Anti-Doping Rule Violation: Tyronne White

Cycling South Africa reports that Tyronne White has been found guilty of an anti-doping rule violation after an in-competition test conducted on 30 April 2016 confirmed the presence of the Glucocorticoid, Dexamethasone.

The SAIDS Independent Doping Hearing Panel imposed a period of ineligibility of 18 months, commencing on 14 December 2016. Mr. White is therefore suspended and prohibited from competing and administering in the sport of Cycling as well as in any other sport in South Africa and Internationally from 14 December 2016 until 13 June 2018. This decision may be appealed by Mr. White, the UCI, WADA and SAIDS.

Cycling South Africa respects the independence of the SAIDS process and will respect the outcome. Cycling SA further reiterates its zero-tolerance approach to doping in sport and will continue working with SAIDS in the promotion of a drug-free sport via its awareness and extensive testing programmes.

278 Comments

FCH, Dec 28 2016 01:49

Hence assume in inverted commas; if he is so certain it was due to the meds they gave, he should surely be able to name it?

Yes it is the athletes responsibility.

Long Wheel Base, Dec 28 2016 01:57

So just to be clear? Can he do the epic in a few years time?
#AskingForAFriend

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk

RyanAW, Dec 28 2016 02:05

Excuse my ignorance, but what happens to the money that he won at j2c while doping?

Mudsimus, Dec 28 2016 02:48

You must be a special kind of stupid to use Dexamethasone as a performance enhancing drug. It is an anti inflammatory, and the reason it is banned is because it prevents altitude sickness and can therefore enhance performance in for instance skyrunners. But it also causes atrophy of muscles in the long run.

V12man, Dec 28 2016 03:13

One would 'assume' they can name the meds given to him for the chunderi then??
which begs the question; whom should take responsibilty on this- the medics stocking meds thats on banned list; or should the riders sit and google each pills ingredients before popping them....

The RIDER is responsible for what medication he/she takes - NOTHING to do with the medics who treat him - they treat his medical condition as MEDICALLY appropriate - anti doping rules are sports rules - NOT medical rules - and the medic is only obliged to treat the patient to the best of their ability - in point of fact I would not be surprised at all if a recommendation was made to the athlete to not continue participation in the event due to their medical condition - fortunately. medics are also NOT POLICEMEN, and often patients continue on Against Medical Advice......

As much as I like Ty - he knows it's his responsibility to check what he takes before he takes it - and he does take responsibility for it - all he can do really is ask for a reduction in penalty on some kind of basis - such as not being in full command of his senses at the time due to his medical condition (perhaps somewhat understandable) - as a mitigating factor for the penalty

The only person to blame here is Ty - unless the medic made a mistake about what they treated him with and actually gave him an incorrect drug (not the one the meant to give him - so opened the wrong packet basically - and somehow didn't notice).

V12man, Dec 28 2016 03:24

Also, why does the race medical shed even have banned stuff to administer to competitors...? If your condition is bad enough to warrant requiring "the good stuff", then you should need to pull out of the race and declare requiring banned meds as the reason.

See my comment on whose medication rules the anti doping rules are..... and if you read the anti doping rules, you will notice the athlete is responsible for what they take....

I treat patient/athletes as they need to be treated medically - they can choose to follow or not follow my advice at their own risk - and this includes withdrawing from a race, or asking for a TUE form to be completed at the time.

Remember - there is no course at medical school that qualifies a doctor on the contents of the restricted drug list.... they are NOT obliged to know at all - and actually in my opinion, should not care what is on the list - just treat the patient appropriately for their condition.

Kalahari Vegmot, Dec 28 2016 03:27

Jip, riders know full and well what they are taking and why.
A healthy male cyclist should not have to take any medification for anything, and yet every pro seems to have a disease that is only treatable with some dodgy meds...

Is it just me, or is this just too convenient?

All this talk of riders not knowing that they took something fishy is bull.

Cippo, Dec 28 2016 03:28

I may be wrong but I can't see why any emergency tent would administer a cortisone for nausea or dehydration. Nowhere is it mentioned in his explanation that he had an allergic reaction to something.

V12man, Dec 28 2016 03:31

I may be wrong but I can't see why any emergency tent would administer a cortisone for nausea or dehydration. Nowhere is it mentioned in his explanation that he had an allergic reaction to something.

Its a glucocorticiod  - there are many uses....

Cippo, Dec 28 2016 03:32

Noted V12, I have given Phenergan as an anti -emetic but never heard of dexamethasone been used. Will have to read up further.

FCH, Dec 28 2016 03:47

Think I pretty clearly stated, ultimate responsibilty stops with the athlete a page earlier.

The RIDER is responsible for what medication he/she takes - NOTHING to do with the medics who treat him - they treat his medical condition as MEDICALLY appropriate - anti doping rules are sports rules - NOT medical rules - and the medic is only obliged to treat the patient to the best of their ability - in point of fact I would not be surprised at all if a recommendation was made to the athlete to not continue participation in the event due to their medical condition - fortunately. medics are also NOT POLICEMEN, and often patients continue on Against Medical Advice......

As much as I like Ty - he knows it's his responsibility to check what he takes before he takes it - and he does take responsibility for it - all he can do really is ask for a reduction in penalty on some kind of basis - such as not being in full command of his senses at the time due to his medical condition (perhaps somewhat understandable) - as a mitigating factor for the penalty

The only person to blame here is Ty - unless the medic made a mistake about what they treated him with and actually gave him an incorrect drug (not the one the meant to give him - so opened the wrong packet basically - and somehow didn't notice).

Kalahari Vegmot, Dec 28 2016 03:53

Think I pretty clearly stated, ultimate responsibilty stops with the athlete a page earlier.

Then why are you worried about it?

FCH, Dec 28 2016 03:58

What are you on about?

Then why are you worried about it?

shaper, Dec 28 2016 04:02

Ag shame! He was podium chasing. ...should know better, no one else to blame!

RocknRolla, Dec 28 2016 04:18

Who?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IH8MUD, Dec 28 2016 04:25

Its a glucocorticiod  - there are many uses....

True . . . very many uses.  I am not arguing  with you. 

Noted V12, I have given Phenergan as an anti -emetic but never heard of dexamethasone been used. Will have to read up further.

But as an anti-emetic ? In a first aid setting at a race.  

Surely metoclopramide, cyclizine, promethazine, ondansetron  is preferred anti-emetics available on the market in this context? 

Mudsimus, Dec 28 2016 04:27

Well he still gets full support from his bike sponsor. Maybe they know something we dont.

Long Wheel Base, Dec 28 2016 07:39

What are you on about?

Who knows. Half his posts don't make sense. The other half are about it being Friday or quoting the velominati rules.

Kalahari Vegmot, Dec 28 2016 08:25

Who knows. Half his posts don't make sense. The other half are about it being Friday or quoting the velominati rules.

Ha! True indeed

Andy Arnesan, Dec 28 2016 09:11

The fact that it takes 8 months for these clowns to find things, makes me take them far less seriously...

lots of tests too little testers - clown

Kalahari Vegmot, Dec 28 2016 09:49

lots of tests too little testers - clown

Have to agree here, I know one of the testers who do these tests, and it is a very time consuming and specialized work, it takes a lot of time.

Also, recently new methods have been developed to spot drugs, and already a few 'clean' samples have been proved to indeed have drugs in it.

There is also only one testing facility for the whole of Africa, and for all sports, so it's going to take a very long time, but not because the people are clowns

TheJ, Dec 28 2016 10:09

2016TyroneWhite.jpg

V12man, Dec 28 2016 10:29

True - you did- mostly my point is about anti doping being specifically NOT the medics concern at all.

The medics concern must be ONLY the well being of the patient - this clearly has to be ethically applied - and in the case of a team doctor/team medical staff, very carefully too - but in the case of race emergency medical staff - anti doping concerns should be the least of their problems - to be blunt they should ignore anti doping regs completely to provide the best possible medical care to the patient.