Events

Organisers of KAP sani2c announce new dates in December

· By Press Office · 11 comments

In the light of recent developments relating to the Coronavirus pandemic, the organisers of KAP sani2c, the three-day mountain bike stage race in KwaZulu-Natal due to be held from 12-16 May, have made the decision to postpone the event to December.

The new dates for KAP sani2c will be 1-5 December, with the Trail version taking place from 1- 3 December, the Adventure from 2-4 December, and the Race will be from 3-5 December.

ccs-62657-0-19342400-1584356092.jpgPhoto Kelvin Trautman

‘Farmer’ Glen Haw, founder of the sani2c, says: “In the best interests of the health and wellbeing of the sani2c riders and the communities along its route, there is no question that the correct thing to do is to postpone. We are pleased to announce new dates, and the sani2c community looks forward to welcoming our riders in December.

In choosing the dates, the sani2c team is cognisant of other stage races taking place during the latter part of the year. They have considered avoiding the rainy season of September and October, and the fire season which affects farmers who enable access to their land.

“At sani2c our focus has always been to provide riders with the best possible experience while ensuring the upliftment of the communities along its route. We are ensuring that these communities are able to receive the much needed support that their involvement with sani2c provides.”

We are particularly grateful for the continued and unwavering support of our headline sponsor KAP, who also wants to ensure that the sani2c communities still benefit from its involvement,” he said.

“Our route crew will continue to work on the trails, and we will be assisting schools to pay teachers and provide other essential services that require the sani2c funding. This need helped inform our decision to postpone rather than to cancel this year’s event.”

KAP sani2c encourages riders to enter for the December dates, as all new entries will be fully refundable in the event of a later cancellation. For those previously entered who are not able to make the new dates, their entry will roll over to next year’s event.

The KAP sani2c travels 263kms from the Underberg area near the base of Sani Pass down to Scottburgh on the South Coast. It is the largest stage race in the country catering for over 3000 riders, in three separate versions of the event over five days.

Follow KAP sani2c on social media for updates:

Facebook: sani2c

Twitter: _sani2c

Instagram: _sani2c

Tags: ,

Related posts

Comments

Gnarly

Mar 16, 2020, 11:00 AM

Coming out the valley in summer again..... eish. 

mon-goose

Mar 16, 2020, 11:08 AM

better than not having the event at all I guess

Koos Likkewaan

Mar 16, 2020, 11:13 AM

Would it be better, weather wise (rain/mud), to do in December, or wait for May 2021 ?

Grease_Monkey

Mar 16, 2020, 1:03 PM

Would it be better, weather wise (rain/mud), to do in December, or wait for May 2021 ?

I am assuming they want to go ahead with the event in May 2021 as planned. Waiting for 2021 to do 2020's event means you are essentially cancelling it.This is about as good as it gets IMO, the event goes ahead, no one loses their entry fee. Maybe a couple of changed flight fees, and a few that won't have the dates open in their calendars - but overall a pretty good outcome.

Duane_Bosch

Mar 16, 2020, 1:17 PM

Waiting for 2021 to do 2020's event means you are essentially cancelling it.

The release says if you can't make the December dates your entry rolls over to 2021. It also says rainy season is Sept/Oct. 

As strange as this sounds I'm going to continue with my training program and see where it takes me.

sirmoun10goat

Mar 17, 2020, 2:45 PM

maybe some of us expacts can get in on the December action if visiting SA. I will be keeping my eye on entries 

Simon123

Mar 17, 2020, 4:17 PM

December I cannot make, so 2021, here we come.   Bummer.

In the meantime....

As strange as this sounds I'm going to continue with my training program and see where it takes me.

It will take you to your lounge in your underpants.

Owen

Mar 18, 2020, 6:50 AM

December will be change for many people. The dynamics of the event will change completely. Make sure you are prepared.

I see mother nature playing a role here as well, The heat in the valley is going to be real challenge. Another issue will be snakes. Next challenge will be the mist as the day two. The region of Highflats and Jolivet can get closed in with mist from as early as 3pm. So at the start of day two it will be extremely hot and then the afternoon wet and uncomfortable.

Duane_Bosch

Mar 18, 2020, 7:13 AM

It will take you to your lounge in your underpants.

Haha. Imagine a Buddha in Undies and HR monitor sweating on a turbo. What a sight!

mazambaan

Mar 18, 2020, 10:02 AM

Eish is a good word to use here methinks. When Sani was in Feb you either got properly cooked or soaked, sometimes both. We even nearly froze to death one year. The winter ones I've done have been relatively mild and Day 2 easier; Day 3 a little harder but no Heart Rate Hill.  Best of luck.

Rowl

May 12, 2020, 2:28 PM

Received the email that the Trail has been cancelled and those groups will now form part of the Race. I'm holding thumbs that some form of Sani2C will go ahead, but fairly realistic in expecting it won't.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment