Events

White claims first ROAG Series race win at the Sugar Rush

· By Press Office · 0 comments

Thule’s Tyronne White managed to get one over good friend and occasional team-mate Andrew Hill and up-and-coming junior Julian Jessop during the 45km Compendium Sugar Rush Classic marathon on Sunday to claim his maiden win in the 2015 Quattro ROAG Series.

White’s entry to the race came on the Sunday following a slip up by him and it was never his intention to enter on the day but once he had his entry in and was checked in the top batch the race was on.

ccs-62657-0-64025100-1429603384.jpgThe 2015 Compendium Sugar Rush Classic was the second race on the 2015 Quattro ROAG Series calendar and it was north coast resident and Thule rider Tyronne White who finally got his name on the ROAG Series scoreboard with his first win in the 45km Classic on Sunday. // Photo credit: Gavin Ryan/ Quick Pix.

“It was a mistake that I entered on the day to be honest,” White said. “I really thought that I had already entered but I was lucky that I sorted it out and was able to get myself into the A Batch because you are supposed to start in C Batch if you enter on the day!”

For the north coast resident the Sugar Rush was a great way to prepare for the 2015 Old Mutual joberg2c which starts next week and for him and his joberg2c partner Andrew Hill it was the ideal way to put some fine tuning on their combination as they used the race as dress rehearsal for the multistage race next week.

“The joberg2c is my main focus at the moment and so I wanted to go out there and ride as hard as I could and it was a great session for me and for Andrew as we used it as a sort of preparation race but we knew that we were racing each other so we took turns working on the front and blocking the attacks from Julian and Brendon.

“Andrew took up a lot of the work on the front and after my break so he gave me enough time to get my breath back and made for an exciting final sprint where I managed to pip him and Julian at the line!

“It was a really worthwhile session so close to joberg2c and it was also a great distance to ride because it didn’t take too much out of me and even though I really pushed hard throughout the race my body wasn’t feeling too bad after the race,” he explained.

It was a first ever Quattro ROAG Series race win for White who had to hold off three-time ROAG Series winner Andrew Hill and racing against his riding partner was something that was always going to be difficult but White was happy with the way things panned out on the exciting layout.

ccs-62657-0-07767500-1429603607.jpgWith a win under her belt already during the 2015 Quattro ROAG Series Jowetts Cycles Natalie Bergstrom produced another impressive ride to claim the spoils in the women’s race at the 2015 Compendium Sugar Rush Classic on the north coast on Sunday. // Photo credit: Gavin Ryan/ Quick Pix.

“It is great to get a first win on the ROAG Series, Andrew has dominated the series for a while so hopefully this win will stand me in good stead going forward into the rest of the series.

“Going up against him is something that I am used to but it was strange in a way because we were preparing for next week but we were also racing against each other.

“I am just really happy that the hard work is paying off and hopefully I am peaking at the right time as we head into a busy period of racing,” White concluded.

It was the experienced Jowett’s Cycles ace Natalie Bergstrom who made it two wins from two races in the 2015 Quattro ROAG Series when she won the Elite Women’s race comfortably ahead of Tiffany Keep in second and Isabel Moolman in third place.

Julian Jessop once again impressed as the Elite Athlete Development Programme rider won the junior category comfortably but also ended the race in second place overall some fourteen minutes ahead of the second placed Kelvin Green.

The 2015 Quattro ROAG Series is a nine leg series that sees all of KZN’s top mountain bikers doing battle for the coveted title and the winner’s cheque of R22 000 for both the male and female overall winners. More information can be found at www.roagseries.co.za.

SUMMARY OF RESULTS – COMPENDIUM SUGAR RUSH CLASSIC

45km Classic

Overall

1.Tyronne White 01:37.55

2.Julian Jessop 01:37.56

3.Andrew Hill 01:37.57

4.Ryan Piercey 01:42.04

5.Warren Price 01:42.29

6.Derrin Smith 01:43.54

7.Brendon Davids 01:44.13

8.Jedson Tooms 01:44.29

9.Trevor Rowe 01:45.43

10.Bradley Rowlett 01:47.59

Women

1.Natalie Bergstrom 01:59.42

2.Tiffany Keep 02:03.57

3.Isabel Moolman 02:06.22

4.Chriestie-Leigh Hearder 02:08.48

5.Julienn Hampson 02:10.13

25km Race

Overall

1.Devon Baird 01:02.44

2.Mitchel Potgieter 01:07.08

3.Reece McCallum 01:07.11

4.Callum Osborne 01:07.26

5.Travis Stedman 01:07.31

Women

1.Sarah Ryan 01:13.11

2.Keren Warlock 01:17.14

3.Paige Sanders 01:18.07

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment