Events

Memorable experience guaranteed at Pennypinchers Origin Of Trails

· By Press Office · 53 comments

Fondly referred to as a mountain biker’s dream, the second annual Pennypinchers Origin Of Trails 2-Day Mountain Bike (MTB) Stage Race returns to Stellenbosch this coming weekend (Friday, 28 and Saturday, 29 November 2014).

ccs-62657-0-62795300-1416815678.jpg

Riders in action in the Banhoek Valley, a section of the Pennypinchers Origin Of Trails 2-Day Mountain Bike (MTB) Stage Race route. // Photo Credit: Cherie Vale / Newsport Media.

Combining a vast network of world class trails with beauty and exclusivity, riders will be granted the unique opportunity to experience a spectacular combination of single-track that have been previously unknown to the MTB community. The goal behind the Pennypinchers Origin Of Trails is to offer participants an unbelievable cycling experience, while raising funds to further trail building in Stellenbosch.

According to Corrie Muller, Route Designer, riders can expect lots of exciting trails. “There are technical and fun sections that will suddenly appear from nowhere. Trust the trail builder. It is easier than it looks, don’t overthink it, every obstacle is a joyful experience. On both days, both distances will have a long climb early in the stage. Finding a gentle incline to link 45 farms is somewhat challenging, but luckily the legs will still be fresh. The stretches will be short, while the reward will be plenty,” says Muller.

“Route highlights to look out for on Day One will include Dornier Farm where two aqueducts were opened, taking riders deep into the dense forest,” continues Muller. “Then, Jonkershoek and the GSpot feature some of the best trails in the country. On Day Two riders will get to experience the Noble Savage Trail at Bartinney Wine Estate. A new single-track that is easy to ride, the Noble Savage Trail features the most breathtaking views, hanging hair pins and top quality route designs that will blow your mind”

“The Banhoek Conservancy Team has been working on the routes for the last two years,” says Rose Jordaan, Owner Bartinney Wine Estate and Trustee: Banhoek Conservancy. “The idea is to generate work for the community, while socially and environmentally uplifting the whole Banhoek Region. Riders can look forward to experiencing brand new single track through land that on any other day will not be open to the public, breathtaking vistas and spectacular wine tasting on route”.

NUMBER COLLECTION:

Date: Thursday, 27 November 2014

Venue: Hofmeyer Hall, Church Street (Stellenbosch)

Time: 15:00 – 19:00 (Race Briefing at 18:00)

EVENT INFORMATION:

Stage One: Friday, 28 November 2014

Distance: +- 70km or +- 40km

Start Time: 07:00

Start Venue: Hofmeyer Hall, Church Street (Stellenbosch)

Finish Venue: Markotter Sports Field, Paul Roos Gymnasium (Stellenbosch)

Stage Two: Saturday, 29 November 2014

Distance: +- 70km or +- 40km

Start Time: 07:00

Start Venue: Hofmeyer Hall, Church Street (Stellenbosch)

Finish Venue: Markotter Sports Field, Paul Roos Gymnasium (Stellenbosch)

Follow us on Twitter: @OriginOfTrails / @Stillwater_MTB

Like our Facebook page: Stillwater MTB Events

For more information on the Pennypinchers Origin Of Trails please contact Stillwater Sports on 086 138 3591, email entries@stillwatersports.com or visit www.stillwatersports.com.

Related posts

Comments

Johny Bravo

Nov 24, 2014, 8:01 AM

Cant wait for Friday. Best race of the year, not that I race at all, I ride and enjoy.

BrandonF_

Nov 24, 2014, 10:49 AM

Super Amped!

Warren_G

Nov 25, 2014, 7:45 AM

1st stage race and the fact that the route is through mountain bikers heaven is even better!!!

Bosbrommer

Nov 25, 2014, 11:20 AM

My first one too. Super excited. My first time that I will be attending a "race briefing". :)

See you on the singletrack!

T-Bag68

Nov 25, 2014, 11:26 AM

Going to be great, I have brought my distance down dew to injury .. I have found an entry for a friend, but are they still doing substitutions< Do you know.. ??  

Thanks guys

BrandonF_

Nov 25, 2014, 11:48 AM

My first multi day event as well! Weather is looking fantastic too. Hope to meet some Hubbers!

Johny Bravo

Nov 25, 2014, 1:15 PM

I will see you hubbers after the race, just look for the guy with the biggest smile on his face, right next to the beer keg. Thats me. Brandon F and you crazy guys can klap the 70km, I am doing a relaxed 40km each day.

Was such a great race last year, so many pro riders that just took it easy. Rode with Eric Kleinhans for a while, he was in baggies and just loving it. 

Jean123

Nov 25, 2014, 1:39 PM

I'm really looking forward, but a bit nervous too I have to admit. By the looks of the comments on last year's event it was seriously tough...? (Saw a pic of a handlebar that had cntr-alt-delete pushed on it)

Did they change the route or are we following more or less the same stuff? 

JohanC

Nov 25, 2014, 1:45 PM

Amped for this event! Friday can come please!

Johny Bravo

Nov 25, 2014, 1:51 PM

I'm really looking forward, but a bit nervous too I have to admit. By the looks of the comments on last year's event it was seriously tough...? (Saw a pic of a handlebar that had cntr-alt-delete pushed on it)

Did they change the route or are we following more or less the same stuff? 

Last year was tough, this year looks a lot better, in terms of climbing. The second day last year was quite easy compared to day 1. Look forward to miles and miles of singletrack, and just the best experience.

Coolest race of the year by far, remember the after party Saturday night.

Johny Bravo

Nov 25, 2014, 2:12 PM

You guys can go check out in which batch you are starting.

http://www.stillwatersports.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/POOT-2014-Batch-Starts.pdf

milky4130

Nov 25, 2014, 3:21 PM

no.2 for me as well  :clap:

milky4130

Nov 25, 2014, 3:22 PM

Yikes 

http://www.stillwatersports.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/POOT-2014-Batch-Starts.pdf

Yikes A bunch  :devil:

milky4130

Nov 25, 2014, 3:25 PM

David George will be there too  :ph34r:

BrandonF_

Nov 25, 2014, 4:49 PM

Yikes

Yikes A bunch :devil:

B for me! No Milky and co to contend with, easy riding all the way!

B20

Nov 25, 2014, 5:37 PM

Looking forward to this one for the whole year.

Group D for me, 70 x 2.

Johny Bravo

Nov 25, 2014, 5:55 PM

Lekka man, lots of hubbers riding. 

Flowta

Nov 25, 2014, 6:26 PM

I'll be the guy at the back, D bunch for me  :clap:

B20

Nov 25, 2014, 6:53 PM

Just confirmed.  Ariane Kleinhans is not on the list, but she is riding as well.

B20

Nov 25, 2014, 6:56 PM

Lekka man, lots of hubbers riding. 

We should have a beer after the race. 

The after party on Saturday is going to legend. :w00t:

Johny Bravo

Nov 25, 2014, 7:09 PM

We should have a beer after the race. 

The after party on Saturday is going to legend. :w00t:

We must for sure. After party is gonna be lekka man. 

milky4130

Nov 25, 2014, 7:25 PM

B for me! No Milky and co to contend with, easy riding all the way!

haha 10min gap between batches will be no issue for you, just waved at least when you come flying by :-)
Juanhein20

Nov 25, 2014, 7:38 PM

Also my first multi day race. Will be starting in D.

Just leave some cold beers for us in the back.

Surv0MTB

Nov 25, 2014, 9:44 PM

So amped for this..!!!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment