Events

Sublime trails beckon final KZNMTB Downhill and Enduro Series competitors

· By Press Office · 1 comment

The sublime trail network and heavenly singletracks that are synonymous with mountain biking in the Howick and Karkloof areas will play host to the third rounds of the 2016 KZNMTB Provincial Enduro and Downhill Series – presented by Greg Minnaar Cycles, on Saturday 21 May and Sunday 22 May respectively. Sunday’s Downhill event will no doubt attract riders from around the country as the race doubles as the fourth round of the 2016 SA National DHI Cup Series.

“I’m loving this season so far,” says Junior Men’s Provincial Series Log leader, Christopher Philogene. “Leading my category is awesome and being up there with the big guys is even better,” he added. Philogene says that the plan for him would be take the title in his age group in the SA National Cup as well as the KwaZulu-Natal series race this weekend so that he can be selected for the UCI MTB World Championships in Val Di Sole, Italy, from 6-11 September. “I feel if I stay on my bike I could take the win, although, my competition is getting better and better every race,” he said.

ccs-62657-0-49418400-1463557924.jpgJunior Men’s DHI Series Log leader, Christopher Philogene, hopes to stay on top at the third and final round of the 2016 KZNMTB Provincial DHI Series – presented by Greg Minnaar Cycles, taking place in Karkloof on Sunday 22 May. Photo credit: Paul Botma

The 17-year-old says that being “up there” in the rankings, where he currently lies third overall on the National Series Log, is “rad”. “Jono (my brother) is also up there in first place for the SA DHI Cup Series, and being up on the podiums with him is awesome,” he said. “We both have been putting in the effort together and he’s helped me a lot, so being up on the podium with him and seeing the hard work pay off is a great feeling – I’m sure he would say the same.”

The 2 Bro’s Racing rider says that he only began to take Downhill riding seriously last year, when “2 Bro’s” started. Him and his brother have been riding since the age of eight and had been intermittent with the Downhill discipline until the past few years. “We originally started motocross at the age of four until it got a bit to costly for my parents, although Downhill isn’t far off now,” he said.

Both brothers had dabbled in other disciplines as well, such as Motocross, BMX and XCO. “While racing our first cross-country race at Worlds View in Pietermaritzburg, we saw a much more exciting and crazy sport on the other side of the mountain, which was obviously the Downhill. Ever since then I’ve loved and enjoyed the sport. I decided that this is what I want to make a success out of in my life and now put everything into my riding,” he concluded.

Taking part in both events is Elite Women’s contender Lauren Hoyer. And in order to keep her energy up for Sunday, she says: “After the Enduro on Saturday, the key is to get hydrated and then just to relax, normally by having a few post-race beers. For me, the Downhill event is a mental race so I can generally ignore the pain in my arms and legs from two days of hard riding because you don’t really have a choice but to just suck it up and carry on.”

Her first ever visit to the Karkloof course was last weekend. “I am so excited to race there,” she added.

Like the younger Philogene, Hoyer also experimented with cross-country racing. “Until I realised it really was not all that fun, so I started on a Downhill bike about two years ago and raced my first season last year. Now I plan my yearly calendar around the races,” she says.

When asked about the possible pressure of the Downhill Provincial also counting as a National Cup race, she said: “I am not very fast, so for me competing in the races helps me to push myself to develop my riding skills and have fun with all my mates. I am not racing for places or points, although getting good results is always a great feeling!”

ccs-62657-0-14423700-1463557925.jpgElite Women’s rider, Lauren Hoyer is looking forward to her weekend at the third and final rounds of the 2016 KZNMTB Provincial Enduro and DHI Series – presented by Greg Minnaar Cycles, taking place in Howick on Saturday 21 May and Karkloof on Sunday 22 May respectively. Photo credit: Ink Black Photography

Sitting second in the Elite Women’s category for Downhill and third in the Enduro in the KZNMTB Series Logs, Hoyer says that the major difference between Downhill and Enduro is the length of the race. “For the Enduro, the stages for this weekend are really long and you have to be strategic about where to go flat out and where to rest. I’m not sure how I’m actually going to get through all three of the stages without passing out,” she laughed.

“The Downhill is all about practice, line choice and making as few mistakes as possible to get the cleanest and smoothest run. A smooth run in a Downhill race is one of the best feelings ever, whereas in Enduro, if you mess up on one stage you could possibly make it up on another,” she added.

To view the 2016 KZNMTB Provincial Enduro Series Log after two events, click here.

To view the 2016 KZNMTB Provincial DHI Series Log after two events, click here.

To view the 2016 SA DHI Cup Series Log after three rounds, click here.

The third and final rounds of the 2016 KZNMTB Provincial Enduro and DHI Series – presented by Greg Minnaar Cycles, takes place in Howick on Saturday 21 May and Karkloof on Sunday 22 May respectively. Entries are open and close at midnight on Wednesday 18 May. Click here to enter: https://www.roag.co.za/online-entries.aspx?EventID=1729.

For more information, contact Rebecca van der Linde info@kznmtb.co.za.

Comments

Super_mil

May 18, 2016, 9:37 AM

Looking forward to this weekends racing! 

Add a comment

You must log in to comment