Events

International riders dominate stage two of ISUZU Ride The Rock

· By Matt · 0 comments

The Swiss and Bermudan flags were flying high on Saturday, 08 February 2014 with Konny Looser and Flora Duffy crossing the finish line first in their respective categories after Stage Two of the action packed ISUZU Ride The Rock Mountain Bike (MTB) Race.

rtr_2.jpg

Konny Looser (Switzerland) took top honours in the men’s race on Saturday, 08 February 2014 completing the 60km Stage Two of the action packed ISUZU Ride The Rock Mountain Bike (MTB) Race in a deserving time of 02hours 50minutes 04seconds. Seen here: Looser in action on the day. PHOTO CREDIT ~ Cherie Vale / NEWSPORT MEDIA

Stage Two saw riders having to complete a 60km route that featured a 1000 metre vertical ascent. Known as the Play Stage because of its fun single track, riders got to enjoy technical sections with a few compulsory portage sections for rider safety. None of these sections, however, spanned over more than 10 metres at a time.

“Today was perfect,” said Looser. “I really wanted to go for the overall win, but after Stage One I have to be happy with a Stage win today. I felt good on the climb. On the downhill I managed to build a gap, although they caught me again I was always in front. It is nice to be in this area especially as a cyclist. This is a very nice event, with a great atmosphere. I would like another stage win, but we’ll see”. Looser completed the 60km stage in a lighting fast time of 02hours 50minutes 04seconds. Louis Bresler Knipe came in second, while Andrew Hill finished third.

According to Duffy Stage Two was very different to Stage One. “Today was very technical. I really enjoyed it, but this last single track was super gnarly, who ever thought of that is cruel. I rode with Hanlie Booyens for the first 25 kilometres before slowly pulling away. The Cederberg is gorgeous with tough, rugged terrain. It definitely exposes all your weaknesses,” says Duffy whose winning time for this 60km stage was 03hours36minutes22seconds. Hanlie Booyens came in second, while Vera Adrian finished third.

rtr_1.jpg

Flora Duffy (Bermuda) claimed victory in the women’s race on Saturday, 08 February 2014 completing the 60km Stage Two of the action packed ISUZU Ride The Rock Mountain Bike (MTB) Race in a deserving time of 03hours36minutes22seconds. Seen here: Duffy in action on the day. PHOTO CREDIT ~ Cherie Vale / NEWSPORT MEDIA

Rankings going into Stage Three (Sunday, 09 February 2014):

WOMEN: Stage 1 and 2 combined times

1. Hanlie Booyens 08hours13minutes14seconds
2. Vera Adrian 08hours32minutes03seconds
3. Kim Westbrook 08hours48minutes30seconds
4. Flora Duffy 08hours49minute06seconds
5. Leona Kadir 09hours06minutes20seconds

MEN: Stage 1 and 2 combined times

1. Erik Kleinhans 06hours17minutes10seconds
2. Adriaan Louw 06hours21minutes47seconds
3. Dan Hugo 06hours28minutes10seconds
4. Stuart Marais 06hours28minutes23seconds
5. Doug Brown 06hours43minutes43seconds

Race Village: Sanddrif

Start: 07:00

Distance: 55km / 1200m vertical ascent

Description: This stage is fast and features a combination of district road, jeep track and single track. Riders can look forward to experiencing the longest downhill single track (5km) of the event.

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment