Events

Introducing the Knysna Bull

· By Press Office · 24 comments

Exciting news for mountain bikers in South Africa… “Destination mountain biking” has evolved with the introduction of a reimagined event, the Knysna Bull. The new 3-day stage race is set for the 23rd to the 26th of February 2017 and is billed as the final Absa Cape Epic preparation race, but with a magical Knysna twist.

ccs-62657-0-07009700-1473270775.jpg

The Knysna Bull is the reincarnation of the popular Knysna 200, moved to a more favourable slot in the mountain biking event calendar – when the Garden Route weather is at its best and the mountain biking community is at its most vibrant. The event will feature three stages of roughly 65km, with stage starts outside Knysna and all finishes on Thesen Island. An urban prologue on the 23rd along the streets and lanes of Thesen Island will kick off the racing in style. Although the racing is expected to be fierce throughout, the Knysna Bull is suitable for everyone. While the elite riders and top amateurs use it as a final tune up ahead of the gruelling Absa Cape Epic, riders of all levels will enjoy the Knysna Bull as they will be treated to superb forest riding, a relaxed lagoon side race village and a weekend away in #TrailTownSA, the capital of destination mountain biking.

ccs-62657-0-15450100-1473270767.jpg

Off the bike the luxury of Knysna will take the sting out of the fast paced riding for the leaders and add to the enjoyment of the riders further down the field. Riders are encouraged to book themselves in to one of Knysna’s many top class hotels, bed and breakfasts or self-catering apartments. Being based in Knysna means riders can stay in luxury and sleep in comfort, which will definitely maximise their performance and enjoyment on the trails. The abundance of quality accommodation also enables riders to bring the whole family along, for support and to enjoy a fantastic weekend in Knysna, known as the home of adventure. The 65km stages mean that the days’ racing is set to finish with enough time to enjoy some of Knysna’s other attractions on each of the race days too.

ccs-62657-0-02501600-1473270773.jpg

The final routes for the Knysna Bull will be confirmed closer to the event, but riders can expect to experience the best of the area’s plentiful trails and singletrack as Knysna Tourism ups the ante to prove their tag-line of #TrailTownSA. The event will also form a key part in the region’s bid to attract mountain bikers outside of events. Along with the singletrack sections riders will be treated to spectacular indigenous forest riding, some testing climbs and exhilarating descents as route director, Patric Mosterd showcases his favourite Knysna Forest tracks and trails. In addition to the established trails Mosterd will also be working closely with the Knysna Sports School in the build up to the Knysna Bull to open up new singletracks especially for the event.

With the Knysna Bull taking place three weeks prior to the Absa Cape Epic it’s the perfect final opportunity to test the legs before tapering for the biggest event on the South African mountain biking calendar. The late February dates also mean the forest trails are likely to be at their driest, so they’ll be kinder on the bikes. The absence of rocky trails also make the Knysna Bull a safer pre-Epic race as the flowing trails aren’t as likely to cause accident or injury.

ccs-62657-0-61213100-1473270770.jpg

If you’d like to secure your spot in the inaugural Knysna Bull you’ll be excited to note that the first 20 entrants will receive a special early bird entry price of R4 200 while the standard entry fee of R4 950 will apply thereafter. The entry includes three full days of spectacular riding, an exhilarating urban prologue, dinner on Thursday the 23rd of February and all lunches from Friday the 24th of February to Sunday the 26th. With Cape Storm confirming their continued support of the race previously known as the Knysna RECM200, riders will also receive a jam packed goodie bag with race apparel and gifts from the Knysna Bull sponsors. To find out more or enter online, from the 9th of September 2016 please visit www.knysnabull.bike today.

Tags:

Comments

Edge_Design

Sep 7, 2016, 6:23 PM

Sounds awesome, but R5k for 3 x 1 day races and lunch - ouch! 

I only call it 3 x 1 day races as they have 1 start and finish venue and no "rider camp" so the only element that makes it a stage race is the fact that they're on consecutive days.

Meezo

Sep 7, 2016, 7:49 PM

GR300 was a disappointment by shortening the stages, now this?

Bring back the old GR300

Skubarra

Sep 7, 2016, 7:55 PM

It includes dinner and some clothing as well (for what its worth).

Did it 2 years ago, great routes and nice one to bring the family with. Really enjoyed it.

But yes, not cheap.

Interesting that it falls on the same date as the old Garden Route 300 but officialy replaces the Knysna 200.

MarcL

Sep 7, 2016, 8:04 PM

I did it last year and for me it disappointed. No gees.... Good trials, but certainly not great trials.

There are so many good events now....

spiders

Sep 7, 2016, 8:28 PM

Makes no sense. GR 300 and GR lite on same weekend than this. Is this the same event as GR lite or a new event? 3 events on same weekend?

Skubarra

Sep 8, 2016, 4:37 AM

Makes no sense. GR 300 and GR lite on same weekend than this. Is this the same event as GR lite or a new event? 3 events on same weekend?

Multiple events by the same company at the same venue on the same weekend? Or 1 new event? What do you think?

Wil6

Sep 8, 2016, 5:47 AM

Multiple events by the same company at the same venue on the same weekend? Or 1 new event? What do you think?

Hehe, But I agree with him about the Old Knysna 300. Was my very first stage race and by far the toughest and funnest one I did

Skubarra

Sep 8, 2016, 6:44 AM

Hehe, But I agree with him about the Old Knysna 300. Was my very first stage race and by far the toughest and funnest one I did

Yes a pity, the GR300 was on my to-do-list, sad to see it is no more!

V12man

Sep 8, 2016, 6:58 AM

Sounds awesome, but R5k for 3 x 1 day races and lunch - ouch! 

I only call it 3 x 1 day races as they have 1 start and finish venue and no "rider camp" so the only element that makes it a stage race is the fact that they're on consecutive days.

It's a great ride - one of the best events around ito riding

Meezo

Sep 8, 2016, 7:25 AM

Yes a pity, the GR300 was on my to-do-list, sad to see it is no more!

It's a great ride - one of the best events around ito riding

this, and its one my family normally goes with me and loves seeing me off at the start and waiting for me at the finish, i want to do it, but the shortening it and making it "lite" make me rethink it

FarmerMTB

Jan 28, 2017, 4:35 PM

Who is doing the Knysna Bull ??

Meezo

Feb 13, 2017, 12:47 PM

if anyone looking for a entry, let me know, team mate is unable to go and selling off his entry

FarmerMTB

Feb 26, 2017, 7:02 PM

SO!!!!! What did you think about the BULL?

• The trails were nice ( I love going up hills ) 
  • Shame we did not go closer to the sea on day 3
  • Water-points were not that bad if you love warm water and coke. 38deg. and NO ice!!!!!!
  • To get your car back to Knysna was not cheep!
  • After-race lunch at Tappas was great if you like eating the same food 3 days in a row and are told NO SECOND HELPINGS!!!
  • How long did the poor girl that got hurt had to lay there before med. help arrived?
  • And I know I am childisch but for a back-marker like myself to finish is worthy of a medal at the finish. NO MEDALS??????

So many races to choose from and this one was not cheep!

MildlyWild

Feb 26, 2017, 7:09 PM

• Water-points were not that bad if you love warm water and coke. 38deg. and NO ice!!!!!!
  • After-race lunch at Tappas was great if you like eating the same food 3 days in a row and are told NO SECOND HELPINGS!!!
  • How long did the poor girl that got hurt had to lay there before med. help arrived?
  • And I know I am childisch but for a back-marker like myself to finish is worthy of a medal at the finish. NO MEDALS??????

Sounds more like Knysna Bullsh.t

Skubarra

Feb 27, 2017, 4:48 AM

Eish. Wasn't like this when they were still the Recm 200. Did they loose some sponsors?

GLuvsMtb

Feb 27, 2017, 6:20 AM

I had a look at the website and did not see anywhere that ice were promised at the water points (we are spoilt in other races that offer these little comforts to us), or that Tapas would offer an all-you-can-eat buffet. From what I gather, the fare was appetising and in line with the fare at W2W, Epic or Sani.

As a matter of interest, what is the cost of getting your car back to Knysna? I am paying R950 this weekend to have my car driven from PE to Plett for the PE Plett mtb race (For me R950 is more than reasonable). The time a rider takes to get evacuated from a trail can range greatly depending on 1. When the race orginisers were informed of a medical emergency (I hope you did the right thing and stopped, called the emergency number and made sure that her life was not in immediate danger before going on your merry way). 2. The remoteness of the location of the rider. 3. Whether or not paramedics were engaged in other code orange / red emergencies at the time. Without context this rant adds little value here (you are welcome to elaborate on this to give some context from your perspective).

I usually prefer something I can use (T Shirt, Buff, key ring, etc.) instead of a medal. Did you not get any race merchandise?

Just some advice as well. If you want race organisers to engage with you on things you felt were sub-standard, try a more constructive approach. If you are just venting, your post is just fine.

Gerry Hattrick

Feb 27, 2017, 3:02 PM

Wow. I did the same race and had a vastly different experience:

* riding through incredible terrain with some brilliant sections of singletrack - and there wasn't that much climbing either;

* Hugely impressed by the water tables and the super friendly people manning them. I had ice blocks popped into my bottle by kids at two of the stops;

* As-much-as-you-can-pile-on-a-large-plate buffet at Tapas, with different main course each day;

* Dinner after the prologue too;

* Wine tasting on Saturday night.

As for the rest - Rotary ran the car service and the proceeds go to their causes so I didn't begrudge the R620 I spent on getting my car back to Knysna over the three days. I don't have any insights into the time taken to treat the injured woman, but asking the question without knowing the answer is not playing fair. 

Obviously it was the new owners' first time organising the event and some things could be slicker, but I though it was an amazing experience.My first comment after finishing was: "I'll definitely be back next year."

cadenceblur

Feb 27, 2017, 4:01 PM

Not related to this event but in my experience Dry Land put on some of the best events. I was highly impressed with the Tankwa Trek and Stormsriver Traverse. From water points, hospitality and catering. Top class.

Simon Van Nimwegen

Feb 28, 2017, 7:07 AM

I thought it was a fantastic race! Food was great, water tables amply supplied. I had ice in my water. Maybe it had melted by the time FarmerMTB got there? I'm happy to pay that price for a stage event in Knysna. It's definitely on my list. Not all races can have an abundance of single track. I appreciated the difference. The scenery along the jeep track was permanently awesome. I agree that any concerns about the event should be raised with the organisers

MTBeer

Feb 28, 2017, 7:32 AM

No Ice?

it's a MTB race not a kindergarten picnic. HTFU.

#justsaying

JeremyCPT

Feb 28, 2017, 7:55 AM

I did the event and had a great time.

Its not cheap, but that seems to be common across lots of the mtb events.

Water tables were good, I couldnt fault them.

I love that route. If it wasnt challenging enough then just ride it faster. I found it to be a good combination of climbs, single track, pine forest, indigenous forest, open views etc.

The route was well marked.

The accident was apparently well handled. The ambulance got there quickly even though the accident was at a tricky spot. She was stabilised and transported out. Unfortunately it looked like it was a particularly nasty accident. I hope she recovers quickly.

The goodie bag was acceptable with a nice Cape Storm top, coffee vouchers and few other little bits.

Lunch was fine without being exceptional but what else do you really want?

The free Mitchels beer after was great. I found the waiters to be generous and there were lots more than the allowed one available.

Car transfer is fairly steep at R600 for 3 days but I look at that as a charitable donation. There was a free shuttle if you wanted it.

Interesting how different people experience the same event.

SpokeTooSoon

Feb 28, 2017, 8:36 AM

Seems a harsh assessment of a pleasant event. The water tables were perfectly adequate (ice is not a requirement - but a nice-to-have) and staffed by cheerful and friendly people. The food post-race was ample; as was the cold beer. The event garment was excellent. The three days were all different and interesting to ride; and R620 for three days of car drop-off is not unreasonable. All riders were pleasant and seemed to be enjoying the laidback nature of the race. Personally, medals are a waste, but if you like them, then so be it. I'd rather have the lekker sweater. All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable three days.

SammyJ

Mar 1, 2017, 4:16 PM

You should give the organisers this feedback. I met Rob and Richard at the event and they are great guys. No doubt they would appreciate your honest feedback.

My experience was definitely better than yours. I was in the upper half of the field each day and there was plenty ice and energy drinks at all the feeding tables. I also had free beers with my lunch each day which was a nice touch.

Wrt the cost, I suspect they may reduce the cost as and when the numbers increase. A field of only 170 riders is too small to make any $$$ (I have been involved in many events … they are not cheap to run).

At the end of the day, it’s all about the riding route. The GR300 is great, but it is a much tougher ride. The Knysna Bull (old GR200) appeals to a far greater audience imho, and is undoubtedly some of the best riding South Africa has on offer. 

FarmerMTB

Mar 1, 2017, 6:20 PM

To be honest about my experience is not to try and take the BULL down ,but like Pat Mosterd said: Up our game.

The trails were amazing and the climbs were nice- That's  why I will be back next year! It would have been nice though if day 3 was closer to the sea like DR.EVIL but it was also nice in the woods. NO Complains about the TRAILS!!!!

The back-makers pay the same as the SNAKES. By the time I got to the water-points( Last guys to finish) There truly were no ice and the water and coke was almost warm. I understands the snakes got there much sooner, but I am no snake, more like a hippo. Day one was hot!, it wasn't that big a issue on the other two days, but us hippos get to cool down on DRYYLAND events even if we are hours behind the snakes.

The free beer at Tappas was great and a good motivation to go hard when you hit the tar! It was a great after-race recovery drink. The burger and salad was also great for day ONE!! But for day 2 and 3 same burgers( Diff patty though) and same salads (That started to look like I felt) was not up to expectations.

I personally do not like to fill my plate to the rim on the first helping, so I do not waste the food I do not like. I'd rather take a smaller portion at first and only get the food I will eat on a second helping. No food wasted! 

The KNYSNA BULL sweater are very nice and I will wear it with pride!

No medal after day 3 was a bit harsh for a Hippo! I suffer more than the guy who won so for me no medal is a big thing!

Out of respect for the girl who fell, lets just ask why was there still no med-help by the time the back-markers past? (We did stop and offered help.) Day 1 and 2 I did see the med-help ambulances on the route, where were they on day 3?

Next year I will take the shuttle back to the cars at the start venue, it is a nice service they have, but I still say to have your car delivered to the finish are to expensive for 25km. The expenses for the weekend ads up to a dodgy amount for the normal guy.

The KNYSNA SPORT SCHOOL involvement in the running of the race are awesome!!!

So, great trails, friendly staff and some things to work on, but up your game Pat and the riders will come in numbers, even if they are hippos.

See you next year.

ps. The MC was great.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment