Events

Entries open for Dr Evil Classic 2015

· By Press Office · 3 comments

Entries are open for the fourth installment of Leon ‘Dr Evil’ Evans’ own three-day stage race in the Garden Route. The 2014 event was a classic mix of forest single track, scenic district roads and logging routes. And, in complete contrast to his infamous nickname and the race for which he earned it, the Pennypinchers Dr Evil Classic was a fun ride rather than a racing-oriented event.

“It was not overly technical and was a hit in this respect,” Evans commented of the sold out event. “It was also limited in numbers, which created a great atmosphere.”

ccs-2-0-25301100-1415173822.jpg

The 2014 event took place from 18-20 September and offered solo and team categories. Every day’s racing was done on an out-and-back route a cloverleaf from the race village in Wittedrift (just outside Plettenberg Bay), which, believes solo winner Kevin Evans, is a big part of the race’s allure. “Riders can base themselves in Plett if they want. Although, with sponsors like Saronsberg Wines and Mitchells Brewery, the race village is the place to be,” Kevin said.

While the vibes in the race village were relaxed and friendly; and the routes not necessarily aimed at racing snakes, the sharp-end still saw some hot action.

“I would love to say I was able to take it easy for the three days, but reality was that the young guns wouldn’t take it lightly,” said Kevin. “Nor the older ones for matter of fact, and I had to lay down the law on day one and piece myself back together from there.”

Day one was 70 kilometres, (with 1320m ascent), with the track through the indigenous forest at Petrus se Brand as highlight. Day two was the longest of the event, with 80 kilometres of mountain and sea views through the Krantzbosch and Buffels Nek Forest reserves with some climbing in the Paardekop area, for good measure. “The whole stage was a highlight,” claims Evans. “The views were all spectacular – too many to name them all!”

Day three was 50 kilometres only, to allow for an early finish for those travelling to Uniondale for the Pennypinchers Lions Karoo to Coast. “Those who didn’t come with their climbing legs suffered a bit,” Kevin said. “You start off at an altitude of 0m above sea level. You can guess where my father takes you from there…”

“The scenery however compensated and just when you felt like you’d had enough, there were the magical forest singletracks of Knysna and Harkerville,” he said.

The 2015 event promises to be no different, and, while there will be tweaks and improvements the route will not differ dramatically from this year’s event, which translates to ‘something for everybody’ – a combination of singletrack, scenic district roads and forest trails. “Nowhere in the country can you ride indigenous forests as you can here,” Evans concluded.

Entries: Open 31 October (zandile@drevilclassic.com)

Dates: 17th, 18th and 19th September 2015

Numbers: The event will be limited to 350 riders

Discount: Riders who enter the Pennypinchers Lions Karoo to Coast (that will take place on the 20th September) and wish to ride the Dr Evil Classic will once again receive a R200 discount on their (manual) Dr Evil entry. In order to arrange this please contact directly if you would like a manual entry form.

Full results of the 2014 event are available at www.drevilclassic.com

Comments

Patchelicious

Nov 5, 2014, 7:53 AM

Very nice race, been doing it since it started and will definitely recommend it to anybody who wants to do their first stage race.

lesego.2

Nov 18, 2014, 6:16 PM

This is a must do!

Wannabe

Nov 29, 2014, 2:43 PM

Very nice race, been doing it since it started and will definitely recommend it to anybody who wants to do their first stage race.

This is a must do!

Very much agree.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment