Events

Reid, Kleinhans secure second stage victory at FNB W2W MTB Race

· By Press Office · 0 comments

Team RECM’s James Reid and Erik Kleinhans continued their winning streak at Oak Valley Wine Estate (Elgin-Grabouw) on Saturday, 07 November 2015 after completing Stage Two of the FNB Wines2Whales (W2W) Mountain Bike (MTB) Race in an impressive time of 02 hours 33 minutes 57 seconds.

Starting and finishing at the picturesque Oak Valley Wine Estate (Elgin-Grabouw), Stage Two has affectionately been dubbed ‘Play Day’. A single track haven, the 67km route featured a 1366m ascent and included the exhilarating Paul Cluver Bike Park and single tracks as well as the Kromco Play Park.

ccs-62657-0-48418700-1446903088.jpgTeam RECM’s James Reid and Erik Kleinhans continued their winning streak at Oak Valley Wine Estate (Elgin-Grabouw) on Saturday, 07 November 2015 after completing Stage Two of the FNB Wines2Whales (W2W) Mountain Bike (MTB) Race in an impressive time of 02 hours 33 minutes 57 seconds. Seen here (from left to right): James Reid and Erik Kleinhans in action on the day. // Photo Credit: Volume Photography.

“It was fantastic riding out front with Matthew and Stephan,” said Reid. “We train together and are really good friends. It was great working with them to stay ahead of the other teams. I’ve only ever taken part in W2W with my father, so I’ve never raced it. It is easier riding out in front, the terrain is easier and the track is clear. We didn’t expect to be the stronger team on the day. We’ll definitely be less aggressive going into Stage Three.” Matthew Beers and Stephan Senekal of Team Red-E came in second, while Waylon Woolcock and Darren Lill of Team USN Purefit finished third.

Candice Neethling and Ariane Kleinhans of Team RECM Ladies crossed the finish line in 02 hours 57 minutes 44 seconds, a mere 36 seconds ahead of race leaders Robyn De Groot and Jennie Stenerhag of Team Ascendis Health. “We had a very nice day on the bike,” said Kleinhans. “Robyn and Jennie are very strong. The entire time they were either just in front of us or just behind us. They did what they needed to. Stage Two is so much fun. It’s fast and actually feels like you’re flying. That is how mountain biking should be. Going into Stage Three, we’ll just try our best and hope for a chance.” Robyn De Groot and Jennie Stenerhag of Team Ascendis Health came in second, while Theresa Ralph and Samantha Sanders of Team Galileo Risk Valencia finished third.

Husband and wife duo Carl Pasio and Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio of Team Bigla set the pace in the mixed team category, claiming gold in a time of 03 hours 04 minutes 52 seconds. “Today was a technical day with lots of single track,” said Moolman-Pasio. “I had to keep my wits about me. Riding single track isn’t my strength, but it is beautiful and the bridges were amazing. The short punchy climbs allowed me to make up on some time. W2W is tough riding, but the scenery is beautiful.” Yolandi Du Toit and Gordon Alan of Team Garmin Navworld came in second, while Andreas Studer and Carmen Buchacher of Team Craft cycling finished third.

FNB Wines2Whales MTB Race

Saturday, 07 November 2015

Top 5 Results / Stage Two:

Men
1 Erik Kleinhans and James Reid / Team RECM 02:33:57,
2 Matthew Beers and Stephan Senekal / Red-E 02:34:09,
3 Waylon Woolcock and Darren Lill / USN Purefit 02:35:50,
4 Adriaan Louw and Hendrik Kruger / CONTEGO Pro MTB Team02:36:58,
5 Gawie Combrinck and Johann Rabie / EAI South Africa 02:38:45

Women
1 Candice Neethling and Ariane Kleinhans/ RECM Ladies 02:57:44,
2 Robyn De Groot and Jennie Stenerhag / Ascendis Health 02:58:20,
3 Theresa Ralph and Samantha Sanders / Galileo Risk Valencia 03:10:43,
4 Janine Rawlinson and Carla Van Huyssteen / Time Freight E Team 03:24:37,
5 Michelle Lombardi and Hanlie Booyens / Tiletoria Ladies 03:31:04

Mixed
1 Carl Pasio and Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio / Bigla 03:04:52,
2 Yolandi Du Toit and Gordon Alan / Garmin Navworld 03:06:04,
3 Andreas Studer and Carmen Buchacher / Craft cycling 03:06:05,
4 Kobus Barnard and Fienie Barnard / Kromco Barnards 03:09:21,
5 Brent Russell and Tandi Kitching / BroSis 03:14:37

Top 5 Results / GC: Stage One and Two combined:
Men
1 Erik Kleinhans and James Reid / Team RECM 05:34:40,
2 Adriaan Louw and Hendrik Kruger / 05:44:11,
3 Konny Looser and Christoph Sauser / Investec Songo 05:45:14,
4 Matthew Beers and Stephan Senekal / Red-E 05:45:47,
5 Gawie Combrinck and Johann Rabie / EAI South Africa 05:45:57

Women
1 Robyn De Groot and Jennie Stenerhag / Ascendis Health 06:33:33,
2 Candice Neethling and Ariane Kleinhans / RECM Ladies 06:36:24,
3 Theresa Ralph and Samantha Sanders / Galileo Risk Valencia 06:59:21,
4 Janine Rawlinson and Carla Van Huyssteen / Time Freight E Team 07:31:29,
5 Michelle Lombardi and Hanlie Booyens / Tiletoria Ladies 07:36:55

Mixed
1 Carl Pasio and Ashleigh Moolman / Bigla 06:52:25,
2 Yolandi Du Toit and Gordon Alan / Garmin Navworld 06:55:33,
3 Andreas Studer and Carmen Buchacher / Craft cycling 06:57:30,
4 Kobus Barnard and Fienie Barnard / Kromco Barnards 07:01:28,
5 James Lennard and Katherine Lennard / Team Lennard 07:11:31

Related posts

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment