Events

National Champ aims to claim local downhill title

· By Press Office · 6 comments

South African National DHI Champion, Tiaan Odendaal, will be looking to claim the provincial title at the 2015 KZN Provincial Enduro and Downhill Championships, sponsored by NMI-DSM, taking place at Cascades MTB Park in Pietermaritzburg on 6-7 June.

ccs-62657-0-47331200-1432623899.jpgSouth African National DHI Champion, Tiaan Odendaal, will be looking to claim the provincial title at the KZN Provincial Enduro and Downhill Championships, sponsored by NMI-DSM, which takes place at Cascades MTB Park in Pietermaritzburg on 6 and 7 June respectively. // Photo credit: Gavin Ryan/Quick Pix.

Spectators to the park will be able to see some of KZN’s best riders in action in two separate events – the popular and relatively new Enduro discipline on Saturday with the Downhill on Sunday. Both events start at 11:00 and not 12:00 as previously advertised.

Odendaal will be one of many young and not-so-young men and women aiming to claim the provincial titles on offer on a track that has attracted the world’s best downhill racers in previous years. Highly skilled riders will tackle the seriously technical track, where most sections will be the same as what was used in the World Cup last year.

The National Champion is feeling ready for battle. “I am feeling pretty comfortable, I mean it’s the same course as the SA Cup and I’m confident about it. Having said that, I am probably going to get a bit more nervous closer to the time.”

When asked whether or not he would be competing in the Enduro race the day before the downhill, Odendaal said, “I would love to race the Enduro but I’ll just have to see. If the distance between the timed sections is strenuous and the racing is very technical, then I probably won’t. For now my major focus is on Sunday’s downhill race – I don’t want to be too worn out before I race.”

Regular downhill podium contender, Tim Bentley, will also be competing in the DHI race and hopes to bring some excitement to the track with his flamboyant style and big air. Bentley – sponsored by Fox Head clothing and Greg Minnaar Cycles – feels the same way in terms of racing the National and Provincial races.

“For sure, a national race is always more stressful although there is still a bit of pressure for a provincial race. The vibe is a lot more relaxed than a national and there is a lot less tension between the riders on race day. But when you are in the start gate ready to go off for your run I think most riders would agree that you always feel nervous and feel the pressure of doing well no matter how big the race is.”

Downhill participants will have the morning to practice the technical sections on the track with official practice from 08:30-10:30 on Sunday, and racing starting at 11:00.

ccs-62657-0-50721100-1432623891.jpgHilton Frost, seen here enjoying the flowing trails of Enduro racing, will be vying for the Enduro title at the KZN Provincial Enduro and Downhill Championships, sponsored by NMI-DSM, which takes place at Cascades MTB Park in Pietermaritzburg on 6 and 7 June respectively. // Photo credit: Gavin Ryan/Quick Pix.

Saturday’s Enduro racing is open for anyone to race on any type of mountain bike, and its relaxed and social element have seen this discipline of mountain biking grow with each event on the provincial circuit.

ccs-62657-0-20592700-1432623896.jpgElite woman rider, Sabine Thies, will be racing for top honours in both disciplines at the KZN Provincial Enduro and Downhill Championships, sponsored by NMI-DSM, which takes place at Cascades MTB Park in Pietermaritzburg on 6 and 7 June respectively. // Photo credit: Gavin Ryan/Quick Pix.

Dave Drummond, event organiser for the KZN Enduro Champs, says that although the track is technical, there is nothing on the course that cannot be ridden on a XCO bike, even on a hardtail. With the focus being on fun, the Enduro race is sure to see another great turnout of keen riders looking for pure rider enjoyment!

Event details:

Date: 6-7 June 2015
Province: KwaZulu-Natal
Entries Close: 3 June 2015
Starting Time: 11:00
Late Entries: Yes
Timed By: Elite Timing
ROAG Registration: No
Event Website: http://www.kznmtb.co.za

Online pre-entries are now open, and close on Wednesday 3 June. Click here to enter: http://www.roag.co.za/eventinfo.aspx?EventID=1469. Late entries will be accepted at registration with a nominal charge of R50 in addition to the entry fee.

Entrance for spectators is free, and all are welcome to attend to watch some spectacular mountain bike racing.

For more information, contact Rebecca van der Linde info@kznmtb.co.za or Dellah Paul dellah@cyclingsa.com.

Comments

Shebeen

May 26, 2015, 8:34 AM

tian rides in pink?!

edit: corrected..should have screenshotted it!

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

May 26, 2015, 8:48 AM

LOL. That's Sabine Thies, a junior girls rider... 

I think the pics got mixed up a bit... Although that pic doesn't seem to be of an Elite lady... Erm... guys?

Super_mil

May 26, 2015, 8:55 AM

Yup, the pic of the rider in pink is Sabine Thies. Due to the lack of numbers in the ladies category all the girls ride in the same class. On a good day we have 3 or 4 ladies who race DH (who would be in 3 separate categories), depending on injuries or other commitments.

So, the blurb is correct as Beanie is currently racing in the elite ladies category along with all the other girls.

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

May 26, 2015, 8:56 AM

Yup, the pic of the rider in pink is Sabine Thies. Due to the lack of numbers in the ladies category all the girls ride in the same class. On a good day we have 3 or 4 ladies who race DH (who would be in 3 separate categories), depending on injuries or other commitments.

So, the blurb is correct as Beanie is currently racing in the elite ladies category along with all the other girls.

Ah. Makes sense. Sad, but it makes sense. 

Nick

May 26, 2015, 8:58 AM

Image correction. Tiaan now looks more like himself.

Super_mil

May 26, 2015, 9:08 AM

Ah. Makes sense. Sad, but it makes sense. 

In reality we have 8 - 10 girls who ride/race the KZN DH regional series (most from KZN & 1 or 2 from JHB). Most of the ladies are either elite or sub-vet. Beanie is the only regular junior girl, so there is no point to her racing against herself.

That said Beanie is no slouch and has been on the podium in (almost) every race so I think her inclusion in the elite category is a good thing.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment