Events

Nico Bell and Gawie Combrinck team up to form New Africa Developments (NAD) Pro MTB team

· By Press Office · 13 comments

2016 will see Bell (2013-2014 Nissan Series Champion) and Combrinck (2015 South African Marathon Champion) focus on Marathon racing with their main goal being to win the 2016 Absa Cape Epic African Leaders Jersey title.

ccs-62657-0-03423000-1450186022.jpg

New Africa Developments’ owner, Japie Van Niekerk’s, passion for cycling and friendship with the Bells Cycling store sparked an interest that resulted in the creation of a new cycling team.

NAD pioneers ground-breaking retail property developments in South Africa. Perserverence, determination and the will to succeed is the only way to be succesful. The same could be said for MTB racing where each corner holds a different challenge and potenial outcome. Success comes through relentless preperation and the will to win. NAD associates with this challenging sport and that is the reason for getting involved. NAD aligns itself with the best in the business and we believe this to be true in our partnership with Nico and Gawie. We look forward to a very successful 2016.
Japie Van Niekerk
ccs-62657-0-46353400-1450186022.jpg

The pairing of Bell and Combrinck comes as no surprise. They have been training together for the last 5 years and have raced together on MTB teams in the past.

After a very successful 2015 season, Bell will once again focus on the Asburton National Marathon series and ultra Marathon races.

Together the team will focus on key stage races – Sani2C, Cape Pioneer Trek and Wines 2 Whales to name a few.

I am very excited to race with my long time friend on a team. It is a huge opportunity for us to showcase our talent and stake our claim in the stage racing scene in South Africa. One of my big goals for 2016 is to achieve a top 20 in the Marathon World Championships.
Nico Bell

As well as being Bell’s team mate, defending SA Marathon Champion, Gawie Combrinck, will also be one of Bell’s main rivals in 2016. Each rider has strengths and weaknesses, but together they look set to form a formidable team. Gawie will focus on the Ashburton National Marathon Series and major stage races.

Teaming up with Nico for 2016 brings new challenges and goals. One of my goals is to win the African Jersey at the Absa Cape Epic and finish in the top 5 overall
Gawie Combrinck

ccs-62657-0-74708400-1450186022.jpg

The Team will kick off their 2016 campaign with some local road races in Mpumalanga, before turning their attention to the National MTB Series.

NAD Pro MTB Team will be riding Specialized Bicycles. Key partners include Westvaal, Oakley, Neolife, Bells Cycling and Xtreme Exposure.

Follow the team on social media:

Twitter – @nadpromtb
Facebook – Nad Professional MTB Team
Instagram – Nadpromtb
Website – www.teamnad.co.za

Comments

nonky

Dec 15, 2015, 2:12 PM

There go the NADs?

Odinson

Dec 15, 2015, 2:16 PM

Edit: On a serious note, these guys may be serious contenders for the Epic title, as there may not be a particularly strong field, as it is an Olympic year.

AllAboutRides

Dec 15, 2015, 3:38 PM

AWESOME!!!!! Wishing my to favorite MTBers all the best!!!!!

Jaco-fiets

Dec 15, 2015, 3:56 PM

Very happy for them!!! Any news on Johan Rabie for next year?

MEYER1

Dec 15, 2015, 4:04 PM

Hou net dop , dit sal nog kom.

MEYER1

Dec 15, 2015, 4:06 PM

Watch the space about Rabie  some interesting things coming.  

Jaco-fiets

Dec 15, 2015, 4:51 PM

In my opinion Rabie is probably the best rider in the country if you take the amount of training he puts in (not much at all I am made to believe) compared to the results he gets. Imagine if he actually starts training 10hr+ per week :whistling:

Ryanpmb

Dec 15, 2015, 6:41 PM

Always a bit of downer to hear of SA teams competing for the African Leaders Jerseys... as if we've given up hope of actually winning...

I understand the whole focus on one goal thing and direct your efforts towards this but these guys (and other SA (African) teams) are world class and need to believe in themselves to win this SOUTH AFRICAN race.

Good luck to the guys. I hope they achieve their goals, and more...

Rick Sanchez

Dec 15, 2015, 8:15 PM

A question of sponsorship and support I guess. A small, local team just can't compete with these European teams, it seems

raptor-22

Dec 16, 2015, 4:39 AM

Edit: On a serious note, these guys may be serious contenders for the Epic title, as there may not be a particularly strong field, as it is an Olympic year.

Pro field to be finalised in January and announced with the next newsletter according to yesterday's newsletter. Rumor is a strong pro field due to the late start of the XCO season on the 23rd/24th April.

Also only 6 XCO events next year

23/24 April 2016 Cairns Australia

21/22 May Albstadt Germany

28/29 May La Bresse France

9/10 July Lenzerheide Switzerland

6/7 August Mont St Anne Canada

3/4 September Valnoord Andorra

Chris NewbyFraser

Dec 31, 2015, 9:19 AM

The team owner, Japie, is a top level rally driver in a fully imported Ford costing about five bar. I wonder of the boys will get a chance to rally for him? 200kp/h on forest roads we ride on - now that is racing!

Shebeen

Dec 31, 2015, 9:38 AM

There go the NADs?

a poster campaign "GO NADS" would be a winner for the prologue
Shebeen

Dec 31, 2015, 9:42 AM

Hard to see the synergies between mtb and the company. Lots of malls in low LSM areas, but I guess tenants might just be in their target market.

http://www.nad.bz/about-us.htm

Always good to see new sponsors join the market

Add a comment

You must log in to comment