Events

Unique Scottburgh MTB vibe a major draw card for stalwart

· By Press Office · 0 comments

Amongst the droves of passionate mountain bikers that return to the iconic South Coast town of Scottburgh every August to enjoy the local trails that the popular Sappi Scottburgh MTB Race on Sunday, 14 August has to offer, Ballito stalwart Russell White will be present again and he is as eager to ride as he is to enjoy a holiday weekend away.

ccs-62657-0-28527100-1470666295.jpgThe Sappi Scottburgh MTB Race provides riders with a unique experience and that is something that attracts riders like North Coast stalwart Russell White who will be back for another crack when the race gets underway on Sunday, 14 August. Supplied/ Gameplan Media

“I know that it isn’t that far from Ballito to Scottburgh but it really feels like you are riding in a different province!” the father of pro rider Tyronne White said.

“It’s a really different experience and Scottburgh is a completely unique race which is a large reason why we like to get away for the weekend and take part in the race every year.

“I still ride as competitively as possible although I am getting a bit old but the event has a very distinct laid-back attitude which is important in attracting riders of all different abilities.”

Riders will be congregating on the South Coast to take on the Scottburgh MTB Challenge’s well-maintained trails with the routes providing a quality test for the best to the most inexperienced riders.

“The course is very ridable which is great but for the guys at the front of the race there are still a number of challenges.

“Striking the balance between technical and manageable can be difficult but Scottburgh seems to have found a great median – the course is as tough as you make it for yourself.

“Especially with such a chilled environment and attitude the race still maintains a competitive edge for those that want to test themselves but it doesn’t detract from the family vibe that surrounds the event,” added White.

The pleasant South Coast winter weather attracts many inland visitors during the colder months and White suggests that the Scottburgh MTB Challenge is the perfect excuse to get down the sea for a weekend away.

“I think I have done about five Scottburgh races and we try and make a weekend of it every year. A whole bunch of us book into the hotel and have a great weekend in different surroundings.

“There is such a great feeling around the race with everyone hanging around on the Scottburgh main beach afterwards and enjoying having a bike race that is so unique in that if finishes right on the beach!” he commented.

With five editions under his belt, White, whose son Tyronne won the race in 2014, has ridden races all around the country across varying terrains but appreciates the fact that there are so many good races around KwaZulu-Natal, Scottburgh included.

“If you enjoy riding in a race you are going to make an effort to continue doing it and that is my attitude towards Scottburgh. It’s such a great race that has a little bit of everything for all the riders.

“It’s one that we tick off the calendar every year now and I am excited to get back down there this year and give it another crack,” White stated expectantly.

The 2016 Sappi Scottburgh MTB Race is third and ‘sea’ leg of the inaugural South Coast MTB Series and takes place on Sunday 14 August. More information can be found at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Scottburgh-Mtb-Race/221420711386243.

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment