Events

Rising MTB stars Hobson and Rebello shine at Gravel & Grape

Supplied by Braai.com Media.

· By Press Office · 0 comments

Rob Hobson and Dylan Rebello (Imbuko Momsen) have won the fourth annual Gravel & Grape weekend of MTB in the Breedekloof Wine Valley. The event took place from 4-6 May. The rising stars pipped Jurgens Uys and Nicol Carstens (Giant RSA) to the overall post by almost 10 minutes after three days of tough riding.

Hobson and Rebello only came together a week before the event after losing their regular riding partners to injury.

As predicted, the main contenders for the Gravel & Grape Extreme – Hobson and Rebello (Team Imbuko Momsen) and Nicol Carstens and Jurgens Uys (Team Giant RSA) – provided the fireworks for the weekend.

ccs-62657-0-72297000-1525668075.jpgDylan Rebello. Images: Chris Hitchcock/Gravel & Grape

Rebello has been in sparkling form this year, riding an impressive 2018 Cape Epic to finish 18th overall in a world class field and winning the solo category of the Knysna Bull event.

“It’s always nice to win,” said Rebello. “I enjoyed the Epic – it was just very tough – and felt like I rode really well, so coming into the Gravel & Grape I was quite confident in my ability.”

Rebello and Hobson revelled in the technical terrain that the event has become known for. “The Gravel & Grape takes you over quite a few trails you do in the Epic, so it’s not for the faint of heart. But I really enjoyed the ride. Its technical, but fun. The entire race was a really great experience,” said Rebello.

Hobson agreed that the riding was tough but enjoyable.

“I rode this event last year, so it was nice to have the route experience. I remember it being very tough in 2017. Having some knowledge of the trails definitely made it more fun this year. I think the organisers did a great job with the trails, and really improved on some sections from last year too,” said Hobson.

ccs-62657-0-25360800-1525668072.jpgImages: Chris Hitchcock/Gravel & Grape.

A long year of racing lies ahead for the pair, but first they have to conquer another challenge – their exams. Later this week, they’ll both be returning to university.

“I actually brought my books this weekend to study in the evening,” said Rebello.

In the ladies 3-day Gravel & Grape Extreme race, Katie Lennard and Ila Stow were victorious, while in the 2-day Gravel & Grape Extreme Johann Trotzky and Rossouw Bekker (ASG Factory Racing) claimed the title.

In the Gravel & Grape Adventure 2-day, WG van der Walt and Heine Beukes (Mohein) took the honours.

While the racing at the sharp end was fast and furious, the bulk of the field enjoyed a challenging ride over technical terrain.

Rocks, river crossings and testing switchbacks meant that the field had to stay wide awake over the three days. Also in attendance was Jan Braai, who enjoyed the demanding trails.

ccs-62657-0-99584800-1525668065.jpgJan Braai. Images: Chris Hitchcock/Gravel & Grape

“We rode through here in the Epic, but I can say this was much more fun! The guys put on a great event, and the hospitality was brilliant – especially the braai on day 2.”

The Gravel & Grape Mountain Bike Events are the ideal windows into the world of the Breedekloof Wine Valley. Stunning views, bountiful wine farms, green valleys and abundant nature were the rewards for riding.

The Gravel & Grape route was crafted to reflect the rugged nature of the valley, but also to show its gentler side. Stunning views, unique scenery, and three days of pure mountain biking left riders tired, but appreciative of the area.

“We believe we’ve put together an incredible route for the Gravel & Grape this year,” says Melody Botha, CEO of Breedekloof Wine and Tourism. “Riders were tested, but they also enjoyed all the highlights of our valley, including the local support and hospitality. As a community and an event, we are always pleased to host visitors, and I’m sure more will start to come and experience what we’ve always known to be a special place.”

Gravel & Grape Extreme MTB overall results

Men

1 Robert Hobson and Dylan Rebello (Imbuko Momsen) – 7:26:28
2 Jurgens Uys and Nicol Carstens (Giants RSA) – 7:35:08
3 Aaron Borrill and Gys Malan (LungBusters) – 8:22: 59

Women

1 Katie Lennard and Ila Stow (Nine.Nine) – 8:42:06
2 Marleen Lourens and Lehane Oosthuizen (Breedenet 1) – 9:42:48
3 Helene Rabie and Jeannie de Villiers (Citricom Girls) – 10:24:58

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment