Anti-Doping Rule Violation: Tyronne White

Cycling South Africa reports that Tyronne White has been found guilty of an anti-doping rule violation after an in-competition test conducted on 30 April 2016 confirmed the presence of the Glucocorticoid, Dexamethasone.

The SAIDS Independent Doping Hearing Panel imposed a period of ineligibility of 18 months, commencing on 14 December 2016. Mr. White is therefore suspended and prohibited from competing and administering in the sport of Cycling as well as in any other sport in South Africa and Internationally from 14 December 2016 until 13 June 2018. This decision may be appealed by Mr. White, the UCI, WADA and SAIDS.

Cycling South Africa respects the independence of the SAIDS process and will respect the outcome. Cycling SA further reiterates its zero-tolerance approach to doping in sport and will continue working with SAIDS in the promotion of a drug-free sport via its awareness and extensive testing programmes.

278 Comments

Barend de Arend, Jan 04 2017 03:58

It brings in another interesting question, and raised with all the recent TUEs released by the russian hackers: should you be racing if you are that sick that you need medicine?

Not aimed at Ty or anyone specific, just asking questions.

Devil's advocate: If you need medicine, should you just sit on the couch and watch TV?  Wait, you're not allowed the watch TV, because the medication you're on are eye drops.

Where do you draw the line?  When are you allowed to live a life?

jcza, Jan 04 2017 05:21

Devil's advocate: If you need medicine, should you just sit on the couch and watch TV? Wait, you're not allowed the watch TV, because the medication you're on are eye drops.

Where do you draw the line? When are you allowed to live a life?

Read the MPCC guidelines. Membership is voluntary and there's not many WT teams left mainly because it doesn't suit them. Riders are withdrawn from racing when sick or when they fail health checks. Astana was the most recent team to withdraw last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6th Mass Extinction, Jan 04 2017 10:07

The human kind?

As opposed to the Veterinarian kind? Are they cost saving by using the local Vet in the medical tent?

andydude, Jan 05 2017 12:15

Devil's advocate: If you need medicine, should you just sit on the couch and watch TV? Wait, you're not allowed the watch TV, because the medication you're on are eye drops.

Where do you draw the line? When are you allowed to live a life?

If you belong to a professional TV watching sport organisation and their rules forbid any medicine (I guess eye drops for them would be like epo for cyclists!) then yes, you shouldn't.

But your example is not really comparing apples with them apples?!

Barend de Arend, Jan 05 2017 06:31

If you belong to a professional TV watching sport organisation and their rules forbid any medicine (I guess eye drops for them would be like epo for cyclists!) then yes, you shouldn't.

But your example is not really comparing apples with them apples?!

I'm trying to illustrate that

• there are illnesses that need treatment
  • the point of any treatment is to bring you back to normal (not supernormal) -- or as normal as possible.  You should be able to live a normal life.
  • the sport has rules for treating illnesses (TUEs)

Patchelicious, Jan 05 2017 07:30

As opposed to the Veterinarian kind? Are they cost saving by using the local Vet in the medical tent?

Point was that they (the doctors) are humans too, and I am sure are capable of making mistakes too.

carbon29er, Jan 05 2017 08:32

What happened to the pharmacist? Surely an admission of dispensing drugs in such a way that they contaminate each other is an admision of professional negligence that should lead to discipline from the professional registering body?

Well yes- but I don't see the harm created in this instance that justifies a moral intervention- it's all by admission an innocent mistake - unless you suspect someone is lying..

Like Daryls pharmacist?

The anonymous pharmacist who provided a statement, was never cross examined and did not appear in person? Nothing happened to him as he was never named. SAIDS accepted the version of how the drugs got there as they had stuffed the whole testing procedure to the max.

Some would say he never existed. But they are only sceptics who are sick of dopers and their lies.

Patchelicious, Jan 05 2017 08:41

The anonymous pharmacist who provided a statement, was never cross examined and did not appear in person? Nothing happened to him as he was never named. SAIDS accepted the version of how the drugs got there as they had stuffed the whole testing procedure to the max.

Some would say he never existed. But they are only sceptics who are sick of dopers and their lies.

And we simply accept this?

HappyMartin, Jan 05 2017 04:13

And we simply accept this?

Actually there was video evidence date stamped that came from surveillance cameras showing the pharmacist dispensing the medication along with computer records showing what was dispensed and sold at what time. That formed the basis of the contamination claim and that is what was accepted. But anyway

Makes a much more fun story to say that Daryl came up with an excuse and it was simply a accepted.

fandacious, Jan 09 2017 01:39

Fahmy Galant | SAIDS <fahmy@saids.org.za>
1:36 PM (1 minute ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to zayin
cleardot.gif

Dear Mr. Krige

Thank you for your query. For every adverse analytical finding, an athlete is given an opportunity to present his/her side to ensure a process of fairness.

fandacious, Jan 09 2017 01:40

Devil's advocate: If you need medicine, should you just sit on the couch and watch TV?  Wait, you're not allowed the watch TV, because the medication you're on are eye drops.

Where do you draw the line?  When are you allowed to live a life?

its not an arbitrary line. The line is drawn by WADA. Its called the banned substances list. By partaking in the sport, you agree on that line. You dont get to compete in the sport then afterwards complain about the line. If you dont like the line, dont compete in the sport

Patchelicious, Jan 09 2017 01:44

Actually there was video evidence date stamped that came from surveillance cameras showing the pharmacist dispensing the medication along with computer records showing what was dispensed and sold at what time. That formed the basis of the contamination claim and that is what was accepted. But anyway

Makes a much more fun story to say that Daryl came up with an excuse and it was simply a accepted.

Ok then its confirmed that the pharmacist was negligent, and due to his negligence he almost ruined a GT rider's career!!

What happened to him? 

Ps: I live in JHB, so I would to know which pharmacist this is so that I can avoid it, I don't want to be accidently poisoned. 

HairyLegs, Jan 09 2017 01:51

Ok then its confirmed that the pharmacist was negligent, and due to his negligence he almost ruined a GT rider's career!!

What happened to him? 

Ps: I live in JHB, so I would to know which pharmacist this is so that I can avoid it, I don't want to be accidently poisoned. 

If I recall, the pharmacist was in Durban.

Patchelicious, Jan 09 2017 01:57

If I recall, the pharmacist was in Durban.

Ok, I have family there, don't want them accidentally poisoned......

Gen, Jan 09 2017 02:58

Ok, I have family there, don't want them accidentally poisoned......

[emoji23] [emoji23] ja it was during SA champs that all of this happened.. does anyone know if the bicarb capsules actually help prevent cramping - or what did he use it for. ? As I recall it was bicarb that was put into these contaminated capsules...

V12man, Jan 09 2017 03:08

[emoji23] [emoji23] ja it was during SA champs that all of this happened.. does anyone know if the bicarb capsules actually help prevent cramping - or what did he use it for. ? As I recall it was bicarb that was put into these contaminated capsules...

bicarb increases the ability of the muscle to withstand ph changes - https://cyclingtips....d-how-to-do-it/

IV bicarb has been shown to increase short term performance - but I am not sure what effects small quantities via the gut have in  the literature

Gen, Jan 09 2017 03:11

bicarb increases the ability of the muscle to withstand ph changes - https://cyclingtips....d-how-to-do-it/

IV bicarb has been shown to increase short term performance - but I am not sure what effects small quantities via the gut have in the literature

Danke

Barend de Arend, Jan 09 2017 03:17

its not an arbitrary line. The line is drawn by WADA. Its called the banned substances list. By partaking in the sport, you agree on that line. You dont get to compete in the sport then afterwards complain about the line. If you dont like the line, dont compete in the sport

WADA has drawn a second line: the TUE line.  Substances that you're allowed to take, but must ask permission for.  You agree to this line too.

That line says that there are valid reasons to take certain medications.  When your well being requires the drug, and you can justify that, you're allowed to take the drug.

One such reason is diabetes.  If you can prove you have diabetes, you are allowed to take insulin.  If you don't have diabetes, you're not allowed to take insulin.

I don't feel right telling a diabetic: if you want to ride your bike, you must stop with your insulin injections.  I think a diabetic should be allowed to live his life, and it's great that medical science now allows for that.

(there are actually two TUE lines: acute and chronic)

Spinnekop, Jan 09 2017 03:38

But here in lies my gripe.

Why not publish this somewhere where people and fans and supporters etc can SEE it???

After so many years after this is the first "follow up" I have heard/read.

Would be nice.......

And it can eliminate SOME of the chirri chirri behind the back wispers, no?

Spinnekop, Jan 09 2017 03:42

There are quite a lot of interesting literature on Bicarb.......

I have experimented on it....it turns out you ride a HELL OF LOT FASTER because you get serious case of the backdoor trots....... :eek:  :whistling:

RocknRolla, Jan 09 2017 03:53

There are quite a lot of interesting literature on Bicarb.......

I have experimented on it....it turns out you ride a HELL OF LOT FASTER because you get serious case of the backdoor trots....... :eek:  :whistling:

And here I thought it was because of the secret ingredient:

Bicarbonate of Soda

Thor Buttox, Jan 09 2017 04:03

WADA has drawn a second line: the TUE line. Substances that you're allowed to take, but must ask permission for. You agree to this line too.

That line says that there are valid reasons to take certain medications. When your well being requires the drug, and you can justify that, you're allowed to take the drug.

One such reason is diabetes. If you can prove you have diabetes, you are allowed to take insulin. If you don't have diabetes, you're not allowed to take insulin.

I don't feel right telling a diabetic: if you want to ride your bike, you must stop with your insulin injections. I think a diabetic should be allowed to live his life, and it's great that medical science now allows for that.

(there are actually two TUE lines: acute and chronic)

Wiggo got a cute TUE for 'chronic' condition?

Gen, Jan 09 2017 04:03

Wiggo got a TUE cause he wanted one[emoji6]

Hacc, Mar 02 2017 01:13

Out of interest sake, any feedback on this story?

Frosty, Mar 02 2017 01:22

:clap:

I like the way you worded it, intentionally or not.