Events

Hollard Jozi Urban MTB Adventure: Transforming The Braamfontein Spruit through adventure sport

· By Press Office · 20 comments

Create positive partnerships that keep the Braamfontein Spruit alive for years to come? CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

ccs-62657-0-51186500-1460632688.jpg

The Hollard JUMA, taking place on the 29th May 2016 at Marks Park, is a mountain bike race that turns the worlds’ biggest urban forest into the ultimate mountain biker’s playground with a course build worth over R1.5 million.

The Hollard JUMA chatted to Louise Gordon, General Manager New Business Development for Johannesburg City Parks and Zoo about the partnership, transformation and future of the Braamfontein Spruit.

On the Partnership…

Johannesburg City Parks and Zoo (JCPZ) is absolutely thrilled to be a partner in the Hollard JUMA and Hollard JURA events.

Trail running and Mountain biking has most definitely grown in popularity and one can see this in the increasing number of people using our parks to freely exercise without having to pay gym fees.

The event is a great testimony and encouragement to living a healthy and active lifestyle in one of the busiest metropolitans in Africa. Sporting events accessible to families and people of all ages adds a new dimension to our parks. It Is part of our mandate to increase usage of our parks and the City of Johannesburg places high priority on promoting healthy lifestyles that are cost effective for all communities.

The Hollard JUMA and Hollard JURA really show the potential of a great adventure and new form of exercise right at your doorstep.

ccs-62657-0-96313500-1460632688.jpg

On the Positive Impact…

The Hollard JUMA and Hollard JURA has left legacy builds such as new bridges and underpass crossings to ensure the safety of all users. The race has taken into consideration the busy roads around the parks and, where possible, has implemented structures to enable users to avoid potentially getting knocked over by cars. This improves the use of the areas for motorists and the various users.

The Braamfontein Spruit has areas that are not as active; the increased number of Spruit users, as a result of the event, has increased visibility in these areas and we’ve seen a decrease in overall crime.

These events also contribute to the creation of a variety jobs and JCPZ will always support such initiatives.

On the Future…

JCPZ has realised that their management with regards to the needs of the different Braamfontein Spruit users are not up to standard.

There is no management of erosion or decay and no signage regarding rules in place to avoid conflict amongst the different users. With this in mind we have decided to appoint a consulting firm to draught a management plan taking into consideration all users of the Spruit.

We hope to appoint the firm by end of April. The intention is to avoid conflict between walkers, runners and cyclist and to ensure the sustainability of the Spruit. This management plan will also ensure that events are part and parcel of the use of the Spruit to enhance and encourage more users in a sustainable way.

Our partnership with BAM and the Hollard JUMA and Hollard JURA events has highlighted the continued need for upgrading the area to ensure that events are successful and that daily users get the most out of their experience in the safest possible way.

This partnership will also enable JCPZ to implement the plan once approved – an exciting future for all users is on its way!

ccs-62657-0-45625900-1460632689.jpg

From the Organisers…

Russell Willis, Event Organiser, comments: “Without the JCPZ involvement and commitment, these events would not be possible. From making the parks available and accessible, to the assistance in the pre and post race clean ups to the manpower they supply and much more.

They are also active participants and always have a large team of runners and riders taking part in both events. We’re proud to be in partnership with Johannesburg City Parks and Zoo and we look forward to continuing to work together to create a Braamfontein Spruit that can be enjoyed by everyone.”

Play your part in keeping the Spruit alive. Enter the Hollard JUMA today. The Hollard JUMA takes place on the 29th May 2016. Entry fees are R399 for the 54km and R299 for the 22km. For more information on the Hollard JUMA follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/urbanMTB or on Twitter @JUMAMTB

Supporters and those who don’t live life on two wheels also have the opportunity to join in on the fun at Marks Park! Fun for the whole family including: a mini MTB route for kiddies, an SAB beer garden and “Gig Rig”, Joburg’s top food stalls, an ABI family area, and much more. Follow all the latest news and announcements via social media by following us on www.facebook.com/urbanmtb or on Twitter @JUMAMTB

Comments

PygaSchmyga

Apr 14, 2016, 11:43 AM

if you want to create positive impact and change, then think about dismantling that purple monstrosity that runs under Tana (?) road.  The concrete rerouting of the water flow and the bottom of the "bridge" is a disgusting mess, and way more dangerous than putting a foot down and crossing a road

Spez247

Apr 14, 2016, 12:02 PM

I'll take the underpass every time, as opposed to crossing the road.

I agree it could have been better implemented, but without diverting the water, it makes it very difficult to do it right the first time.

Look forward to riding The Juma.

jcza

Apr 14, 2016, 12:04 PM

if you want to create positive impact and change, then think about dismantling that purple monstrosity that runs under Tana (?) road.  The concrete rerouting of the water flow and the bottom of the "bridge" is a disgusting mess, and way more dangerous than putting a foot down and crossing a road

Fully agree, call the spruit fairy to sort out 

PygaSchmyga

Apr 15, 2016, 5:58 AM

Why doesn't Hollard rather just sponsor the Swampdogs?  They maintain the spruit trail all year on a sustainable basis, not just for a few, marketing headline grabbing weeks a year ahead of the tour de trash? In spite of the cosmetic attempts to "ready" the Juma course, it really is a reminder of what complete pigs joburgers are in the treatment of their greenbelts.  Not sure that this race changes much?  Give the money to guys and gals that SELFLESSLY and without pursuit of profit ACTUALLY give a $#%* for the trail, no?

rouxtjie

Apr 15, 2016, 5:59 AM

Why doesn't Hollard rather just sponsor the Swampdogs?  They maintain the spruit trail all year on a sustainable basis, not just for a few, marketing headline grabbing weeks a year ahead of the tour de trash? In spite of the cosmetic attempts to "ready" the Juma course, it really is a reminder of what complete pigs joburgers are in the treatment of their greenbelts.  Not sure that this race changes much?  Give the money to guys and gals that SELFLESSLY and without pursuit of profit ACTUALLY give a $#%* for the trail, no?

liewe aarde maar jy is n bitter mens...

PygaSchmyga

Apr 15, 2016, 6:09 AM

liewe aarde maar jy is n bitter mens...

Huh? I love the Spruit and actively support the Swampdogs who do an AWESOME job in maintaining a FREE trail for anyone who wants to come and ride?  Maintenance of greenbelts is a constant and selfless effort, which these guys do out of the goodness of their hearts.  When Hollard builds hideous monstrosities that just make a godawful mess to reduce a once-a-year race bottleneck which I have pointed out you start your trolling again? What gives, man?

rouxtjie

Apr 15, 2016, 6:15 AM

Huh? I love the Spruit and actively support the Swampdogs who do an AWESOME job in maintaining a FREE trail for anyone who wants to come and ride?  Maintenance of greenbelts is a constant and selfless effort, which these guys do out of the goodness of their hearts.  When Hollard builds hideous monstrosities that just make a godawful mess to reduce a once-a-year race bottleneck which I have pointed out you start your trolling again? What gives, man?

agree on the dawgs...they are an awesome bunch...however the juma(I havent participated in one yet)  adds some nice features / bridges / crossings when they prepare for their event. Everyone benefits from it all year round. Try not to see the bad in everything my goodness

jcza

Apr 15, 2016, 6:19 AM

Textbook Friday  :clap:

rouxtjie

Apr 15, 2016, 6:22 AM

did you expect anything else oom

PygaSchmyga

Apr 15, 2016, 6:22 AM

don't you start!!! :rolleyes:

jcza

Apr 15, 2016, 6:26 AM

Just a question friend, what are these bottlenecks you speak of? Only queue I saw was at the beer tent. Rouxtjie seeing you've gone full-on spruit rat I fully expect to see you at Juma. 

Roneblack46

Apr 15, 2016, 6:27 AM

Maybe he can't get up the ramp....

PygaSchmyga

Apr 15, 2016, 6:38 AM

Just a question friend, what are these bottlenecks you speak of? Only queue I saw was at the beer tent. Rouxtjie seeing you've gone full-on spruit rat I fully expect to see you at Juma. 

My assumption was that the purple jungle gym was built to avoid a bottleneck road crossing.  If they put 5000 riders up or down that sif ramp, there's going to be a proper cluster#$%* pile up on that thing, for sure.  Anyway, weren't there dozens of bottlenecks in the 1st Juma, which caused them to change the route?

rouxtjie

Apr 15, 2016, 6:40 AM

Nee wat oom....haka / VG is where its at. 

Still love my sunday spruit @ 8 ride with the manne....

V12man

Apr 15, 2016, 10:20 AM

My assumption was that the purple jungle gym was built to avoid a bottleneck road crossing.  If they put 5000 riders up or down that sif ramp, there's going to be a proper cluster#$%* pile up on that thing, for sure.  Anyway, weren't there dozens of bottlenecks in the 1st Juma, which caused them to change the route?

That ramp down into the underpass needs some repair after the floods - but it sure does a LOT for road traffic improvements - although making it easier to ride UP would probably make it more popular for the weekend warriors - as would a couple of lights in the tunnel.

Andrew Steer

Apr 15, 2016, 11:05 AM

That ramp down into the underpass needs some repair after the floods - but it sure does a LOT for road traffic improvements - although making it easier to ride UP would probably make it more popular for the weekend warriors - as would a couple of lights in the tunnel.

Lots of work being done to repair and improve many of the bridges... for long term use, for all Spruit users. The cheek of these JUMA okes... who for the record, also work a lot with the Spruit fairies :)  

VicanZA

Apr 15, 2016, 11:11 AM

dont know about this new profile pic..

Nplus1

Apr 15, 2016, 11:24 AM

Where do the Spruit Fairies and SwampDogs hang out online in case someone wants to pile in and help? There are a few sections between Witkoppen Rd and William Nicol Drive that need attention to make this a more pleasant ride.

nonky

Apr 15, 2016, 11:37 AM

Where do the Spruit Fairies and SwampDogs hang out online in case someone wants to pile in and help? There are a few sections between Witkoppen Rd and William Nicol Drive that need attention to make this a more pleasant ride.

Try the Spruit on @ facebook "jozi spruit friends" 

PygaSchmyga

Apr 15, 2016, 11:46 AM

http://swampdogs.co.za

Add a comment

You must log in to comment