Events

Kleinhans, De Groot defeat the Monster on first attempt

· By Press Office · 4 comments

Close to 2 000 adventure seekers toed the line at the ATKV Buffelspoort on Saturday, 23 May 2015 to test their mountain biking prowess at the much revered FNB Magalies Monster MTB Classic presented by ISUZU.

Erik Kleinhans left nothing to chance conquering the 75km FNB Magalies Monster in a lightning fast time of 03 hours 27 minutes 45 seconds. Robyn De Groot set the route ablaze in the women’s 75km race claiming victory in an impressive time of 04 hours 04 minutes 02 seconds.

ccs-62657-0-40225200-1432398256.jpg

Erik Kleinhans claimed victory in the 75km FNB Magalies Monster MTB Classic presented by ISUZU at the ATKV Buffelspoort on Saturday, 23 May 2015. Kleinhans crossed the finish line in an impressive time of 03 hours 27 minutes 45 seconds. Seen here: Erik Kleinhans in action on the day. // PHOTO CREDIT: Volume Photography.

“The race started a lot faster than I would have liked,” said Kleinhans. “Nico Pfitzenmaier and I broke away just before the first climb. I then broke away from Nico before the Monster climb. I had a 2 to 3 minute gap, and just built on it. I heard that the 75km route was tough, but it wasn’t as tough as I had expected. It features technical riding, with rocky sections and amazing scenery. There are also a lot of turns and corners that make the route really exciting and enjoyable. The best part of the FNB Magalies Monster MTB Classic is definitely the organisation. You feel welcome the minute that you arrive at the venue. There is a really nice vibe and atmosphere. It’s fantastic to be here. I’d definitely recommend the 75km Monster to any rider that’s looking for a challenge, but if you’re looking just to have fun then the 45km or 20km route is perfect for you”. Guylin van den Berg came in second, while Nico Pfitzenmaier finished third.

According to De Groot there was definitely some good competition on the start line. “I never really look at the competition on the start line, but I did see Theresa Ralph. It’s fantastic to see the ladies come out to this event. With this being my first race after my illness, I focussed on riding consistently. The 75km Monster was tough, so I am pretty chuffed with the win. I will definitely recommend this event to other mountain bikers. The hospitality is awesome. I suggest that you make a weekend of it”. Theresa Ralph came in second, while Janine Rawlinson finished third.

ccs-62657-0-69433400-1432398257.jpg

Robyn De Groot set the route ablaze in the women’s 75km FNB Magalies Monster MTB Classic presented by ISUZU at the ATKV Buffelspoort on Saturday, 23 May 2015. De Groot crossed the finish line in an impressive 04 hours 04 minutes 02 seconds. Seen here: Robyn De Groot in action on the day. // PHOTO CREDIT: Volume Photography.

Jan-Louis De Sousa claimed gold in the men’s 45km FNB Magalies Monster MTB Classic presented by ISUZU in an awe-inspiring time of 01 hour 59 minutes 05 seconds. Henru du Toit came in second, while Marco Steyn finished third.

Marisa van der Linde was the rider to beat in the women’s 45km FNB Magalies Monster MTB Classic presented by ISUZU completing the route in a well-deserved time of 02 hours 18 minutes 49 seconds. Carolyn Thompson came in second, while Helen Gibbings finished third.

Christof Lourens crossed the finish line first in the men’s 20km FNB Magalies Monster MTB Classic presented by ISUZU in a deserving time of 53 minutes 02 seconds. Brandon Van Staaden came in second, while Shawn Whitehead finished third.

Melandie Engelbrecht secured the top spot on the podium in the women’s 20km FNB Magalies Monster MTB Classic presented by ISUZU in a spectacular time of 56 minutes 55 seconds. Debbie Garvey came in second, while Chloe Nangle finished third.

“We continue to see overwhelming interest from mountain bikers who want to be part of this event and this attests to the growing popularity of mountain biking in South Africa. The enthusiasm and intense competition shown by all the participating athletes makes this race one of the toughest mountain biking events in the region. We congratulate all the participants and the winners of the various stages,” says Michael Vacy-Lyle, FNB Business CEO.

Each FNB Magalies Monster MTB entrant received a fantastic event t-shirt compliments of DHL Express, while all entrants stood a chance to win either a magnificent Specialized Era Comp Carbon mountain bike for women or a Specialized Camber Comp Carbon for men.

Follow us on Twitter: @magmonstermtb

Like our Facebook Page: Stillwater MTB Events

For more information contact Stillwater Sports on 082 991 0045, email entries@stillwatersports.com or visit www.stillwatersports.com.

Related posts

Comments

Odinson

May 23, 2015, 6:28 PM

Moer, that's a fast time by Kleinhans!

Robyn de Groot's time is bloody impressive too. 

Cas_1

May 23, 2015, 6:34 PM

Moer, that's a fast time by Kleinhans!

Robyn de Groot's time is bloody impressive too.

Yes amazing time. Helps however being professional rider and having ridden the route a day before as his Twitter pix show!

arendoog

May 24, 2015, 6:36 AM

The first climb has been tamed a lot .Used to be rutted singletract or jeep tract .The descent after was a walking trail .The satelite climb was also left out this year .?

Francois Pienaar

May 25, 2015, 8:58 AM

Although the first climb was "tamed" it was still a proper climb.  Satellite was left out probably because of the dangerous descent on the other side.  Race still had 1850m climbing in it.  Proper proper day out.  Tons of soft sand and just no free kilometers.  I did a 5:12m this year, HAVE TO get sub 5 next yr.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment