Events

William and Phillimon aim for Exxaro jersey and top 5 African team

· By Press Office · 0 comments

Well-known cyclists Phillimon Sebona and William Mokgopo are proud to announce their decision to take on this year’s Absa Cape Epic as a team. However, lack of bike sponsorship stands in the way of reaching their dream. The duo, now known as team PHILLIAM are riders to watch out for having raked in impressive wins over the years to earn their stripes at pro level.

ccs-62657-0-04683400-1488790165.jpg

With a burning desire to compete in the prestigious “untamed” Cape Epic race that is taking place from 19-26 March 2017, the team made an appeal for assistance to get an entry to participate. Cape Epic itself and the Diepsloot Mountain Bike Academy were generous enough to give a helping hand. However, they are in desperate need of bike sponsorship.

In preparation for the Cape Epic, the team competed in the Bridgestone Route66 stage race, which took place from 17-19 February 2017. Despite the fact that they raced with loaned bikes, the team put on a stunning performance finishing a close second and winning the final stage. Such is the determination of these two young men.

“I’m really happy to be riding with William again. I think that this year is going to be a great year with the competition being really tough. It is going to be an interesting race. But we are going in to give it our all,” said Phillimon, a two time winner of the Exxaro category.

This year Phillimon has set his sights on an even bigger prize with his partner William. “This is my last year trying out for the Exxaro Category Jersey and what better way than with my first Cape Epic partner and two-time winner of the jersey, Phillimon. We are aiming for a bigger goal this time around to try for the top 5 African jersey, which is going to be a tough one to get”, said William.

ccs-62657-0-29795500-1488790164.jpg

Team Background

William Mokgopo hails from the dusty streets of Diepsloot and Phillimon Sebona was raised on the farms near Middleburg. Both having turned 25 years this month and only two days apart, these accomplished riders are at the peak of their cycling careers.

The pair met in 2012 when they rode for Exxaro taking on their first Cape Epic race as a team. They put on an impressive performance. After a difficult start where they finished 421st on the first day, the team clawed its way to finish 57th overall with two top 30 finishes on stage 6 and 7. Since then, while riding for different teams, they have graced the winning podiums in numerous races.

Five years later, now at pro level, the two riders are back together again and ready to do battle in the “Untamed” race. Team PHILLIAM asks generous sponsors to open their hearts to help realise its dream.

Related posts

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment