Events

Phil Buys edges closer to Rio

By Press Office · 0 comments

It was a wet and muddy affair this past weekend at the Pietermaritzburg MTB Festival. The XCO was rated as a UCI HC (hors class) event, which means that there were more points up for grabs leading up to the Rio Olympics. Aspiring Olympics qualifiers did not let the most horrid conditions keep them from getting on their bikes and racing their hearts out. Even after a delayed start and reduced laps, the first part of the race was at times unrideable. When elite riders have to uncleat and push their bikes up the hills, you know it’s a tough day.

… We were forced to run. I found this very challenging and lost big chunks of time as I am not a fan of running at all.
Arno du Toit

For Team Scott LCB, it was a true test of their character. After the race Phil Buys commented on Twitter that on days like this, “planning, a solid support team and equipment” make a massive difference. Team manager Ruan Lochner commented that the “HC race in PMB was the 2nd biggest Olympic qualification race next to African Champs, where we finished 1st and 3rd. Conditions on the day were very tough. This not only tested the riders physically, but also their mental attitudes and all team aspects of preparation before the race. We made the right choices on the day and that showed in our results.” When asked to elaborate on the technical choices, Lochner explained that it came down to choosing the right lubrication, tyres and pedals. The team used Liqui Moly Tacky Lube spray on the frame, and ran Maxxis Beaver tyres and Look pedals, which worked perfectly in the muddy conditions.

ccs-62657-0-37039800-1462276170.jpg

In the end, it all boiled down to the mental attitude of the rider. Phil Buys commented: “The fastest riders were the ones who accepted the conditions and made a mental switch. Although our equipment gave us the edge, it was a mental survival race.” Both him and teammate Arno du Toit finished the race in strong positions. Buys again grabbed 3rd spot on the podium and was the first SA rider across the finish line. Arno du Toit finished 5th and walked away with the bragging rights of the fastest lap time of all the SA riders.

In terms of how the results affect his chances of going to the Olympics, Phil Buys said: “This weekend’s race was important for me. I’ve only won Continental Champs and the rest of my results have been consistent 3rd places. Coming third is not a win, but it has given me valuable UCI points and a chance to test myself against two strong international athletes.”

With the Rio Olympics a few months away, Phil Buys is locked in a tight three-way battle for one of potentially two spots to Rio. James Reid and youngster Alan Hatherly are Buys’ fiercest competitors. With one race left in Port Elizabeth in mid-May, this weekend was of utmost importance. Reid withdrew midway in the race due to technical difficulties and Hatherly finished in 6th position, highlighting the significance of Buys’ stellar effort under difficult conditions.

Related posts

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment