Events

Trans Baviaans Event 1 race report

By Press Office · 12 comments

The Trans Baviaans has grown in popularity over the last 12 years, so much so that the entries for the event sold out within 8 hours. This caused quite a stir (or is that excitement) in the EcoBound camp (Organisers of this event), who made the decision to host a second race on the following weekend to give more riders the opportunity to ride and experience this exclusive, limited entry event.

On the morning of race day, the clear Willowmore skies promised the riders ideal conditions. A promised kept with an added bonus of a tailwind all the way to Checkpoint 2 (Geelhoutbos) 104km into the race.

By the time the top teams reached the first of numerous challenging climbs, the Baviaansback, their races faces were on and the race pace continued over The Fangs and the infamous Mother Of all Climbs.

The leading bunch was formed, one of them being a mixed team (Sasol Racing). The game was on with teams separated by just a couple of minutes at each Checkpoint. All teams are required to Check-in at strategically placed Checkpoints on route. This is not just for control, but gives the riders the opportunity to have a rest and something to eat.

ccs-62657-0-41113500-1439908650.jpg

Part of the event dynamic is that the route is not marked. Each team is provided with a map to navigate their way through the Baviaans Kloof (SA’s largest wilderness area and now a heritage site). This requires riders to stay mentally sharp at all times, a challenge in its own for 230kms. Team Sporadies Normardies, the front runners for most of the way, took a wrong turn in the last 20km and lost their lead, still happily finishing with smiles on their faces, proving that just finishing an event like this makes them winners. Team Jeep took the win in a time of 8:29:58, almost breaking the former record.

ccs-62657-0-04650300-1439908651.jpg

Top 10 Teams:

Team Jeep
Powerbar 1
Aerocare -Proper Con
Sasol Racing
Sponsor Yourself
Atlas Copco Team 1
Four Brothers
Solar Wise
Demicon / Rocky Mounta
Bianchi

ccs-62657-0-36261700-1439908651.jpg

The last team Wild Rovers finished as the sun was rising over Jeffrey’s Bay, with a few hours to spare before the cut-off of 24 hours. These are the real heroes of the event, finishing in a time of 20:50:49.

As one of South Africa’s premier mountain biking events, this MTB
marathon creates the perfect combination of extremely challenging cycling amongst spectacular scenery through exquisite mountain ranges, right into the heart of the magnificent Baviaanskloof, all in a team format with a 24hour grueling cut off time.

ccs-62657-0-76379300-1439908650.jpg

The organisers are happy to report that there were no major casualties during the first event and they wish all the riders braving the mighty Baviaanskloof good luck for next weekend.

Related posts

Comments

Mongoose!

Aug 18, 2015, 3:00 PM

Awesome event!!!

Prince Albert Cycles

Aug 18, 2015, 3:47 PM

My first one and enjoyed it . Very well organized and great spirit amongst the riders . Could have done without the jeep and single track in the last 20 Kms but I suppose that just tiredness talking .

TheJ

Aug 18, 2015, 5:55 PM

No.8 done and dusted. Could have gone better. Flu for 3 weeks leading up to the race with ZERO time in the saddle. Just phlegm and snot, even in the days up to the race. Woke up with sore throat but lined up on the start. Finished just on 14 hours, a few hours slower than previous best time but with only 3 light indoor sessions 3 days before the race, it was always going to be tough. Enjoyed it though, 2 more and my 2nd 5 year shield is done :)

CleatsnCleavage

Aug 18, 2015, 9:02 PM

Does anyone know if the people who crossed the line in almost 21 hours, actually stopped and slept somewhere....surely???

RatherBeMTB

Aug 18, 2015, 9:11 PM

Nice work Team Jeep on a great win!! Thoroughly deserved!

Joe Low

Aug 19, 2015, 6:11 AM

Does anyone know if the people who crossed the line in almost 21 hours, actually stopped and slept somewhere....surely???

No, and don't call me Shirley.

C&C, I like you and especially that hit you had with the Music Factory - Everybody Dance Now.

My first TB in 2012, which was also my first MTB event, took me and my partner 21 hours.  We didn't sleep, though some of the stops got to 45-50 mins.  It was the river crossings year

I'm quite proud (surprised / amazed) to have done it and the time is immaterial.  In fact because it took us so long I'm even more proud to have done it.

So, to this year's 21 hour finishers - bloody well done!

Epic Rookie

Aug 19, 2015, 7:00 AM

Great event and couldn't be happier to have completed my first TB.

Only downside was the lack of Food available for Support Crew, which they mentioned would be at CP5 for Support to purchase but only coffee was available.

Not too sure if anyone else had this issue or perhaps it just ran out?

TheJ

Aug 19, 2015, 7:17 AM

Only downside was the lack of Food available for Support Crew, which they mentioned would be at CP5 for Support to purchase but only coffee was available.

CP5, at Komdomo. There was a tent with a table in with a mountain of food. Cokes and Sprites so think it was for the spectators to buy.

Smurfy

Aug 20, 2015, 2:00 PM

There was enough food to buy at CP5. Did back up last week. Gonna ride it this week and eat at the riders table., Awesome spread. :devil:  :devil: :devil:  

Nancy Drew

Aug 27, 2015, 8:20 AM

This would imply that everybody has exactly the same cycling ability and rides at the same speed..... except they don't all finish at the same time, so logically they must've stopped for a nap en route.

Suddenly it all makes sense to me, all those thousands of cyclists I've seen sleeping on the side of the road going up Chappies in the Argus are actually the 6-7 hour finishers.

Big ups to anyone that finishes this event. It's tough, both physically and mentally. Possibly even more so for the slower riders that have to fight sleep in the early hours of the morning and into the sunrise.

Yours sincerely

Proud 21 hour finisher

dirtypot

Aug 27, 2015, 8:29 AM

This ride is making it's way onto my list of 'must do' events.

Looks like a fun challenge!

Smurfy

Aug 27, 2015, 8:41 AM

Did the second race. Twisted my right knee leaving Bergplaas. :cursing: . Not fun doing NEVER ENDER and the last 27km. Did back up the first race and my mates had an awesome tail wind and half the DARN MUD the last 27km. We had a haed wind and more mud. :eek:  :oops: I can STATE that there was a 1000% more better vibe with the 1st race compaired to the 2nd one. A great time was had by the 3 DAISIES TEAMS, we all finished without any bike mechanicals. Felt sory for the Lady from CHOC @CP2 that broke her Giant carbon XTC. It cracked in its chops. She was devastated. Her riding partner had to continue on his own. :blush: . Seems that she now has an issue with Giant regarding the replacement....

Well done the ECOBOND for an awesome event, hope those that were injured recover soon.

Gonna do it next year again.  :clap:  :w00t:

Add a comment

You must log in to comment