Events

Dirtopia 2017 Enduro season kicks off near Stellenbosch in April

· By Press Office · 14 comments

With six events scheduled until November, mountain bikers that enjoy the Enduro concept have a lot to look forward to! Dirtopia’s Enduro events makes room for new comers to the discipline with fun trails to ride at all the events.

ccs-58780-0-89655300-1489052730.jpg

On 2 April the first round will be held from Uitkyk Wine Estate on Simonsberg trails. This mountain offers a lot of options and route designer Meurant Botha will give participants four stages for the day.

The Enduro events are geared for mountain bikers that enjoy singletrack and are fit enough to ride uphills, but more importantly like riding downhills fast. Therefore more adrenalin junkies like downhillers enjoy this discipline of the sport, but the lady participation is growing and young riders are enjoying it too.

ccs-58780-0-34469100-1489052732.jpg

Riders are only timed on certain stages, which are mostly downhill singletrack. The routes are not that technical, but when done at high speeds, do get tricky. There are normally on average four special stages in a day of the event (sometimes five), and riders go to the start of the next stage in ‘neutral’ or ‘liaison’ sections. This creates a social atmosphere and gatherings at the refreshment station, as no-one is in a hurry.

Pre-entries only are taken, so visit http://www.dirtopia.co.za to enter online. The total distances do not matter, as the anaerobic exercise you get is enough to tire the fittest of riders. Timing is done with Amarider Trail Tags and times are live on raceday.

ccs-58780-0-83473000-1489052733.jpg

Although there are prizes for the top males & females and medals for all, the event is about pure mountain bike riding. Product sponsors include Sram, Leatt, Giant bicycles and Flake socks. Dirtopia has organised about 12 Enduro events since 2012. Fees start at R350 per rider that includes the permit, refreshment stations with fruit, Powerade, jellies etc and marked stages. Other venues include Welvanpas, Helderberg trails, Delvera and Delheim. Upcoming dates: 14 May, 10 June, 13 August, 3 September, 12 November.

Call the Trail Centre at 0218844752 for any queries or mail admin @dirtopia.co.za

Comments

T-Bob

Mar 9, 2017, 10:37 AM

So it's R375 entry plus R100 for the tag and 4 stages for the first one?

stefmeister

Mar 9, 2017, 10:44 AM

That 2nd photo summarizes these events for me; standing/waiting an hour in a queue to spend 10 min racing. 

Wish we rather had the equivalent of Megavalanche.

Lefty V

Mar 9, 2017, 10:58 AM

The vibe, format and riding is great. Looking fwd to it.

Robbow

Mar 9, 2017, 11:19 AM

That 2nd photo summarizes these events for me; standing/waiting an hour in a queue to spend 10 min racing. 

In KZN they normally split the first 2 or 3 stages and you can do them in any order, but everyone finishes on the 4th. Works really well and the queues are never very long, also adds a bit of strategy into order selection.

As for the Mega, enter it....mates and I have entered and are going in July...serious boys road trip

Mongooser

Mar 9, 2017, 11:26 AM

how many ks per stage?

chicksdigdirt

Mar 9, 2017, 2:52 PM

So it's R375 entry plus R100 for the tag and 4 stages for the first one?

That is a permanent tag that you can use at all the events though...

Phatman

Mar 9, 2017, 4:39 PM

how many ks per stage?

Will probably take at most 10 minutes riding time to complete all the stages. Did the last one last year and I'd estimate 1-2km per stage.

chicksdigdirt

Mar 10, 2017, 9:47 AM

Will probably take at most 10 minutes riding time to complete all the stages. Did the last one last year and I'd estimate 1-2km per stage.

That is without the liaison stages that you have to ride of course...

Phatman

Mar 10, 2017, 9:51 AM

Yes true, I should have said "timed sections".

Mongooser

Mar 13, 2017, 8:13 AM

so i wont die using a 180mm bike with a low range gear ratio?

Karman de Lange

Mar 13, 2017, 8:17 AM

Or walk

NicoBoshoff

Mar 22, 2017, 9:48 AM

Yeah but dude, you can't ride these trails otherwi...oh, wait.

NicoBoshoff

Mar 22, 2017, 9:49 AM

The vibe, format and riding is great. Looking fwd to it.

It's spelt "vaaib".

Meg85

May 17, 2017, 1:23 PM

haha, well I guess everyone has their preference. I am new to enduro and I find whole concept amazing, Dirtopia have put on a great event and I love every second of it, even the 780m + climbing over 20km. I love the rush, the go as fast as you can without falling and that near fall, make it heart pounding. The social aspect is also very cool and everyone has been really friendly and helpful.

Someone always has to poop on a great event.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment