser...

Yana Belomoina

Born: November 2, 1992 (age 23), Lutsk, Ukraine

Height: 1.64 m

Weight: 46 kg

46 Kilos... :eek: 
Andrew Steer

Jan 19, 2016, 12:16 PM

1. Yana Belomoina

2. Helen Grobert

3. Linda Indergand

4. Sabine Spitz

5. Irina Kalentyeva

I think Sabine is going to be the one that holds on. Yana is a super skinny girl though, so possibly Sabine would have a bit more in the tank for the long stuff. But then, look at Sauser...

Yana Belomoina

Yip, her weight will give her the edge on tough climbing XC courses... Epics a bit more dirt roads etc though where Sabine is also a powerhouse. Could form a pretty powerful combo! 46kg's though is crazy small... she better eat enough out on the route, can't be much in reserve there  :eek:

NelAndre

Jan 19, 2016, 12:21 PM

1. Yana Belomoina

2. Helen Grobert

3. Linda Indergand

4. Sabine Spitz

5. Irina Kalentyeva

Yana Belomoina

46 kilo's...goodness gracious the Cape winds might be a problem.... :whistling:

TheJ

Jan 19, 2016, 1:08 PM

46 kilo's...goodness gracious the Cape winds might be a problem.... :whistling:

This is what 46kg looks like. And funny to think that this lass would LAP just about anyone here in an XC race. Twice.

http://xsport.ua/upload/08.14/10697418_789927131069375_63.jpg

Bianchi Baby

Jan 19, 2016, 1:11 PM

This is what 46kg looks like. And funny to think that this lass would LAP just about anyone here in an XC race. Twice.

http://xsport.ua/upload/08.14/10697418_789927131069375_63.jpg[/quote

Clearly she doesn't like food as much as I do! (Said while stuffing my face for the umpteenth time today ????)

Edit:spelling

Marius

Jan 20, 2016, 9:37 AM

Will be nice seeing the ladies slip each other this time around, should make for more exciting racing. 

Add a comment

You must log in to comment