Events

Boasson Hagen “The Boss” of Dauphine stage 1

Supplied by Team Dimension Data.

· By Press Office · 0 comments

Edvald Boasson Hagen sprinted to a fantastic victory on stage 1 of the Criterium du Dauphine for Team Dimension Data, beating Philippe Gilbert (Deceunick-Quickstep) and Wout Van Aert (Team Jumbo Visma) into the minor placings.

ccs-62657-0-33328900-1560102784.jpg

The Criterium du Dauphine got underway with a short but challenging 142km stage between Aurilliac and Jussac. Team Dimension Data for Qhubeka started on a positive note, as Julien Vermote made it into the 6-rider break of the day.

Despite the 5 categorised climbs spread across the route, the sprint teams remained interested in today’s stage and kept the gap to the breakaway under control.

On the final climb of the stage, Deceuninck-Quickstep upped the pace and reduced the main group to just 60 riders, as the break splintered up the road. Boasson Hagen had to dig deep to stay with the group on the climb, but our Norwegian managed to do so as it peaked with just 18km to go.

Mitchelton-Scott then took up the chase and ensured the final 3 remaining breakaway riders were caught in the final kilometer. Boasson Hagen was able to benefit from the chase work of the other teams and found the strength to beat them all in the final sprint for the stage victory.

ccs-62657-0-25986200-1560102794.jpg

The stage win also secured the overall race leader’s yellow jersey as well as the green jersey, as the leader in the points competition for Boasson Hagen.

I am really happy with today’s win. It has been a while since I have won in the World Tour, so this is great win for me and for Team Dimension Data. I was really suffering on the climb, but I managed to stay there in the group while the best sprinters were dropped. That worked out really well for me. I had good speed in the sprint and am just really happy to have won and to take the yellow jersey, even if only for a few days.
Edvald Boasson Hagen

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment