Events

Youngest Philogene brother pips Minnaar at the post in DHI Cup

· By Press Office · 15 comments

St. Ives Lodge and Restaurant on the Midlands Meander shared its MTB Park and Trails with the 2016 KZNMTB Provincial Downhill Series – presented by Greg Minnaar Cycles on Sunday 21 February. The most memorable moment of the day was for Junior Christopher Philogene, when he beat the time set by multiple World Champion Greg Minnaar and took the overall men’s title.

ccs-62657-0-80439100-1456084050.jpgWorld Downhill hero Greg Minnaar joined in for the first run at St. Ives MTB Park for the first round of the 2016 KZNMTB Provincial DHI Series – presented by Greg Minnaar Cycles on Sunday 21 February. Photo: supplied.

The scorching KwaZulu-Natal sun pierced through the trees and tents on the day, enough to leave a few pink patches on spectators, but the crisp mountain breeze made it much more bearable for the riders. Riders had to complete two runs down the hill side with the fastest run determining their result.

Only able to do one run before catching a flight, local and international Downhill hero, Greg Minnaar started off the day with a difficult-to-match time of 01:32.95. The first few runs after Minnaar weren’t close enough to be a worry, although the super competitive Vets Men category provided the always-expected entertainment as they battled each other for the top position.

Then the crowd went silent, but the silence soon changed to cheers of excitement when youngest Philogene brother, Christopher, beat Minnaar’s time at a whopping 01:29.45 in his first run. “Today started off very good,” said Philogene. “The weather in the morning was overcast, the track was tacky until the first run it got a bit dry,” he added.

ccs-62657-0-98827700-1456084044.jpg17-year-old Christopher Philogene (centre) wowed the crowds when he came home with the fastest Junior time, beating 3rd placed Cullen McMaster (left) and second placed Sharjah Jonsson (right), as well as claiming the overall rider time of the day at the first round of the 2016 KZNMTB Provincial DHI Series – presented by Greg Minnaar Cycles at St. Ives on Sunday 21 February. Photo: supplied

Philogene said that he was “stoked” when he came across the finish line. “I found out that I beat Greg (Minnaar) even though I don’t know if he was trying his hardest but I was stoked,” he said.

The 17-year-old had only great things to say about the venue: “St. Ives is awesome, there’s a ‘lekker’ view of the track and a great vibe here, especially and the Greg Minnaar Cycles tent and the music playing, and the BOS energy drinks was all so nice. I’m really looking forward to the next one at Giba Gorge as well – it’s my favourite track.”

Although the Elite Men gave a solid effort for both runs, Philogene managed to hold onto the hotseat for the rest of the day, pipping Elite Men’s Tiaan Odendaal.

Sub Vets Men winner, Craig Paul said: “Yesterday, the Enduro was terrible for me – I just wasn’t fit enough so I puzzled a bit and I was destroyed by the cross-country riders.”

Today went much better for Paul. “It was great to win my category, but I still got smoked by the kids,” he said. In the same breath, he mentioned how impressed he was at the level of riding and how its been improving. “There’s a group of guys out there every weekend pushing each other, and it shows in the results now. They’re all cracking top tens and top fives, and its really good to see,” he said.

Paul was happy with the turnout over the weekend as well. “With 87 riders in the Downhill and 124 in the Enduro, its awesome to see both disciplines growing,” he said.

Kathryn Fourie, who won the Sub Vets Women category, had made a major recovery overnight as she had fallen ill and could not take part in the Enduro the day before. “It went pretty good,” she said.

“Its different hitting it at race pace because the course is short but its quite intense and you’ve got to learn the corners quite well, and it changes quite a lot as time goes on,” she added. Fourie also received her South African colours for her performance in the World Masters Downhill Championships last year.

Fourie had practiced the course the week before. “I even practiced the jump that I did my AC joint on last time – that was my big nemesis and I never finished my run last year. It went really well. At a fast pace the open corners were more difficult so that was definitely something we had to control during our race runs. In the end I got two almost identical times. I don’t think I could have gone any faster to be honest, but I’m just really happy I didn’t end up in the hospital,” she laughed.

The laughter and camaraderie among the downhill riding community echoed through the midlands forest all the way from the top of the hill to the finish line, throughout each and every age group. Nipper Boys winner Caleb Archer, said: “I love downhill racing. My favourite downhill track is Cascades. Today’s race was very nice, and fun, and cool, but mostly fast.

Round two of the 2016 KZNMTB Provincial DHI Series – presented by Greg Minnaar Cycles takes place at Giba Gorge MTB Park (near Pinetown) on Sunday 27 March.

Entries are open and close on Wednesday 23 March 2016. (http://www.roag.co.za/eventinfo.aspx?EventID=1727). For any further details, please visit www.kznmtb.co.za.

For more information, contact Rebecca van der Linde info@kznmtb.co.za.

Full results will be available soon at www.elitetiming.co.za

Summary of Results – KZNMTB Provincial DOWNHILL Series #1 – 21 February 2016

Senior Men
1.Tiaan Odendaal 01:30.70
2.Jonathan Philogene 01:31.85
3.Samuel Bull 01:32.80

Senior Women
1.Kim Westbrook 02:04.80
2.Tammy Sturrock 02:16.82
3.Lauren Hoyer 02:25.70

Junior Men
1.Christopher Philogene 01:29.45
2.Sharjah Jonsson 01:36.99
3.Cullen McMaster 01:37.69

Youth Men
1.Jason Williams 01:36.95
2.Shaun Smale 01:44.16
3.Kayle Seaward 15:47

Sub Junior Men
1.Kyle Brand 02:05.92

Sub Junior Women
1.Sabine Thies 02:04.19

Sprog Boys
1.Keagan Brand 02:18.20

Sub Veteran Men
1.Craig Paul 01:39.57
2.Cyril Spence 01:40.74
3.Mark Millar 01:43.23

Sub Veteran Women
1.Kathryn Fourie 02:01.51
2.Joanne Hicks 02:11.46
3.Tamryn Taylor 02:22.93

Veteran Men
1.Craig Seawood 01:47.09
2.Grant Dekker 01:50.41
3.Leigh Hand 01:54.59

Master Men
1.Peter Hoyer 01:26.97

Nipper Boys
1.Caleb Archer 03:42.00

Comments

Hairy

Feb 21, 2016, 8:52 PM

Great to hear the young blood rider's are working hard and growing. ....and giving the ou toppies a bit of a run for their money.

Can only mean good things for the future of th in S.A.

Hairy

Feb 21, 2016, 8:52 PM

Future of dh in S.A.

Fr33rider

Feb 22, 2016, 4:14 AM

2e6b19d18c604552620c702fdf856a61.jpg

I thought Greg was giving the locals a chance. It would be poor form obliterating the opposition in an event that you sponsored...

Ray J

Feb 22, 2016, 5:00 AM

Awesome to see so many riders! Well done guys and gals :)

fiona@philogene.co.za

Feb 22, 2016, 5:31 AM

Greg is such an inspiration to the riders.  He took the time out of his busy schedule to race.  

2e6b19d18c604552620c702fdf856a61.jpg

I thought Greg was giving the locals a chance. It would be poor form obliterating the opposition in an event that you sponsored...

Grebel

Feb 22, 2016, 6:24 AM

Well done 2Bros! Great result  :thumbup:

Super_mil

Feb 22, 2016, 6:43 AM

Such a great weekend of riding! Thanks to all of those people who put the time and effort in to make it happen  :thumbup:

Venue was great, tracks were great, timing was great etc, etc

The DH was absolutely awesome to watch (after my run) and those top 5 are on another level!

Good times!

Ryanpmb

Feb 22, 2016, 7:15 AM

You've got the Senior Men's names mixed up... 

Or KZN MTB did anyway, assuming this a copy and paste article...

rock

Feb 22, 2016, 7:39 AM

This just in, Minnaar sacked by the Syndicate. To ride out his contract as Peaty's beer assistant.

Spoke101

Feb 22, 2016, 7:54 AM

You've got the Senior Men's names mixed up... 

Or KZN MTB did anyway, assuming this a copy and paste article...

Don't see the error, Christopher Philogene is a Junior.

Ryanpmb

Feb 22, 2016, 9:26 AM

Don't see the error, Christopher Philogene is a Junior.

Tiaans time. It was listed as Christophers 1:29.45 at first (still like this on the KZN MTB page where the article was copied from). It's been amended here since my comment.

Edit: I can see the confusion - I was referring to times against the names, not meaning Tiaans name was incorrect and should be Christopher  :thumbup: .

Nick

Feb 22, 2016, 10:03 AM

I changed the time on the results to reflect that attached by Fr33rider. I forgot to post a comment informing you of the update to avoided this confusion, sorry.

nigelhicks

Feb 22, 2016, 12:06 PM

@Ryanmtb - hahahaha yip that is a bugger up on the media's part ... OOPS.  

for final results click here - http://www.elitetiming.co.za/Results/2016Results/tabid/124/Default.aspx

KingTJ

Feb 22, 2016, 6:51 PM

Never been so bummed in missing an event...just to ride with the legend would have been a highlight in my none featuring mtb career.... what a way to kick off the kzn season....im sure its going to be a cracker

nigelhicks

Feb 22, 2016, 7:08 PM

Actually. All the elites can suck it ... because according to the media release. Peter Hoyer in MASTER men had the best time. ... 1:26.97 .... WOW. That is amazing for a 55 year old ballies who started racing 5 years ago.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment