Events

MTO partners with the FNB Wines2Whales Mountain Bike Events

· By Press Office · 9 comments

MTO is proud to announce a new partnership with the Western Cape’s most revered three day stage mountain bike (MTB) event, the FNB Wines2Whales (W2W) MTB Events.

“We are extremely excited to partner with MTO,” says Michael Meyer, FNB W2W MTB Director. “A lot of the trails that riders enjoy are on MTO grounds. The FNB W2W MTB Events also access MTO grounds on various stages. Having MTO as a partner will allow us to improve the route experience of the entrant, thus uplifting the overall experience of the event. Together with MTO’s support we look forward to continue breaking grounds in the sport of mountain biking.”

ccs-62657-0-06741400-1470041873.jpgMountain bike enthusiasts in action during the 2015 FNB Wines2Whales MTB Events. Photo Credit: Tobias Ginsberg

“MTO is a fully integrated timber products and solutions provider,” says Lawrence Polkinghorne, MTO Group CEO. “Our relationship driven culture is key to the success of our purpose to responsibly reshape the African timber landscape. We are proud to partner with FNB W2W as it shares a similar vision. The event is invested in people, community and the environment.”

“The prospect of developing our youth using sport as a foundation, granting them the opportunity to learn discipline, dedication, commitment and skills, is exciting” continues Polkinghorne. “This is a wonderful platform for MTO to identify people that we can assist through our sports academies and academic assistance programmes and finally to offer employment opportunities. Together with the FNB W2W MTB Events, we look forward to many exciting years of developing people, nurturing our environment, and giving back to the community.”

In addition to partnering with the FNB W2W MTB Events, MTO has also partnered with four premier off-road events that are hosted by leading sports marketing agency Stillwater Sports. These events include: the Pennypinchers Origin Of Trails, the Fedhealth XTERRA Grabouw, the Cell C AfricanX Trailrun presented by ASICS and the Cell C Arabella MTB Challenge.

Related posts

Comments

MarcW

Aug 1, 2016, 9:32 AM

MTO could have improved the route experience of w2w by not felling every single tree (big and small) in the Grabouw plantation and destroying the trails in the process.

PhilipV

Aug 1, 2016, 9:55 AM

Hopefully this translates to continuous trail maintenance being done in Grabouw, as the A2Z trail is ruined.

NicoBoshoff

Aug 1, 2016, 11:01 AM

Well if their commitment to the sport as reflected in jonkershoek is anything to go by I'd be dancing for joy instead of criticising...alas, 'tis the way of the Hubber.

PhilipV

Aug 1, 2016, 11:50 AM

The plantations are commercial concerns, so logging and replanting will always take preference to trails, and the storms will always damage trails, so building/maintenance in MTO properties will always come with challenges.

Iwan Kemp

Aug 1, 2016, 12:13 PM

Well if their commitment to the sport as reflected in jonkershoek is anything to go by I'd be dancing for joy instead of criticising...alas, 'tis the way of the Hubber  world.

Slowbee

Aug 1, 2016, 12:35 PM

MTO could have improved the route experience of w2w by not felling every single tree (big and small) in the Grabouw plantation and destroying the trails in the process.

You are aware this is commercial ? Sustainable at that. They will plant more trees soon.

And if you dont enter for 5 years, then the next time you ride the trees will be back. In the meantime I will ride for you. Problem solved. :clap:

NicoBoshoff

Aug 1, 2016, 1:01 PM

You are aware this is commercial ? Sustainable at that. They will plant more trees soon.

And if you dont enter for 5 years, then the next time you ride the trees will be back. In the meantime I will ride for you. Problem solved. :clap:

Ja I have it on good authority that all the logged and burnt forests in Jonkers have already undergone an aggresive re-planting process so in three to five years from now we'll be ripping through nice 3-5m forests all over JOnkers.  Thanks to MTO. 

MarcW

Aug 1, 2016, 1:36 PM

I understand the commercial aspect, I just don't understand why the small 3-5m tree's also had to go, surely they weren't at a viable age - every standing tree has been chopped. Some just left there, that is the worst part.

Slowbee

Aug 2, 2016, 6:01 AM

I understand the commercial aspect, I just don't understand why the small 3-5m tree's also had to go, surely they weren't at a viable age - every standing tree has been chopped. Some just left there, that is the worst part.

Ping Deanbean - he be a man who knows

But essentially different tree ages different uses.

Some go to paper mills, others for matchsticks, and then a whole range of raw pallet wood in between. 3 - 5 years is a sizable trunk and could have many uses.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment