Events

Team Spur’s James Reid and JP Jacobs are off to Rio

· By Press Office · 0 comments

Team Spur’s James Reid was named as part of the South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee’s (SASCOC) Olympic team in an official announcement on Thursday, 14 July. The 23-year-old mountain biker will compete for his country in the cross-country (XCO) discipline in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on Sunday, 21 August 2016.

“It’s the pinnacle of sporting events globally and to be part of it in 2016 is something I haven’t quite processed to be honest!” an elated James said from Pietermaritzburg, where he is preparing to defend his 2015 South African Cross-Country Championship title on Saturday, 16 July.

ccs-62657-0-17041600-1468610932.jpg

James landed back in South Africa this week after a two-month stint racing the UCI XCO World Cup series across Europe, as well as representing South Africa in the UCI XCO World Championships in the Czech Republic.

James and 20-year-old mountain bike protégé Alan Hatherly form the two-man mountain bike team who will be gunning for glory against the sport’s biggest names in Rio.

Thankfully, they will both have incredible support on hand in Rio. JP Jacobs, Team Spur’s technical manager, was also selected on Thursday in the role of mountain bike team mechanic. JP’s cool, calm head and years of experience will provide a solid platform for James and Alan’s success. JP has also recently returned from supporting Team Spur as well as Team South Africa across Europe.

“What a privilege and dream come true to represent my country on the biggest platform in sport,” JP said from Team Spur’s Pietermaritzburg base. “This is the high point of my career, and I can’t wait to support these two amazing athletes on the mountain bike course in Rio. There’s obviously a lot of people behind the scenes who have made this possible, not least of all my incredible wife, Pauline and our two boys at home.”

“It’s been a tight fight for selection between the three of us [Hatherly and former Olympian Philip Buys] but I think Alan and Philip have definitely raised the game in going after selection,” James reflected. “We haven’t seen this level in domestic racing since Burry [stander, mutiple South African XCO Champion, U23 World Champion and fifth at the London Olympics in 2012].”

Stander was tragically killed in a car accident, near his home in Ballito Kwa-Zulu Natal in January 2013, while out training on his bike.

“It’s especially important for me that I have been selected to represent South Africa in the race where Burry is remembered by so many people. He got incredibly close [stander had a miserable start at the London Olympics mountain bike event and fought back hard to challenge the podium] and was an inspiration to us all. I was watching that race four years ago and I decided, in four years I want to be there.”

“Fulfilling that journey has been immensely satisfying, despite all the ups and downs, and yet there’s so much to improve on. At the end of the day it’s a ticket to the world’s biggest mountain biking party – it is a privilege and one I intend to use fully!”

But there’s no time to crack out the champagne and celebrate selection just yet. This weekend it’s business as usual as James and his Team Spur support staff are focused on the South African XCO Championships.

James, who is now based in Stellenbosch, will be looking to defend his 2015 national title in his old hometown of Pietermaritzburg. He is expecting a tough battle from plenty of challengers eager to unseat the soon-to-be Olympian.

To watch live action of the fight for South Africa’s national jersey tomorrow, head to www.streamit360.tv at 2pm.

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment