Adverse analytical finding in recent mountain bike stage race

Cycling SA received notification from the UCI (International Cycling Union) of an adverse analytical finding from a sample provided by Barry Warmback on 18 March 2013 at the Absa Cape Epic.
The analytical report confirmed the presence of the steroid, Stanozolol in his sample. Barry is therefore provisionally suspended with immediate effect from competing in any event. The SAIDS (South African Institute of Drug-free Sport) process will now take its course.

Cycling SA reiterates its zero-tolerance approach to doping in sport and will continue working with the UCI and SAIDS in the promotion of a drug-free sport via its awareness programmes and extensive testing.

879 Comments

GLuvsMtb, Oct 04 2013 10:57

And he is probably making more money now.

If Hansie Cronje was still alive he would probably have worked for SuperSport now and be making more than what any book maker ever offered him.

Kranswurm, Oct 04 2013 11:03

If Hansie Cronje was still alive he would probably have worked for SuperSport now and be making more than what any book maker ever offered him.

Don't you worry
Hansie was looked after by his fans and the business world after the whole debacle
I bumped into him on a flight and he was financial director of some outfit.Slips my mind the companies name

dracs, Oct 04 2013 02:05

Don't you worry
Hansie was looked after by his fans and the business world after the whole debacle
I bumped into him on a flight and he was financial director of some outfit.Slips my mind the companies name

FM for Bell Equipment IIRC...

GoLefty!!, Oct 04 2013 04:44

Slightly off topic, but probably relevant.
Owen Hannie was busted in 2002 for doping, confessed in 2006 on Super Cycling, soon afterwards was employed as a TV presenter and next year will be riding for ABSA Wealth in the 2014 Epic.

How long should someone pay his dues for past indiscretions? 12 years is probably sufficient, but every time I see his face on TV I remember the embarrassment Hannie caused at the African Games in 2002.

but we all tune in to boost their ratings, all sign up for funrides and pay the CSA fees, and all lust after riding that race.

If you don't like the system then opt out of it. Don't bitch about it while participating.