Events

Organisers Encourage E-bikes and Gravel Bikes at the Dr Evil Classic

· By Press Office · 0 comments

Organisers of the Dr Evil Classic 3-day stage race, which takes place from 17-19 September in the Plettenberg Bay area, are encouraging entries for the e-bike category which will have it’s own prize awarded. Gravel bikes are now also allowed and will have their own category and prize.

Race Co-founder Leon Evans says: “There are many e-bikes being sold these days, and we feel it’s important to cater for this group of people who also want to experience stage racing. We permit any type of bike at the Dr Evil Classic, gravel bikes included. Personally I think the routes are more suited to MTB’s, but there are some folk out there who like to push their limits with gravel or single speed bikes.”

ccs-62657-0-12128000-1580229782.jpgAll of the 3 stages of the Dr Evil Classic have different start venues, ensuring very different terrain each day

Ferdi Bravenboer was one of a small group of e-riders at the 2019 Dr Evil Classic and had this to say: “I bought my e-bike in 2018 because I just didn’t have enough time to train to keep up with my friends. I can’t think of any other race where an e-bike is more perfect than at the Dr Evil Classic. You are just so much more relaxed and it gives you time to actually appreciate your surroundings. The part I enjoyed the most was that all 3 days were set in totally different environments, so you never get bored or used to the views!”

ccs-62657-0-45415700-1580229784.jpgThe Dr Evil Classic shows off some of the best of the Garden Route

“I think e-bikes open up a whole new world of possible races and events for riders not as fit as their fellow riders, just to join in the fun. And that is the whole point of mountain biking, having as much fun as possible,” Bravenboer said.

With a different start venue for each stage of the Dr Evil Classic (but all within 20kms of each other), riders experience a very different type of landscape each day. The first stage leaves from Plettenberg Game Reserve with wildlife on view from the bike, then heads out for a scenic 70km mountainous ride.

Day 2 starts at Kurland Hotel and Polo Estate and is mostly made up of indigenous and plantation forest covering a distance of around 45km. The estate continues to expand its network of singletrack and 2020 riders will reap the benefits. Day 3 is 50kms, starting at Cairnbrogie Dairy Farm with its renowned network of singletrack along a coastline which forms part of the Robberg Coastal Corridor.

Sign up for the Dr Evil Classic here or email zandile@drevilclassic.co.za for a manual entry. Enter Dr Evil at 2019 prices by the end of March and be in line to win an amazing accommodation package from Hunter’s Country House worth R 15 000, along with 2 entries to the Karoo to Coast.

ccs-62657-0-29952600-1580229786.jpgDay 3 of the Dr Evil Classic provides stunning single track with breathtaking coastal views

The Lions Karoo to Coast Mountain Bike Challenge takes place the day after the Dr Evil Classic, on 20 September, and the combination of the two events over the Heritage Day long weekend, remains a strong drawcard for those looking for a feast of mountain biking.

The Lions Karoo to Coast is a 100 kilometre one-day marathon event, and sees up to 4500 riders cross the old wagon trail out of Uniondale before joining the Prince Alfred’s Pass through the Outeniqua Mountains to Knysna. The event is now 22 years’ old and one of the most popular one-day events in the country.

ccs-62657-0-69130700-1580229788.jpgThe spectacular Prince Alfred’s Pass is one of the highlights of the Lions Karoo to Coast

Enter here for the Lions Karoo to Coast or email zandile@karootocoast.co.za for a manual entry. Lions Karoo to Coast riders with a Dr Evil entry receive an automatic second batch seeding amongst seven batches, and the race is also a seeding event for the 2021 Cape Town Cycle Tour.

ccs-62657-0-62156800-1580229790.jpgThe Lions Karoo to Coast is a challenging 100kms on the bike

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment