Events

Is riding 100 miles off road on your bucket list?

· By Press Office · 13 comments

If so, the ninth edition of The Amarider 100Miler, presented by Bike Hub is the perfect race to get it done. Held in Malmesbury on 20 May, this race is the ultimate Swartland meander offering dirt road riding around the Kasteelberg and surrounds.

ccs-62657-0-31925100-1488117434.jpg

What makes this the perfect 100 Mile intro?

1. It’s accessible. With the start and finish in Malmesbury you don’t have to bother with transport and you can drive to the start in the morning.
  2. Price. Shop around, this race offers great value and your entry fee includes on-route breakfast and lunch points.
  3. Support. Apart from a large race support contingent, your supporters can assist you at 4 easy to reach Spectator points on the day. This makes it perfect for your family and friends to be part of the day and allows you to break your effort into achievable segments.
  4. Route. The route consists predominantly of flowing and fast-rolling dirt road. With 2400m of climbing over the day, it certainly is not flat but very few riders struggle to make cut-off.
  5. The cause. Proceeds of the race go towards Amarider’s advocacy efforts and over the past years have made projects like the recent opening of new trails on Table Mountain possible.

For catering purposes and general planning, only pre-entries will be accepted for this event and entries are limited. Riders can ride as solo competitors or form 4-person (non-relay) teams and enjoy a day out with mates in the saddle. The team results will be based on the 4th rider crossing the line thereby encouraging teamwork and camaraderie. Open and Mixed team trophies are awarded.

A shorter 50 mile (80km) race option, starts at the halfway mark at Riebeeck Kasteel and ends with the 100Miler riders at the Malmesbury Showgrounds. This event provides an opportunity for riders keen to get a taste of endurance riding and experience the 2nd half of the 100-mile route option.

DATE: Saturday, 20 May 2017
TIME: 07h30 (100Miler) & 09h00 (50Miler)
DISTANCE: 160km or 80km
VENUE: Malmesbury
COST:
100Miler: R 580
50Miler: R 350
*Amarider members get R50 discount on entry fee.

ENTER HERE. No late entries will be accepted.

100 MILER INFO:

Four spectator points – go and support the riders!
Total route elevation is 2200m

ccs-62657-0-81735800-1488117444.jpg

50 MILER INFO:

For the not so brave there are a 50 Miler (80km) which starts at Riebeeck Kasteel (Delico Butchery) and finishes in Malmesbury (please note entries are limited and only pre-entries are taken).

There will be a shuttle from the finish to the start at Delico at 07h30 and there will be NO shuttle available in the afternoon.
You have to book & pay R150 for the shuttles and they were fully booked last year. So please try and arrange lifts with your friends or family. It is a 25km drive from the finish to the start.

Timing:

You will need an Amarider Trail Tag to be timed for this event, you will tag in and out at various check points along the route.

The Trail Tags are available for purchase at R100 or for rent at R50. You’ll use the Tag at most Dirtopia and Amarider events, so you might as well purchase one. If you don’t have a Trail Tag you MUST purchase a temporary Trail Tag at R50 OR a permanent Trail Tag at R100 upon entering.

ccs-62657-0-97597000-1488117487.jpg

Amarider is a recreational trails advocacy group focused on improving trail opportunities on the African continent and proceeds of the event are channelled directly to trail projects. Amarider is focused on improving trail construction standards around the country and assist various mountain bike clubs to ensure that their trails are safe and environmentally sustainable.

Finishing the Amarider 100 Miler within the allotted 10hours 30minutes cut-off time is one of the most challenging endurance tests!

Make sure you LIKE the Amarider 100 Miler page on Facebook to stay updated with all information.

For further information email info@amarider.co.za or info@dirtopia.co.za or contact 021 884 4547 or 021 884 4752 otherwise see the website: www.amarider.co.za or www.dirtopia.co.za

Comments

Suidwes Boytjie

Feb 27, 2017, 6:43 AM

What the total elevation for the 50miler?

Stevo9119

Feb 27, 2017, 6:45 AM

Trans Drak this weekend, will be my first over 200km.

openmind

Feb 27, 2017, 6:56 AM

The 100 Miler is a great race, but it's hardly "off-road"! Just look at the pics - lovely groomed gravel *roads* :)

The only real technical challenge is picking the right line through the corrugations, hehe!

dee_biker

Feb 27, 2017, 8:23 AM

One of my favourite rides, but at R580, it is becoming rediculous!

Mongoose!

Feb 27, 2017, 8:52 AM

The 100 Miler is a great race, but it's hardly "off-road"! Just look at the pics - lovely groomed gravel *roads* :)

The only real technical challenge is picking the right line through the corrugations, hehe!

then it is my type of race!!!

Mamil

Feb 28, 2017, 7:00 AM

This is very tempting. 

David Sutcliffe

Feb 28, 2017, 7:06 AM

This is very tempting. 

Like day 1 of the Stanford Tour, except 3 times longer

Skubarra

Feb 28, 2017, 7:28 AM

One of my favourite rides, but at R580, it is becoming rediculous!

I don't know, done it twice, for some reason I find this race very bland despite labeling myself a dirtroadie.

Maybe doing this for the first time a week after an awesome Sani2C experience spoiled this race for me permanently.

Maybe this race lacks that signature feature other dirtroadie races have, like a Baviaanskloof or a Swartberg pass, it's mostly nondescript rolling hills through farmlands on corrugated roads.

Anyway, I guess you have to do it at least once to find out for yourself, this one already ticked off the list for me. 

nonky

Feb 28, 2017, 7:53 AM

Pro tip: take myprodol along 'cos your butt is going to HURT.

dave303e

Feb 28, 2017, 7:57 AM

Pro tip: take myprodol along 'cos your butt is going to HURT.

or a teaspoon of cement, 100 Miles is a trail running distance...

Mamil

Feb 28, 2017, 8:13 AM

Hmmm .... don't like corrugated roads much - 

Maybe this race lacks that signature feature other dirtroadie races have, like a Baviaanskloof or a Swartberg pass, it's mostly nondescript rolling hills through farmlands on corrugated roads.

Skubarra

Feb 28, 2017, 8:19 AM

Hmmm .... don't like corrugated roads much - 

Hehe, this race is an exercise of keeping your eyes on the road for hours on-end trying to find the least corrugated line..

nonky

Feb 28, 2017, 8:55 AM

or a teaspoon of cement, 100 Miles is a trail running distance...

http://www.relatably.com/m/img/yeah-right-memes/46443679.jpg

Add a comment

You must log in to comment