Events

Mixed BSi Steel dusi2c title shot in Team Sani’s sights

· By Press Office · 0 comments

After powering their way to their maiden mixed category victory at the 2015 BSi Steel dusi2c the Team Sani duo of Bianca Haw and Andrew Houston will return to defend their title at the 2016 edition of the two-day journey through the Valley of a Thousand Hills from Pietermaritzburg to Durban starting on 11 June.

The adventure crazy dating couple are no strangers to the Valley having both performed well at FNB Dusi Canoe Marathon’s through the years however the mountain biking partnership flourished in 2015 when they won the mixed category title at the dusi2c by just over three and a half minutes.

ccs-62657-0-53932800-1464708664.jpgFollowing their impressive sixth place overall at the 2015 BSi Steel dusi2c, Team Sani’s Bianca Haw and Andrew Houston will return to defend their title at the 2016 edition of the race starting in Pietermaritzburg from 11-12 June. Anthony Grote/ Gameplan Media

The defence of their title is not at the forefront of their minds as they head into the 121km descent to the sea from Camps Drift however Houston, who knows the valley from both a river and trail, feels that the category contest is going to be another hard fought affair.

“We haven’t been riding as much as we did in the build-up to the dusi2c last year,” said Houston, who finished fifth at the 2016 FNB Dusi Canoe Marathon. “There are going to be a few strong teams there again this year I am sure but we will have to see how we go in our build up and through the race.

“We are a bit less prepared for the race this year than we were last year and I think we are going to have to rely quite a bit on our memory of the course!” he added.

As defending category champions the pair were able to make a decision quite late as to whether they would be riding again in 2016 and following a bout of illness to Haw the pair decided that they would be strong enough to give the event a good crack.

“We made the decision about two weeks ago, just after sani2c, but Bianca had been sick which was a bit worrying but she is on the mend now and we are looking forward to racing again together considering it has been a year since we last raced together!

“I think that the dusi2c is the only race in the year that Bianca lets me ride with her!” Houston said with a smile.

Having formed part of the organising team for the event the pair have a good idea of where the route goes and how to tackle certain sections of the course however Houston is a little worried that they might be a little under prepared when they get on the start line.

“We do have a good idea about how to ride the course and where to push ourselves and where to conserve which will be a positive for us.

“It always helps to be fit and as I said we are not as strong as we were last year but we are currently doing a bit of training in Mooi River so we are looking forward to the challenge that the race is going to pose,” he added circumspectly.

Despite the pressures of defending the mixed title Houston acknowledges that there are some other teams that will be breathing down their necks.

“We have some teams with our mates racing and my brother Alan and his partner Tim Lee will be pushing us all the way!

“You never want to be beaten by your mates so we will definitely be keeping an eye out for them!” Houston mentioned light-heartedly.

For more information visit www.dusi2c.co.za.

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment