Events

Glen Gore to show 13 year-old daughter the ropes

· By Press Office · 5 comments

Well-known triathlete and owner of Triathlon Plus SA magazine, Glen Gore, will participate in this year’s Discovery World Triathlon Cape Town with his 13 year old daughter, Tegan. The event, which takes place on 25 and 26 April, will be hosted at the V& A Waterfront in Cape Town, making it the second time that it is held on African soil.

Gore (45), who lives in Umhlanga Rocks, will be covering the event for Triathlon Plus SA. He has been participating in triathlon for more than 29 years with Tegan learning the ropes from her dad over the past three to four years. Both favour the swim, followed by the run leg of the race.

ccs-62657-0-49964500-1429077193.jpg

Says Glen, who also coaches triathletes and organises events: “I’ve lost count of the number of triathlons I’ve participated in. Tegan has probably done around ten. When you swim, bike and run, there’s not much time for anything else – triathlon is the three greatest Olympic sports rolled into one winner.”

Gore has been a multiple South African and African Elite Champion over short distance, Olympic distance and long distance with national colours in triathlon, duathlon, swimming and surf lifesaving. Tegan, who is in grade eight, has won the KwaZulu-Natal junior triathlon title for two years in a row.

Gore’s ambitions for 2015 is to be healthy and active. Tegan would like to reach a new level in her triathlon career. “I want to become better and faster,” she adds. “Both my dad and current world triathlon champion Gwen Jorgensen really inspire me.”

One hundred and thirty elite triathletes from 80 countries will participate in this year’s Discovery World Triathlon Cape Town, with the finish at the brand new Green Point Athletics Stadium. This will be the fourth event in the ten city tour, which finishes in Chicago later this year.

Participants have the option to enter either the Sprint or Olympic distance and para-triathletes (PT2 – PT5) can enter the Sprint event. Team relays for both distances are also on the schedule and you can participate from the age of 11. The Sprint distance includes a 500m swim, a 20km cycle and a 5km run. The Olympic distance includes a 1 500m swim, a 40km cycle and a 10km run. The minimum age for the Olympic individual is 18 and for teams, 16. Schools are also welcome to enter teams in this special category.

Join the action at the V & A Waterfront. For route information or to enter go to: http://www.capetown.triathlon.org/enter/.

Comments

ScottCM

Apr 15, 2015, 6:10 AM

Looking forward to hearing the Gore name again for many a decade to come.

Long Wheel Base

Apr 15, 2015, 6:15 AM

I remember as a lightie when my Dad was doing triathlons we used to watch Glen and Raynard battle it out. You could always tell who was Glen in the water because of his kick splash. The highest splash was his. That oke had a monster kick on him.

IceCreamMan

Apr 15, 2015, 6:26 AM

Thought there was an age limit for Tri's?

Shebeen

Apr 15, 2015, 8:27 AM

Thought there was an age limit for Tri's?

is 45 too old? ;-)

IceCreamMan

Apr 15, 2015, 9:09 AM

is 45 too old? ;-)

Checked the rules, as individual athlete the age limit is 16, as a member of a team its 12. Nice one, hope my lil lad gets into Tri's one day too.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment