Events

Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust appeals to riders and supporters to save water

· By Press Office · 20 comments

The Western Cape is experiencing its worst drought in 100 years. As organisers of a responsible event, the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust (CTCTT) consciously plans around the social- and environmental impact of the Cape Town Cycle Tour.

“The drought in the Western Cape has been front of mind during the planning, organization and implementation phases of this, the 40th Cycle Tour,” explains David Bellairs, Marketing, Media and Sponsorship Director of the CTCTT.

“With regards to hydration, we will have sufficient water en route to cater for everyone. We will use it sparingly and purely for the purposes of hydration, ensuring maximum utilisation of all water resources deployed on the route in a responsible and efficient manner. We have also decreased our ice order and there will be a system in place to recycle all grey water at key refreshment stations.”

Since its inception 40 years ago, the Cape Town Cycle Tour has been a community event. Bellairs continues: “Participants and supporters have always seen the Cycle Tour as a celebration of the incredible natural beauty of the Cape peninsula. We believe that they will come to the party this year and heed our call to act responsibly, just as they have in the past. We are therefore highlighting the critical water shortage in our city and the role our riders and supporters must play on Sunday, 12 March.

“All entrants have been made aware of the water shortage and have been sent water-saving advice. There are also water-saving tips on our website, which is visited extensively by participants.”

The Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust has also asked riders to consider using hydration packs filled with spring water instead of relying on the hydration stations. Fresh spring water, certified “excellent to drink”, is available at Newlands SAB, on the corner of Letterstedt and Main Roads, Newlands http://www.cidc.co.za/2013/01/collect-your-own-fresh-spring-water/.

“Our supporters are an integral part of the event. We have requested that this year supporters be water-wise during their participation, and specifically that they refrain from hosing down the cyclists as they ride past.”

Bellairs concludes: “Any further measures that can be taken leading up to the event and on event days will be investigated. Our priority is to ensure a safe ride for all participants and we will at no time compromise our commitment to achieving this outcome. Cape Town Cycle Tour brings hundreds-of-millions of rands into the Western Cape Province. It is also a charitable event relied on for fundraising purposes by a large number of community organisations. We can assure Capetonians that we are doing all we can to manage water consumption during the event.”

Alan Winde, Western Cape Minister of Economic Opportunities, said : “Just as Capetonians always welcome cyclists from around the country and the world to this event, we are calling on them to continue passing on the message that we are in the midst of a severe drought and have limited water supply. We similarly call on all businesses to support this call and pass on this important message.”

For more information on the 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour, please visit http://expo.capetowncycletour.com/ or follow us on Facebook, twitter (@CTCycleTour) and on Instagram (@ctcycletour).

Related posts

Comments

waanie

Mar 10, 2017, 2:44 PM

all guateng riders must bring there own water.the water here is only for the westerncape cyclist.u guys receive lots of rain down there :clap:

Dubbin

Mar 10, 2017, 3:04 PM

Are some of you later starters considering taking Camelbacks along in case waterpoints run dry the afternoon? (I know the early starters would never consider it and normally have a two bottle and no stops strategy) 

I normally fill my two bottles up twice on route.

Mamil

Mar 10, 2017, 3:07 PM

Some people on this forum would have you hanged, drawn and quartered for daring to mention a Camelbak....

Are some of you later starters considering taking Camelbacks along in case waterpoints run dry the afternoon? (I know the early starters would never consider it and normally have a two bottle and no stops strategy) 

Dubbin

Mar 10, 2017, 3:10 PM

Some people on this forum would have you hanged, drawn and quartered for daring to mention a Camelbak....

I know, that's why I am asking permission first. :whistling:

Pure Savage

Mar 10, 2017, 6:40 PM

:whistling:

Sitting@89

Mar 10, 2017, 6:50 PM

post-83996-0-55384900-1489171814_thumb.png
'Dale

Mar 10, 2017, 6:52 PM

Not at your level of racing, Mamil

Those are for the backmarkers

#bidon

sierrrd

Mar 10, 2017, 6:54 PM

Bring your Camelbak along. Don't worry about the status quo, start a revolution. 

Belgian biker

Mar 10, 2017, 6:56 PM

Are we allowed to shower after the race....?!

^_^

Pure Savage

Mar 10, 2017, 6:58 PM

Are we allowed to shower after the race....?!

^_^

Yes, but in pairs. :P

( But in all seriousness, 2 min shower :) )

Mamil

Mar 10, 2017, 7:50 PM

If you're staying in a B&B or even an hotel maybe consider showering with a bucket in the shower and use that water to flush the toilet.

Long Wheel Base

Mar 11, 2017, 5:28 AM

all guateng riders must bring there own water.the water here is only for the westerncape cyclist.u guys receive lots of rain down there :clap:

*up there.

We higher than you[emoji16]

Most of us should know how to use it sparingly as although we have had a lot of rain recently we have been on water restrictions since late last year. Pity we can't drain some of our overflowing dams down to you.

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk

Long Wheel Base

Mar 11, 2017, 5:28 AM

*up there.

We higher than you[emoji16]

Most of us should know how to use it sparingly as although we have had a lot of rain recently we have been on water restrictions since late last year. Pity we can't drain some of our overflowing dams down to you.

Belgian biker

Mar 11, 2017, 6:28 AM

If you're staying in a B&B or even an hotel maybe consider showering with a bucket in the shower and use that water to flush the toilet.

We're staying in an airbnb rental and are doing exactly that.

Patchelicious

Mar 11, 2017, 6:28 AM

Save water! And rather just drink the delicious local craft beers.

Cat2forLife

Mar 11, 2017, 7:05 AM

I'll be getting through the race tomorrow with one massive sugar rush from all the coke.

'Dale

Mar 11, 2017, 7:08 AM

I'll be getting through the race tomorrow with one massive sugar rush from all the coke.

Watch out for the sugar crash ????

Long Wheel Base

Mar 11, 2017, 7:09 AM

Agree with Dale. That can be dangerous.

Icycling

Mar 11, 2017, 8:18 AM

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there is bacteria.

Dink wine or beer!! But after you have finish the ride.

Slowbee

Mar 11, 2017, 8:37 AM

some rules are made to be broken.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment