Events

Dontso’s life changing J-Bay MTB win

· By Press Office · 3 comments

The journey for Martin Dreyer’s RMB Change a Life MTB star Ndumiso Dontso to his first individual win as a professional rider took him from the humble Eastern Cape farming town of Molteno, via the Valley of a Thousand Hills and back to the sea-side metropolis of Jeffery’s Bay where he won the J-Bay Windfarm MTB Classic this past weekend.

Maza’s (as Dontso is affectionately known) story is unlike many others in the Change a Life Academy as he was drawn to KwaZulu-Natal after a friend of Academy founder Martin Dreyer saw talent in the youngster when he was part of a very basic youth development programme in Molteno.

ccs-2-0-32779700-1469024060.jpgMartin Dreyer’s RMB Change a Life MTB Academy star Ndumiso Dontso returned to his home province of the Eastern Cape and claimed his first individual win as a professional mountain biker when he won the J-Bay Wind Farm MTB Classic over this past weekend.
Photo: Anthony Grote/Gameplan Media

“A mate of mine from Varsity, Hannes Aucamp, is a farmer in Molteno. Three years ago he phoned me up asking if there was perhaps a place for Maza in my MTB Academy. Saying, this youngster has heaps of talent. I agreed,” founder of the Change a Life MTB Academy Martin Dreyer mentioned.

“Hannes put him on a bus and I met him in Pietermaritzburg with his bike! We took it to the bike shop but they said that it would cost more to fix it than it was worth, it was properly worked over. Ever since it has been hanging in my garage. Instead he received a team bike, a carbon GT hardtail and the rest is history!”

The rise of Dontso has been an inspiring one as the 24 year old tries to carve out his mark on South Africa’s competitive mountain biking circuit while at the same time having family in the Eastern Cape to support, resulting in the athlete developing a sound work ethic.

“It is a fairy tale story to be honest. Maza needed R10 000 to put down a deposit on a house for his family and we were scratching around trying to make a plan and then he went and won in Jeffery’s Bay – the winners cheque was R10 000!

“He is an incredibly hard worker and although he might not have quite the right build for a cyclist, as he is heavy-set and muscular, he really does put in a huge amount of effort,” said Dreyer.

“Along with his commitment he is a very likeable guy and recently got his PDP so he drives the team bus to events and is a great example of the holistic approach that we want the guys to take at the academy,” Dreyer added proudly.

ccs-2-0-38281900-1469024061.jpg

With a third place finish at the 2016 BSi Steel dusi2c last month with fellow RMB Change a Life rider Sipho Kupiso, Dontso headed to the Eastern Cape for one of his two visits home a year. A month in July and six weeks over the December period.

“When I told Maza there was a MTB race in Jeffrey’s Bay, he was overly excited. He organised to use a friend’s car, we discussed a budget for his road trip and off he went. The race organiser, Arthur Joubert, provided free entry and accommodated Maza in his own home.

“It’s great that he was able to showcase his talents in his home province and to get a win there is incredible. This victory will no doubt make him realise that he is moving in the right direction, and that hard work pays off.

“This result has already changed his life!” an ecstatic Dreyer added.

Dontso finished the 85km race with an overwhelming eleven minute winning margin over second place local favourite, Jason Meaton.

“During the race I got a phone call from Arthur, he told me that Maza was winning the race!

“This made me nervous as he hasn’t been at the front of a race before and I was worried that he might miss a turn marker and get lost but Arthur reassured me that he was following close to the lead bike and he was fine.

“I’m just really happy for him, it was a great result,” beamed Dreyer.

Comments

nonky

Jul 20, 2016, 3:03 PM

Congratulations - well done!

Nkiliva

Jul 20, 2016, 5:21 PM

Am at awe as i read word after word Martin comments. I cannot have words to describe the Contribution Martin has done and still doing, not just in Sports generally, but to Black communities at large - seeing Light when we, as a Black person at times, see darkness. Keep working hard gents it does pay off.

Javas X

Jul 21, 2016, 5:39 AM

Congratulations

Add a comment

You must log in to comment