Events

Top riders comment on dramatic new Absa Cape Epic route

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 14 comments

Both local and international mountain biking enthusiasts will be taking on the demanding eight day Absa Cape Epic of 718km with 14 850m of climbing during next year’s event. With its unexplored landscapes, the stage locations of Robertson, Greyton and Oak Valley Wine estate await the most prestigious mountain bike stage race in the world, before riders again finish at the Lourensford Wine Estate.

ccs-41808-0-23912600-1383206886.jpg

Image credit: www.sportzpics.net

For four-times Absa Cape Epic winner Christoph Sauser, the new route will suit him, as he is a good all-rounder. “This will be my tenth Absa Cape Epic. I look forward to Robertson as I have good memories from last year. I have less fond memories of Greyton as we lost an Absa Cape Epic due to Burry‘s famous crash there, where we broke the front wheel. I personally was hoping we go back to Wellington and especially Stellenbosch, as it’s my second home! Stage 5 will be very difficult as we’ll be tired and we have the UFO and Groenlandberg to climb, which are never easy after 5 days of racing already. We’re targeting an overall win, so every stage has the same importance. We always decide what to do in a situation and don’t follow a master plan.”

Karl Platt, also a four-times winner of the Absa Cape Epic, reckons every year is hard. “We’re returning to familiar terrain from past years. Because mountain biking has changed in South Africa, I’m really looking forward to seeing the new style of self-made trails in and around these towns. They are really famous for awesome and breathtaking mountain biking.” With regards to the stages, he reckons they will all be difficult. “The long distance stages are especially difficult to amateurs. One of the key stages will be the stage to Oak Valley with the monster of Groenlandberg. I can remember that terrain very well, maybe because of all the impressions from past years and the pain. Not to sound arrogant, we’ll target every stage for a win. It’s more about the GC (General Classification) than the wins though.” He jokingly adds that there are no easy stages during the Absa Cape Epic. “I promise.”

This will be the second Absa Cape Epic for South African rider, Darren Lill. “The route looks like it’s sure to live up to the Epic reputation! I think stage 5 will be the most challenging. Already having four stages in the legs, and then having to tackle almost 3000m of climbing is going to be tough. You have to give 100% every day to be at the front end of the race, and stand a chance at the overall podium.” His approach to the race will be “eat, sleep, train, repeat!”

Stefan Sahm, three-times winner of the Absa Cape Epic, reckons the new route is the same as every year. “The profile, facts and figures never show the real pain and suffering that awaits you. It’ll be nice to ride through some places we haven’t seen in previous years.” With regards to which stage will be the most difficult, Sahm is philosophical. “I guess it’s a bit like Russian roulette – there can always be a day when everything is against you. It’s not just the route and the terrain.”

Swiss rider and two-times winner (in the Ladies and Mixed categories) Esther Süss is convinced the route will be hard to ride. “I’m not looking forward to stage 3. I’m not so good in flat and fast sections and I also don’t like it. Stage 6 has lots of singletrack, which I love, and I’m also a good climber. We’ll do our best for stage wins as long as we have fun. But of course I’d like to win. I enjoy the Absa Cape Epic very much.”

This will be the second Absa Cape Epic for Cherise Stander. “I think it’s going to be extremely testing. It seems like the 2014 Cape Epic has all the variety to test a rider on every level and that one will have to be prepared for an extremely tough 8 days. I think every stage is an opportunity to break away. However, you don’t want to find yourself wasting energy riding by yourself when other teams are working together in a bunch. Its a big dream of mine to one day cross the last stage into Lourensford in first place – the vibe on the finish line is magical and I would love to be able to win that stage.”

Team Absa rider, William Mokgopo, with two Absa Cape Epic finishes under his belt, says riders would need to prepare well. “I don’t know why I’m doing this again. There are no easy stages on the Absa Cape Epic – even the so-called ‘easy’ stages are hard. But, I really look forward to stage 5, the Queen stage, as I’m a good climber.” He jokingly adds they might even go for a win in the stage. “During both Stage 1 and 5, we’ll see the super humans break away from the normal ones and climbing is always the best place to do that. It seems like it’s going to be a hard one, but it’s always a great experience. I can’t wait to start.”

South African rugby legend, Joel Stransky, will again be riding for Team Absa and reckons, “The route looks tough, but it looks fair! Some really tough days, a long day and some incredible singletrack. Everything one would expect from Dr Evil and the team! The real change I suppose is that the ‘sting in the tail’ does come toward the end. Stage 5 looks very tough, stage 6 relatively tough and we know that the last day home is short but properly tough at the end of 8 days!” This will be Stransky’s 5th Absa Cape Epic. “I don’t mind the climbing and over the years I’ve learned to suffer, so I am looking forward to the challenge of stages 1 and 5. But the last 5 kilometers down to Lourensford definitely suit me best. Every year is the same – when I see the route for the first time, the hair on the back of my neck stands up. One of life’s great challenges is right there in front of me – the journey to the start line and the Absa Cape Epic itself. I can’t wait!”

Related posts

Comments

nathrix

Nov 1, 2013, 6:59 AM

Who's going to be Christoph Sauser's team mate?

rouxtjie

Nov 1, 2013, 7:08 AM

Who's going to be Christoph Sauser's team mate?

+1...can't see it being coolharvey...think his xc season got affected by all the marathon training he did. Will have to be a spez factory team mate....Wells...thejap??? who knows

nathrix

Nov 1, 2013, 8:08 AM

+1...can't see it being coolharvey...think his xc season got affected by all the marathon training he did. Will have to be a spez factory team mate....Wells...thejap??? who knows

Don't think coolharvey or Yamamoto will be his team mate..will be very interesting to see as Sauser wants his name to go down in history as the rider with the most epic wins, so he needs a partner that will be able to keep up with him :thumbup: The only one I can see is Wells to fill those big shoes..

rouxtjie

Nov 1, 2013, 8:14 AM

Don't think coolharvey or Yamamoto will be his team mate..will be very interesting to see as Sauser wants his name to go down in history as the rider with the most epic wins, so he needs a partner that will be able to keep up with him :thumbup: The only one I can see is Wells to fill those big shoes..

Yea, Suzie wants that title...he is so close he can taste it. I don't know if Wells can keep up though. Tough situation and like you said, he would like a partner that is up to the task. Maybe they will have to look outside the spez stable.

Would like to see him and maybe lekata, don't think it will happen though

Brian Fantana

Nov 1, 2013, 8:17 AM

I hear that Alban Lakata is targeting the Epic as his major goal next year. It could be interesting since Marathon World Champs and TransAlps used to be his major goals in previous years. They also had a bit of bad luck with his teammate colliding with that antelope this year.

SwissVan

Nov 1, 2013, 8:19 AM

Sauser just did the Brasil ride with Yamamoto....

Jacques Viljoen

Nov 1, 2013, 8:29 AM

Maybe they will have to look outside the spez stable.

:thumbup:

Mackie

Nov 1, 2013, 1:08 PM

Sauser and Evans.........

rouxtjie

Nov 1, 2013, 1:14 PM

Swaerie, as much as I would love to see that, I just can't see it happening.

flyluis

Nov 1, 2013, 1:22 PM

Is knox still with spez? Mmmm......

rouxtjie

Nov 1, 2013, 1:27 PM

Is knox still with spez? Mmmm......

I dont think he is anymore...don't know for sure though.

b-rad

Nov 1, 2013, 1:29 PM

Cadel??!

Luke Williams

Nov 5, 2013, 5:40 PM

Kevin

Mr X

Nov 5, 2013, 6:11 PM

:offtopic:

It would be cool if mtb stage racing could become more individualistic or more like road cycling team based. It would be nice to see Sauser destroy all opposition like this year in the Attakwas where he won with a massive gap, a new course record, despite multiple punctures and mechanicals.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment