Events

Sebona, Ralph crowned Magalies Monster MTB Champions

· By Press Office · 0 comments

Phillimon Sebona had the crowded on their feet at the 15th annual FNB Magalies Monster MTB Classic at the ATKV (Buffelspoort) on Saturday, 03 June 2017.

Attracting a whopping field of over 2000 riders, the FNB Magalies Monster MTB Classic featured a Full Marathon (66km), a Marathon (33km) and a Fun Ride (15km).

ccs-62657-0-55268900-1496499715.jpgPhillimon Sebona claiming gold on the day. Photo Credit: Tobias Ginsberg.

Making his FNB Magalies Monster debut on the day, Sebona claimed gold in the Full Marathon (66km) in a lightning fast time of 03 hours 06 minutes 10 seconds. “I’m used to racing the longer stage races, but have heard that the Magalies Monster was one of the toughest one day races. I had to try it out,” says Sebona. “There was about six of us riding together just before the Monster Climb. I was between 2nd and 3rd from the front, but was dropped just before we reached the top. My legs just weren’t warm enough. I managed to catch up in the last 20km. The terrain was rough going up. There was no easy traction, while the downs had loose corners. I had to control my pace. The Magalies Monster was a great experience. There were a lot climbs, my kind of racing. I’ll definitely be back in 2018.” Wessel Botha came in second, while Henry Uys finished third.

Theresa Ralph obliterated the field in the women’s Full Marathon (66km) crossing the finish line in 03 hours 36 minutes 06 seconds. “I had fun today,” said a very happy Ralph. “The route changed from last year. There was a lot of loose sand. I guess it wouldn’t be the Monster if it wasn’t difficult. I took it easy at the start, riding at my own pace, not pushing too hard. It’s a lovely event. FNB really does a great job at hosting the riders. I’m very happy to take the win.” Johandri Leicester came in second, while Adrienne Moolman finished third.

Pieter du Toit was the rider to beat in the men’s Marathon (33km) crossing the finish line in 01 hour 22 minutes 25 seconds. “The race was very nice,” said a happy du Toit. “It’s nice coming out to Buffelspoort and the ATKV. I wanted to win today. The climbs were steep and the down hills technical. Personally I really enjoyed the single track. It was really nice to win.” Brendan Van Eeden came in second, while Willem Van Eck finished third.

Danielle Strydom secured the top spot on the podium in the women’s Marathon (33km) in a deserving time of 01 hour 40 minutes 50 seconds. “This is one of my favourite races,” said Strydom. “The route is tough, rocky and challenging. It’s a real adrenaline rush.” Tanya Kotze came in second, while Natalie Strydom finished third.

Liam McCoy’s finishing time of 56 minutes 04 seconds secured him the top spot on the podium in the men’s Fun Ride (15km). “A friend of mine was also racing today. My goal was definitely to beat him. It was a fun race.” Bertie Emmett Anderson came in second, while Gottlieb Rudolph Labuschagne finished third.

Nicole Botha was the first rider home in the women’s Fun Ride (15km) crossing the finish line in 01 hour 06 minutes 06 seconds. “I really enjoyed the route. The climbs were hectic though. I’ll definitely be back next year.” Caitlin McCoy came in second, while Niamh Nangle finished third.

“The FNB Magalies Monster MTB Classic definitely lived up to its expectation; the intensity and pace of the race was incredible. This race clearly epitomises how adventure is at the forefront on how we tailor make innovations for our clients. Congratulations to the winners of the race and everyone who competed today” said Mike Vacy- Lyle, CEO FNB Business.

Related posts

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment