Events

Statement on bike jacking incident at Die Burger MTB Challenge

· By Press Office · 42 comments

A woman participating in the 50km event was confronted by a man wielding a knife who, after threatening her, stole her bike. As organisers we are all very grateful that she was not injured.

The incident took place during the 10th running of Die Burger MTB Challenge.

Organisers were alerted via the emergency line that a suspicious man was spotted in the Faure sector of the route. The sector manager was immediately dispatched to the location to assess the situation. The area is covered in alien vegetation making it very difficult to spot any culprits.

The sector manager remained in the area during which time we got no further reports.

Whilst patrolling the area, the sector manager responded to her calls for assistance and could transport her to one of our roving route managers who brought her to the finish area. There she was placed in the care of the event co-organiser and staff while we waited for her husband (also riding) to finish.

As background, the event uses 11 Sector managers with vehicles to manage the various sectors of routing that need to be covered. Each route arrow is rechecked on race morning and the sector managers are tasked to ensure that the course is safe.

A lot of opinions are currently being aired about the event’s responsibility in ensuring rider safety and to what levels the event should go to ensure safety.

It is a well known fact that cycling events are targeted by criminals. Up to date this has been restricted to petty crime in and around parking and event staging areas.

For this year’s event we employed 32 security guards to prevent theft from vehicles. These are not car guards but security staff from a registered security company.

On top of the 32 guards, we had 25 trained car guards from the Stellenbosch parking meter management team.

In one incident, for example, a man approached the car guards offering each R1000 in cash to move from the area to allow him to target cars in the area but was dealt with by the security team.

As organisers, we deal with multiple event related incidents during the day, managed through a central venue operations centre.

In terms of the incident in question, we must at this stage look at what has to be done differently to ensure something similar does not happen again.

It is certainly not expected that an incident of such extraordinary nature would happen while a large event takes place considering the volume of participants and focussed event planning in execution.

Again, this type of incident has never happened on our event, or similar events, before to our knowledge. We view this incident in an extremely serious light and are working hard with the Stellenbosch authorities to prevent similar incidents in future.

It is tremendously frustrating that many months of planning and a stressful week of setup has to be tainted by an incident of this nature. As an immediate measure we have decided to find an alternative venue for a large 1500 rider event we are hosting in the same area in September.

Comments

raptor-22

Aug 3, 2015, 12:07 PM

If news reporters can be mugged on live TV then this incident is well within the ambit of what could be considered to be expected behavior from our criminal element.

Baaisikilist

Aug 3, 2015, 12:11 PM

Shees, the Cape is getting smashed left right and centre with bike theft. It's become an epidemic...

urbanroyal

Aug 3, 2015, 12:12 PM

I would like to know who the scumbag is that was offering the 1k cash bribes..????????????

Slowbee

Aug 3, 2015, 12:18 PM

The Faure sector ...... did not do the ride, but anyone have a route map to sow the faure sector ?

The local riding trails I use go through alot of Faure land and it would be great to know where I need to keep a look out more than usual.

velomonatiCT

Aug 3, 2015, 12:29 PM

my opinion only ...

Shebeen

Aug 3, 2015, 12:34 PM

I'm not sure if it's right to point the finger at dirtopia here. For me it would depend on where the route actually went. If it is pretty standard farmland, then surely not their problem as you can't anticipate everything - this has never happened before AFAIK.

BUT if it went past a known hotspot/seedy area and they knew about it and still didn't do much to check security/monitor then, and only then, you might have a bit of a case.

All those marshalls, all that security and still it wasn't enough. most depressing thought of all.

Shebeen

Aug 3, 2015, 12:34 PM

The Faure sector ...... did not do the ride, but anyone have a route map to sow the faure sector ?

The local riding trails I use go through alot of Faure land and it would be great to know where I need to keep a look out more than usual.

it's here - not a satellite map though - http://www.dirtopia.co.za/images/stories/stellenbosch_50_30_15.pdf

nonky

Aug 3, 2015, 12:39 PM

So, in our lovely and blessed land, we are not safe even during EVENTS any more?
W.T.F.

Skubarra

Aug 3, 2015, 12:53 PM

happily no one was injured but I think there is a responsibility here :whistling:

I disagree with you, unless it's clearly something the organisers should have foreseen I don't see why it is their responsibility to replace losses caused by criminals. As said earlier, this is the first time something like this happened, I myself wouldn't have foreseen criminals to be so brazen to attack a rider in a mass participation event.

Zatopek

Aug 3, 2015, 12:55 PM

I'm not so sure absolute safety along every meter of a route can ever be guaranteed.

A bigger issue though - can I assume the guy that offered 1k bribes (to the guards from a registered company) was arrested? Please tell me he did not just walk away.

Mojoman

Aug 3, 2015, 1:01 PM

One question I am always asked when booking venues for clients is....is it safe...my answer? How safe can you ever be anywhere at anytime in South Africa these days? If all reasonable precautions are taken then what more can you do?

Joe Low

Aug 3, 2015, 1:02 PM

I disagree with you, unless it's clearly something the organisers should have foreseen I don't see why it is their responsibility to replace losses caused by criminals. As said earlier, this is the first time something like this happened, I myself wouldn't have foreseen criminals to be so brazen to attack a rider in a mass participation event.

You're saying it's the same level of liability as if a cyclist was run over by a motor vehicle during an event i.e. it's part of the environment?

velomonatiCT

Aug 3, 2015, 1:05 PM

DIPSLICK

Aug 3, 2015, 1:14 PM

So, in our lovely and blessed land, we are not safe even during EVENTS any more?

W.T.F.

YOU know how many ladies i know and gents actually who  use races for training in a "safe enviroment"  rather than being attacked alone,, :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:

Hairy

Aug 3, 2015, 1:17 PM

my opinion only ...

the organisers are going to a lot of trouble to show how much responsibility they feel they have for a bunch of competitors who are made to sign an indemnity form that says the organisers take no responsibility for whatever happens ...

if they thought it was all safe why all the security and sector managers patrolling etc

and those indemnity forms count for nothing if its a financial arrangement (you pay them money to participate)

I think the organisers should be replacing bikes and equipment because they where obviously very aware of the security risks on the course and failed to adequately protect participants (I believe more than one person was mugged) who paid to take part in their event

happily no one was injured but I think there is a responsibility here :whistling:

Dirtopia usually have many sector managers along the routes for their managed events, that's just what they do.

Security was focused on the parking areas from what I have read, this makes sense as many bikes have been stolen from parked cars at events.

NOTE: Not trying to be an ass here, just going by how they have managed other events

Skubarra

Aug 3, 2015, 1:21 PM

You're saying it's the same level of liability as if a cyclist was run over by a motor vehicle during an event i.e. it's part of the environment?

I can recall a few PPA races where cyclists were taken out & almost taken out by cars - don't recall any lawsuits against PPA coming from this.

We would expect organisers to take reasonable precautions, if we expect organisers to indemnify us from every single risk then it would be too expensive & risky to host events

Mr X

Aug 3, 2015, 1:22 PM

Don`t blame the organizers blame the criminals and the justice system that fails to deter this type of criminality.

Guest notmyname

Aug 3, 2015, 1:23 PM

YOU know how many ladies i know and gents actually who use races for training in a "safe enviroment" rather than being attacked alone,, :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Pay to train, pay to race, pay with your bike to ride, Pay For the okes homestead, pay, pay. This place is just getting worse and worse.

Skubarra

Aug 3, 2015, 1:27 PM

so im just being argumentative here so forgive me ok :thumbup:

but they did forsee it otherwise why all the security if it was all safe then surely one car guard would have been enough ?

the fact that they laid on all the security and area managers indicates that they did forsee the need for all the security etc

which means they where aware or believed that there was a potential for criminal activity

Using your line of arguing you can say that every cyclist that falls and ends up in hospital can claim all their expenses and loss of income from the organisers. Given that the organisers have ambulances and medics on duty they obviously have foreseen that some cyclists will fall and are therefore fully liable.

Dubber

Aug 3, 2015, 2:16 PM

I must say, if it was me, I would be gutted and would be asking some questions of the organisers.

However, that said, where do you draw the line?  How many people have had their bike nicked from the parking lot of an event?  How many have had their kit, helmet etc lifted while they have been enjoying a beer post event?  

All the organisers fault?

velomonatiCT

Aug 3, 2015, 2:16 PM

Rust Never Sleeps

Aug 3, 2015, 2:31 PM

The sad reality of SA unfortunately. One would expect to be safe in an organised event because of the numbers of people riding but I guess the criminal waited until he saw a potential victim on her own and struck. Organisors took reasonable precautions but again this is SA and nobody is safe. Crime happens under the noses of police and security guards in every suburb . Criminals are running this country but before I get too political let me sign off.

Glad that the lady is safe and sound.

Skubarra

Aug 3, 2015, 2:38 PM

you can claim it apparently comes as insurance under your PPA membership /day licence hence the ambulance and medics etc (not sure about loss of income though )

:whistling:

I think I understand, just like you can claim your stolen bike from insurance?  :whistling:

DJR

Aug 3, 2015, 2:44 PM

Terrible news this.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment