Events

RMB Change A Life Academy’s Ndumiso ‘Maza’ Dontso wins JBay Wind Farm MTB Classic

· By Press Office · 0 comments

Ndumiso ‘Maza’ Dontso won the JBay Wind Farm Classic on Saturday 16 July 2016, beating local favourite Jason Meaton and co RMB rider, Luvuyo ‘Thando’ Siyasi. Maza, who hails from Molteno is part of Martin Dreyer’s RMB Change A Life MTB team. This was his first win – and indeed his first race – in his home province.

ccs-62657-0-76414100-1468770531.jpgThe only race of its kind in Africa to traverse a wind farm.

“I’m very happy with the win,” said a visibly elated Maza after the win. “It was tough though – the wind played a big role and for a large part of the race I was isolated.” Indeed, the ‘wind’ did show up for the fourth edition of this event (previously known as the JBay MTB Open), in the form of a stiff morning Southwesterly, but then perhaps it wouldn’t be a fitting ‘Wind Farm Classic’ without.

According to Maza he played it safe early on and worked with another rider while to others were up the road. At around the 35-kilometre mark he made his move and stayed out front for the rest of the 85-kilometres (with some 1462 metres of climbing). “I just put my head down and road a consistent tempo,” Maza said.

The top three women in the 85km were made up of Yolande de Villiers, three time defending champion, Anriëtte Schoeman and San Marie Woithe.

While Maza, De Villiers and co were battling it out at the sharp end of the field some 400 other mountain bikers braved the the chilly, blustery conditions to ride the only event of its kind to traverse a wind farm over three routes – 85km, 50km and 25km.

ccs-62657-0-40308800-1468770533.jpg85KM Mens winners: left to right – Jason Meaton (2nd), Ndumiso Dontso (1st), Luvuyo Siyasi (3rd)

“The race is going from strength to strength and that shows in the entry numbers, which have more than doubled since last year,” commented Willie van Niekerk Commercial Director of the Jeffreys Bay Wind Farm, who himself completed the 25-kilometre route.

“There was some very good wind,” he joked at the prize giving, “we always appreciate good wind, being a wind farm.”

The Jeffreys Bay Wind Farm has committed to at least three more years as title sponsor of the event so it promises to keep growing. “Mountain-biking being a carbon-free, clean sport is exactly the way we want to do business,” he said. “Another aspect of the event is that it offers people the opportunity to get access to see the turbines up close, which is not always possible.”

Full results available at www.mountainevents.co.za.

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment