Events

Cape Argus Pick n Pay Momentum Cycle Tour officially renamed the Cape Town Cycle Tour

· By Press Office · 30 comments

The Cape Argus Pick n Pay Momentum Cycle Tour was officially renamed the Cape Town Cycle Tour at a launch event held in downtown Cape Town this evening.

ccs-62657-0-76640700-1411499330.jpg

In recognition of the tour’s global status and international appeal, its organisers and owners – the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust (CTCTT) – in association with the three co-naming rights sponsors, Cape Argus, Pick n Pay and Momentum, introduced the name change and logo in celebration of the event’s iconic status and increasing global appeal.

Speaking at the event, Steve Hayward, Chairman of the CTCTT, took guests through the history of the tour saying: “The Cape Town Cycle Tour is Africa’s premier cycling event. It has grown from humble beginnings, attracting only a few hundred cyclists who participated in the first tour as a protest ride, to the worlds’ largest timed cycle race. The event has enjoyed a remarkable journey over the past 37 years, and the new name and logo revealed tonight is testament to our coming of age as we move into the next phase to becoming one of the worlds’ most desirable participation sporting events.”

From modest beginnings to iconic stature

Bill Mylrea and John Stegmann, two men who formed part of a group of people with a dream of a cycling South Africa, are credited with being the visionaries behind the first Cycle Tour. The inaugural event took place in 1978 and inspired the idea for a longer ride around the peninsula. Only 525 riders participated in the first race. Today, 35,000 local and international cyclists are drawn to the Mother City on the second Sunday in March each year to tackle the spectacular 109km route.

The event has been affectionately known as “The Argus” since its inception. Jermaine Craig, Editor of the Cape Argus newspaper which has sponsored the event since that first year, says: “When the Cape Argus was approached to use our name for the first ride, it spoke strongly to our paper’s civic activist roots. In our paper this year we reported that in Cape Town alone 300km of cycling lanes had been completed or were nearing completion, so the cycling ‘activists’ can certainly say it’s been a case of mission accomplished.

“From the start we have supported the race in its different guises and evolutions. We are proud to again pledge our support to the ‘Cape Town Cycle Tour’ and we remain passionate partners of this exciting event.”

Pick n Pay has been a key co-naming rights sponsor of the Cycle Tour for over two decades. “Pick n Pay, along with the Cape Argus, has enjoyed a long-standing partnership with the Cycle Tour. Together with the City of Cape Town and Momentum, we are now moving into a new partnership phase,” says Malcolm Mycroft, General Manager of Marketing at Pick n Pay. “We have always been incredibly proud to be part of this iconic international event, which not only promotes a healthy lifestyle, but also raises funds for many local charities.”

Earlier this year, Momentum acknowledged the upward trajectory of the Cycle Tour when it joined Cape Argus and Pick n Pay as a co-naming rights sponsor. Commenting on the new direction of the Cycle Tour, Danie van den Bergh, Head of Brand Momentum, says: “As the newest sponsor in the Cycle Tour family we could not be happier to be on board and part of the development of this iconic event. We were fortunate that all partners shared the vision to renew and rejuvenate the race as it moves forward into a new and exciting phase. The tour’s charitable component is important to us because we want to further fulfil our role as a good corporate citizen, and offer our clients a superior experience with every interaction with us. We are proud to share the passion of Momentum’s involvement, the beauty of Cape Town and the bounty of a South African welcome, with everyone.”

The start of a brand new cycle

The new brand incorporates traditional aspects that have always been associated with the event: iconic Table Mountain – the universal symbol for Cape Town – and a cyclist pedalling the route which wraps around the peninsula.

“We wanted to uphold the event’s rich heritage, while aligning with other international tours. The new Cape Town Cycle Tour name and logo is a logical next step to achieving our ambitious goal of positioning the tour globally as an iconic bucket list event and use our growing international appeal to attract a wider audience to not only participate, but also spend time in Cape Town and South Africa.” explains David Bellairs, Marketing, Sponsorship and Communications Director of the CTCTT.

The event’s iconic link to Cape Town was highlighted by Executive Mayor, Patricia De Lille, who shared her enthusiasm on the impact this will have on the future vision of the City. “We have a vision for the City of Cape Town to become the events capital of Africa. For years, people from across the country and the world have cycled through the city and seen everything that we have to offer. We are honoured that the Cycle Tour has now been named after the City and look forward to welcoming the participants for the Cape Town Cycle Tour.”

Riding for a cause

Over the years, the Cycle Tour has generated millions of Rands for cycling development and the charitable projects supported by its two main beneficiaries, the Pedal Power Association and the Rotary Club of Claremont, who collectively make up the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust. In 2012, charity entries were introduced for the first time with some 5,000 entries offered to various charity groups. “We want participants to use the event as a platform to give back to their communities, and the interest we receive each year from charities wishing to use the event as an opportunity to fundraise for worthy causes is overwhelmingly positive,” says Bellairs.

The Cape Town Cycle Tour will take place on Sunday, 8 March 2015 and entries open on Friday, 26 September 2014 at 2pm. The event’s name and logo change will not impact on the format of the 2015 route, and cyclists and spectators can continue to enjoy the world-class experience they have come to love over the past 37 years.

For regular updates on the Cycle Tour, find us on Facebook www.facebook.com/cycletour or on Twitter @CycleTour_SA. For more information on the Cycle Tour, visit www.cycletour.co.za.

Related posts

Comments

Nil

Sep 23, 2014, 7:18 PM

:mellow:

paul_ct

Sep 23, 2014, 7:30 PM

... and we can continue to affectionately call it the Argus?[emoji6]

milky4130

Sep 23, 2014, 7:33 PM

#CTCT 2015

Harryn

Sep 23, 2014, 7:42 PM

I wonder whats really behind this decision - I am suspicious of the spin doctoring.

Why on earth would they re-brand a race name which is internationally iconic?

You just can't say: "hey mom, I did the Cape Town in 3.01!"

Frankly, it makes me wonder as to how much of the name change is attributable to the decline of Independent Newspapers, who are busy with a massive retrenchment excercise, making more than 10% of their staff redundant in one fell swoop. One has to wonder if the Argus just can no longer shell out for the naming rights.

This might also go some way to explaining the ludicrous entry fee.

Capricorn

Sep 23, 2014, 7:53 PM

i don't think its the name as much as the race itself that's iconic. Changing the name wont dilute the experience one bit. Later generations wont even know what 'the argus' means anyway. They'll use whatever catchy nickname sticks between now and then. The tour, the cape tour. etc whatevs.

Harryn: if they can't afford the naming rights, then why would they still feature as one of the three big headline sponsors? I think its more a case of the city fathers muscling in on the action to push Brand Cape Town. its all there in that quote from Aunty Patricia..

“We have a vision for the City of Cape Town to become the events capital of Africa. For years, people from across the country and the world have cycled through the city and seen everything that we have to offer. We are honoured that the Cycle Tour has now been named after the City and look forward to welcoming the participants for the Cape Town Cycle Tour.”
Donovan Le Cok

Sep 23, 2014, 8:08 PM

Was this the "big exciting announcement" they have been going on about?

Loose cog

Sep 23, 2014, 8:51 PM

No big deal, The Star became the 94.7!

LeTurbo

Sep 23, 2014, 8:52 PM

Does this mean we won't get another pointless Momentum I-don't-fit-in-the-cage water bottle in the goodie bag? 

Or Will it actually be called The Cape Argus Pick n Pay Momentum Cape Town Cycle Tour, because more syllables is always considered a good thing? TCAPNPMCTCT has a ring to it, especially for Google.

And are our medals valuable collectors' items now?

milky4130

Sep 23, 2014, 8:56 PM

Apparently its to market it better to the international audience, pretty pointless unless they are going to increase entrants to plus 40k Or decrease the local entry to allow more foreigners to bring their currency to Cape Town, i guess we'll have to wait & see.

Maniax

Sep 23, 2014, 9:12 PM

Did I the buy an entry to the wrong event?....

NixM

Sep 24, 2014, 5:07 AM

The logo looks like an alien on a bike, could have been called the Roswel cycle tour. But then it appears that aliens don't need seatposts or bars to ride either.

Pieterg

Sep 24, 2014, 5:24 AM

What about the 109.4 as a name at least the distance will be a constant

DJR

Sep 24, 2014, 5:24 AM

I like the "Cape Town Cycle Tour" better than the impossible old official name, but I'll keep on calling it the "Argus". I think the re-naming probably has something to do with the Argus suffering financially and the City of Cape Town now most likely being the biggest contributor. They are simply the most logical headline sponsor, better than any other business or company. Good that the city is willing to build its brand internationally especially in the cycling world. We have much to offer.

rock

Sep 24, 2014, 6:40 AM

Ja I think there's more to it? Anything to do with the CSA and PPA?

Zariuss

Sep 24, 2014, 6:55 AM

Did I the buy an entry to the wrong event?....

Obviously you did as the Entries only open on Friday!
Tankman

Sep 24, 2014, 6:59 AM

What about the 109.4 as a name at least the distance will be a constant

Over the years the distance has not been constant. Over Ou Kaapse weg, over Boyes drive, finish in Camps Bay ... etc.

Just glad all this excitement over this BIG announcement we have all been anxiously waiting for, is over.

Back to your lives and as you were!

Oh ... and before we say Whooopla ...

HOLD YOUR F@*# LINE!!!

porqui

Sep 24, 2014, 7:25 AM

Entry fee up by 19.44%

Why?

BECAUSE THEY CAN !!

gummibear

Sep 24, 2014, 7:33 AM

World Fun ride Champs.

carbon29er

Sep 24, 2014, 7:54 AM

Ja I think there's more to it? Anything to do with the CSA and PPA?

No, Barking up the wrong tree here.

carbon29er

Sep 24, 2014, 8:24 AM

I wonder whats really behind this decision - I am suspicious of the spin doctoring.

Why on earth would they re-brand a race name which is internationally iconic?

You just can't say: "hey mom, I did the Cape Town in 3.01!"

Frankly, it makes me wonder as to how much of the name change is attributable to the decline of Independent Newspapers, who are busy with a massive retrenchment excercise, making more than 10% of their staff redundant in one fell swoop. One has to wonder if the Argus just can no longer shell out for the naming rights.

This might also go some way to explaining the ludicrous entry fee.

Internationally iconic? I do wonder how many people tell their friends abroad they are going to ride the Argus rather than they are going to Cape Town?  Research indicates the latter.

The renaming eliminates the complexity of accommodating multiple sponsors and positions the Cape Town Cycle Tour factually based on where it occurs.  As Capricorn points out "Changing the name wont dilute the experience one bit. Later generations wont even know what 'the argus' means anyway." Which is perfectly true for the worldwide audience that is so important for South Africa to attract now that striking has become our major economic output.  The City of Cape Town and the Western Cape government recognise the unique opportunity that cyclo tourism offers the economy given the Cape's natural attractiveness to cyclists.

The renaming has nothing to do with the Cape Argus wanting out, it remains as a major sponsor and a newspaper very supportive of recreational cycling and the benefits of cycling to the community it serves.

Regarding the "ludicrous entry fee", this is a charitable event where ALL profits go to charity or the benefit of the broader cycling community. Is R430 or R400 if you are a PPA member really expensive for one of the best organised and fun days you can have on a bicycle, including being the world funride championships? I bet you spend more on energy supplements and post ride coffee in the weeks leading up to the event. With 40,000 entries all snapped up in days I don't think the market agrees with you.

Harryn

Sep 24, 2014, 10:57 AM

Internationally iconic? I do wonder how many people tell their friends abroad they are going to ride the Argus rather than they are going to Cape Town? Research indicates the latter.

The renaming eliminates the complexity of accommodating multiple sponsors and positions the Cape Town Cycle Tour factually based on where it occurs. As Capricorn points out "Changing the name wont dilute the experience one bit. Later generations wont even know what 'the argus' means anyway." Which is perfectly true for the worldwide audience that is so important for South Africa to attract now that striking has become our major economic output. The City of Cape Town and the Western Cape government recognise the unique opportunity that cyclo tourism offers the economy given the Cape's natural attractiveness to cyclists.

The renaming has nothing to do with the Cape Argus wanting out, it remains as a major sponsor and a newspaper very supportive of recreational cycling and the benefits of cycling to the community it serves.

Regarding the "ludicrous entry fee", this is a charitable event where ALL profits go to charity or the benefit of the broader cycling community. Is R430 or R400 if you are a PPA member really expensive for one of the best organised and fun days you can have on a bicycle, including being the world funride championships? I bet you spend more on energy supplements and post ride coffee in the weeks leading up to the event. With 40,000 entries all snapped up in days I don't think the market agrees with you.

All of your points are entirely valid; I stand corrected!

straatvark

Sep 24, 2014, 1:01 PM

Internationally iconic? I do wonder how many people tell their friends abroad they are going to ride the Argus rather than they are going to Cape Town? Research indicates the latter.

All my Dublin club members knew and ask about 'the big sportive in CT', never used 'the Argus' as people would here in SA

scotty

Sep 25, 2014, 5:13 AM

Will it still be held in August. 

Akon

Sep 25, 2014, 5:23 AM

Obviously you did as the Entries only open on Friday!

That's for the plebs  :whistling:

The disciples got the opportunity to enter about 3 weeks ago already... :thumbup:

Add a comment

You must log in to comment