Events

Two Riders Out Of Absa Cape Epic Due To Doping

· By Press Office · 99 comments

Two South African mountain bikers are out of the Absa Cape Epic after failing anti-doping tests. One of the riders has been provisionally suspended by the South African Institute for Drug-Free Sport (SAIDS) and in the meantime is not eligible to take part in any races sanctioned by the International Cycling Union (UCI) – including the Cape Epic. His case is currently being reviewed by SAIDS.

ccs-2-0-35939500-1394805806.jpg

SAIDS confirmed this week that the second rider was given a three-month suspension for what Cycling South Africa described last year as an “adverse analytical finding in an in-competition test” in May, 2013.

SAIDS has not yet released the names of the riders, but neither of them are professionals.

Last year the Cape Epic became the first race in world cycling to apply a “zero tolerance” approach to doping by imposing a life ban on any rider found guilty of illegal use of performance-enhancing drugs. The ban applies to riders who have been sanctioned for an offence taking place after January 1, 2013.

Both riders have been notified by the Cape Epic that they will not be allowed to take up their 2014 Cape Epic entries.

“I don’t care whether a rider has been banned for three months or three years, if you cheat then we don’t have time for you – even if you are not earning a living from cycling, as is the case with these riders,” said Cape Epic founder Kevin Vermaak. “This is a new era in cycling, things are changing and I don’t want to entertain anybody who still feels the need to dope.”

When the Epic’s “zero tolerance” approach was announced in December 2012, Vermaak explained that: “We’ve chosen not to apply this retrospectively because we believe that would be naive. Cycling has a dark past. Many riders from this previous era have rediscovered the joy of cycling as mountain bikers and participate in the Absa Cape Epic as their expression of riding clean.

“Previous offenders, who have served their suspension term, may ride future Absa Cape Epics. We want to be part of the new era of cleaner cycling, and therefore only future offenders will receive the lifetime bans,” he said at the time.

Besides the Epic’s zero tolerance initiative, the International Cycling Union (UCI) has launched an ambitious independent commission to investigate cycling’s doping past. This will include allegations of mismanagement of anti-doping cases by the governing body, the UCI.

The commission was a key element in the manifesto of Brian Cookson, the former British Cycling head who was elected UCI president in late September. Within hours of taking office Cookson had sent investigators to the UCI’s Swiss offices to secure computers and documents for the commission.

SAIDS and local cycling authorities have in recent years developed “biological passports” for cyclists, which screen blood and urine tests over a period of time to check for unusual activity. This has widely been hailed as an effective way of curbing the use of drugs in sport.

Related posts

Comments

Andrew Hall

Mar 14, 2014, 1:42 PM

That's crazy, non pros as well. Anyone know who they are and how they got bust?

Guest Smimby

Mar 14, 2014, 1:54 PM

So a "funrider" can now be busted for taking cough syrup?....how do a funrider apply for exemption when they are using something that the doctor ordered?

TwinDiesel

Mar 14, 2014, 2:00 PM

Bet those semi-pro riders without a sponsor looking for rides.

davem

Mar 14, 2014, 2:00 PM

I am all for a life time ban for the stuff you have to inject, take deliberately.

The guy who got three months was probably for dagga or hexan...(sp?) which can be ingested purely accidently. The SAIDS sanction should be enough. Not being completely vigilant is not the same as cheating.

A three month or less SAIDS sanction probably indicates it was a mistake rather than a deliberate cheat.

Sounds like the line is drawn in the wrong place.

babse

Mar 14, 2014, 2:02 PM

how were they caught? are fun riders even tested?

90 Inch

Mar 14, 2014, 2:07 PM

Random testing at many events, one also does not need to be a Pro to get onto the podium, especially where separate age cats are catered for.

Meezo

Mar 14, 2014, 2:17 PM

i'll ride in their entries let me know!

Thanks

Meezo

Eldron

Mar 14, 2014, 2:20 PM

Hmmmm - more info will be interesting...

NotSoBigBen

Mar 14, 2014, 2:20 PM

They had no problem releasing our very own MTBBAAISAAIKLIST's name so what's special about these 2?

Meezo

Mar 14, 2014, 2:22 PM

They had no problem releasing our very own MTBBAAISAAIKLIST's name so what's special about these 2?

he just got a lot of profile views ^_^

Prince

Mar 14, 2014, 2:27 PM

Here we go again!

Caerus

Mar 14, 2014, 2:28 PM

What did I miss? :whistling:
NotSoBigBen

Mar 14, 2014, 2:34 PM

Frikkin noobies :whistling:

SwissVan

Mar 14, 2014, 2:50 PM

There is no line, your either did or did not.

Same rules must be applied to all, even if you are plonking at the back.

Anti doping is not only about stopping cheating, it (should) be about protecting the health of riders.

I like what KV says hear, someone buy him a beer from me

“I don’t care whether a rider has been banned for three months or three years, if you cheat then we don’t have time for you - even if you are not earning a living from cycling, as is the case with these riders,” said Cape Epic founder Kevin Vermaak. “This is a new era in cycling, things are changing and I don’t want to entertain anybody who still feels the need to dope.”

DJR

Mar 14, 2014, 2:56 PM

I say good for catching and banning them.

(Note to self: Talk to GP about letter re. Voltaren for dickie right hip, right knee, right shoulder, whole back, left hand and all manner of high mileage niggles) ;)

Barend de Arend

Mar 14, 2014, 2:58 PM

So a "funrider" can now be busted for taking cough syrup?....how do a funrider apply for exemption when they are using something that the doctor ordered?

Read the TUE rules. Speak to your doctor when you get a prescription.

TUE will not be automatically granted. If you are too sick to ride without the syrup, maybe you shouldn't ride.

FBSP

Mar 14, 2014, 3:40 PM

If you are competing in an event it's your responsibility to know the WADA banned substances. Don't plead nativity this is 2014 and with cycling's doping history be sure of what you are given is not a PED...simple really. If you are stupid...don't do races. If you're a cheat you will get caught.

heini

Mar 14, 2014, 3:48 PM

i'll ride in their entries let me know!

Thanks

Meezo

Meezo you need a partner?

Lucky Luke.

Mar 14, 2014, 4:06 PM

Who are we talking about? Anything else is off topic.

jcza

Mar 14, 2014, 4:30 PM

Download the app to check meds

Read & understand the rules for TUE

IMO they should test all podium finishers in Elites and winners in other categories and random other podium finishers.

Stretch

Mar 14, 2014, 4:40 PM

Mtbbaiskelist (sp) got busted after last years epic. He admitted to taking anabolics months before when he was a weight lifter. He was a back marker but got quite a nasty fine and ban.. Whatever happened with that?

GLuvsMtb

Mar 14, 2014, 4:59 PM

Let me know when the names are out. Until then its a phantom bust.

Lefty V

Mar 14, 2014, 5:37 PM

I clearly have less appreciation for these things since i was too busy worrying about having fun on my mtb instead of taking notice of doping...had to google things like WADA, TUE (which I took to be the day on which you were allowed to dope) and PED since it occured to me that I have never had any qualms about taking meds like pseudoephedrine to clear up my chronic sinus and phlegm and to stop it from turning into an ear infection... never knew it but I must be both stupid and and evil cheat....

KidCharlemagne

Mar 14, 2014, 5:55 PM

If you are competing in an event it's your responsibility to know the WADA banned substances. Don't plead nativity this is 2014 and with cycling's doping history be sure of what you are given is not a PED...simple really. If you are stupid...don't do races. If you're a cheat you will get caught.

I think you mean, "Don't plead naiveté" Otherwise we bringing the birth of Christ into all this.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment