Adverse analytical finding in recent mountain bike stage race

Cycling SA received notification from the UCI (International Cycling Union) of an adverse analytical finding from a sample provided by Barry Warmback on 18 March 2013 at the Absa Cape Epic.
The analytical report confirmed the presence of the steroid, Stanozolol in his sample. Barry is therefore provisionally suspended with immediate effect from competing in any event. The SAIDS (South African Institute of Drug-free Sport) process will now take its course.

Cycling SA reiterates its zero-tolerance approach to doping in sport and will continue working with the UCI and SAIDS in the promotion of a drug-free sport via its awareness programmes and extensive testing.

879 Comments

gummibear, May 23 2013 10:09

From Cape Epic website

Ride It | Anti-Doping
The Absa Cape Epic conforms to the World Anti-Doping Code as laid out by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) and works with the UCI and the South African Institute for Drug-Free Sport to ensure the Code is properly implemented at the race and amongst cyclists in South Africa. Stringent and comprehensive doping control is conducted at the race by the UCI and the Institute.

Any athlete (professional or amateur) sanctioned by their federation or national anti-doping authority (NADA) for use of performance enhancing drugs (PEDs) after 1 January 2013, whether at another event or out of competition, will be banned for life from participating in the Absa Cape Epic. Not only will the person not be allowed to participate (as an amateur rider or UCI- licensed elite), but the individual will also be banned from being involved on any level including as a team manager.
As is stipulated in the race rules, the organisers reserve the right to test all participants and therefore, per the WADA Code, the onus is on the athlete to check that any substances or methods used do not appear on WADA's current List of Prohibited Substances and Methods.

Medal taken away and a ban for what is most likely an innocent mistake.

Ferret69, May 23 2013 10:10

Just spoke to a Mate of Barry, CSA have posted this "named" release without even notifying the athlete himself... He is dumbstruck. Surely the athlete must be notified first???

Clinton H, May 23 2013 10:11

ooops ! , you can still compete on Strava though ....

Wyatt Earp, May 23 2013 10:12

STFU

That is what I will do.

STFU

Red Zone, May 23 2013 10:13

Just spoke to a Mate of Barry, CSA have posted this "named" release without even notifying the athlete himself... He is dumbstruck. Surely the athlete must be notified first???

When you have the "moral high ground" you can do what you want apparently

Iron, May 23 2013 10:13

What !

am i missing something , why people dope is beyond me but to add to my "WTF " thought . why would a person who is not even a top finisher do it :blink:

rouxtjie, May 23 2013 10:15

What !

am i missing something , why people dope is beyond me but to add to my "WTF " thought . why would a person who is not even a top finisher do it :blink:

+1, why larry....why?

DIPSLICK, May 23 2013 10:15

What !

cause we weekend warrior race snails :whistling: :whistling:

Iron, May 23 2013 10:20

cause we weekend warrior race snails :whistling: :whistling:

my word dopping hackers , what next :unsure:

Tumbleweed, May 23 2013 10:21

I would imagine so.

Ferret69, May 23 2013 10:21

+1, why larry....why?

Gotta remember everyone who competes in Sani/Epic etc are not always Serious Mountain Bikers...

They may be Top Triathletes/Rugby Players/Rowers etc etc etc just doing this for Off Season Fun...

DIPSLICK, May 23 2013 10:21

I would imagine so.

apparently NOT

Andrew Steer, May 23 2013 10:22

What !

It would appear to be accidental from what Dips says...
And surely money would be better spent on testing the top 10 of all the various categories... there is plenty of Ego doping going on there me thinks :cursing:

hayleyearth, May 23 2013 10:25

My Sani partner thinks I was doping on day2 and 3 ..... ^_^

Luckily we were almost RIGHT at the back, so they didnt bother testing me.

davem, May 23 2013 10:26

The next paragraph from Wikipedia was left off the quote on the prev page:

"Stanozolol is one of the anabolic steroids commonly used as a performance enhancing drug and is banned from use in sports competition under the auspices of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) and many other sporting bodies. Additionally, stanozolol has been used in US horse racing.[1]"

Accidental ingestion seems unlikely. The nature of the conditions it is used to treat would indicate serious consideration by a doctor with understanding of exercise activities and thus the understanding of the need for a TUE. This ain't treatment for a cold.

Iron, May 23 2013 10:27

And surely money would be better spent on testing the top 10 of all the various categories... there is plenty of Ego doping going on there me thinks :cursing:

they should start with the sub vets !

Andrew Steer, May 23 2013 10:27

My Sani partner thinks I was doping on day2 and 3 ..... ^_^

Luckily we were almost RIGHT at the back, so they didnt bother testing me.

I always wondered what you were putting in those Roosterbroodjies... :drool: (spl)

DIPSLICK, May 23 2013 10:28

NOOOOO NOT ME DIDNT SAY THAT I AM IN ENOUGH ***
NOT DIPS NOT DIPS

Wyatt Earp, May 23 2013 10:29

The beauty of this however, mistake or no mistake.
Somehow I think this was not all intentional.
But yes the beauty of it, now hopefully those amateur dopers will get a bit of a wake up call knowing they could also possibly be tested .

Vetseun, May 23 2013 10:32

I have seen people dope in Bloemfontein. I mean get real. Dope to win a race in Bloem. What a joke.
Go to JHB and race with the real men!
It appears as if some people will do what it takes.

stringbean, May 23 2013 10:32

I'm pretty sure this was not just a random test.As said before that would be a waste of money.They must of acted on a tip off.

davem, May 23 2013 10:36

Ironman offers a retroactive TUE process for age groupers.

If you have a random test and test positive and it was part of ongoing treatrment with full medical history, they will grant a retrospective TUE. This stops SAIDS from being inundated with every athlete applying for TUE for every medication.

I would imagine a different standard of scrutiny would apply if you are a podium contender or a middle of the packer.

Makes good sense.

Ferret69, May 23 2013 10:37

The next paragraph from Wikipedia was left off the quote on the prev page:

"Stanozolol is one of the anabolic steroids commonly used as a performance enhancing drug and is banned from use in sports competition under the auspices of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) and many other sporting bodies. Additionally, stanozolol has been used in US horse racing.[1]"

Accidental ingestion seems unlikely. The nature of the conditions it is used to treat would indicate serious consideration by a doctor with understanding of exercise activities and thus the understanding of the need for a TUE. This ain't treatment for a cold.

100% davem, Also this being one of the most Famous Drugs in history, being what Ben Johnson got bust for in the 100m in 1988 Olympics.

However it does treat Anemia, so if you have a lack of iron and your Doc wants to prescribe the Tabs, Are you as a back of the fielder going to First say, "hang on i may get tested here, lets try something Different"

Probably not in the past..

But most of us possibly will now...

davem, May 23 2013 10:37

Ben Johnson was stripped of his gold medal in the 100 meter sprint at the 1988 Summer Olympics when he tested positive for stanozolol after winning the final.

ShowDem, May 23 2013 10:41

I just started a course of Stanozolol about 2 weeks ago. Results have been solid

BEFORE
Posted Image

AFTER

Posted Image