Events

Louis Meintjes abandons Tour de France with illness

· By Press Office · 26 comments

We are extremely sad to announce that our young South African climber, Louis Meintjes, will abandon the Tour de France today.

ccs-62657-0-81983700-1437643940.jpg

It was our team’s goal to finish our debut Le Tour with all 9 riders but rider health is our team’s first priority and Louis will be unable to take the start of today’s 18th stage. Louis is only 23 years of age and we see him as Tour de France GC contender of the future. His health and recovery is our main concern at this point in time.

Louis fell ill yesterday morning, he battled through the 17th stage but finished in a lot of pain. He was taken straight to hospital and he will spend another night in hospital today for further observation. It was discovered today that Louis has Gastroenteritis, causing his severe stomach pain.

Unfortunately Louis Meintjes came down with quite a sudden illness yesterday morning. He struggled through the stage yesterday and I still don’t know how he managed to finish the stage. By the time he got the finish line he was in severe pain and quite dehydrated as well. He was taken in the ambulance straight to hospital where he was resuscitated on intravenous fluids and given some medication. After some investigations, we found he has quite a severe case of gastroenteritis. We don’t know the exact cause of how he picked up the bacteria but he is doing much better already. Unfortunately there is just no way that he will be well enough to start today’s stage. Louis will spend another day in hospital and then more than likely, he will be discharged tomorrow. We obviously wish him a fast recover and are sad that he won’t be able to start today.
Dr Jarrad van Zuydam – Team Doctor
It is really sad that Louis won’t start today. It is Louis first Tour de France too and it is a race he really wanted to do well in, especially these stages coming up that he had looked at previously in training during his preparation for the Tour de France. It is sad for him and it is sad for the team but Louis is a young rider who has a lot to give to cycling in the future. His health is first and foremost, for us as a team it is much more important to realise his potential going forward and we want to look after his health as much as possible. I am certain that Louis will be back at the Tour de France in the future, going for the overall victory and we will absolutely support that in the future but for now his health is the first priority.
Doug Ryder – Team Principal
For me this is a really disappointing and unfortunate occurrence. Louis has trained and prepared for this for the last 3 years, building himself up. Unfortunately these things happen in sport and in life. I guess it is something that we just have to deal with. What’s most important for our team is our athlete’s health and recovery so I wish Louis a quick recovery and look forward to him being back on the bike.
Dr Carol Austin – Head of Health and Performance

Comments

Sharkie 2

Jul 23, 2015, 9:41 AM

Noooo

raptor-22

communal hotels

spectators throwing pee

its surprising that more riders aren't taking ill this year.

Well Done Louis. You make us proud. Get well soon and see you at the Vuelta?

Vetseun

Sad news. He remains a Super Hero in my view

NixM

Jul 23, 2015, 9:44 AM

That he pushed on to finish yesterday shows what he is made of. What a champ.

velomonatiCT

Jul 23, 2015, 9:44 AM

SSSaaaaaddd :(

EmptyB

Jul 23, 2015, 9:45 AM

Sh*t !!!!!!!!!! Well done anyway Louis

Imploder

Jul 23, 2015, 9:49 AM

This tour was truly a baptism of fire for the young lad. Kudo's for making it this far. Will only do his career good. Well done young man!!!

T-Bob

Jul 23, 2015, 9:55 AM

He did great. Getting over that disappointment after all the focus, training and prep for his first TdF will be a strong lesson that will hold him in good stead later in his career. Big, bright future for sure. 

PieterJvR

Jul 23, 2015, 10:00 AM

Ahhh crap!!! That sucks... was hoping for some great action in the Alps

But his health is more important, wishing him the best and a speedy recovery!

shaper

Jul 23, 2015, 10:01 AM

Go Louis!!... the experience will make him stronger and better!!

Sad that he will not get to experience Paris and finishing

Thomo

Jul 23, 2015, 10:08 AM

Oh no.!  :(

Many were expecting something special from him this week.

Such a pity that he doesn't get to finish the tour.

No doubt we'll see a lot more of him in future.

watsonr

Jul 23, 2015, 10:10 AM

That sucks! He must be devastated not being able to cross the line in Paris. Always next year and most probably a far stronger and smarter rider in next year's tour.

Guest notmyname

Jul 23, 2015, 10:17 AM

Sorry man that sucks. Great effort Louis.

Chane

Jul 23, 2015, 10:20 AM

Sad day for Louis and sad day for MTN-Q ... BUT ...

May this year's success on the Tour be the beginning of next year's achievements :)

Bike Whisperer

Jul 23, 2015, 10:22 AM

that's sad, but well done Louis and the whole team.

BeegMig

Jul 23, 2015, 10:28 AM

Hope he can have another go next year.

fanievb

Jul 23, 2015, 10:28 AM

362353bf6be9d23bfc2a38c9dceb4523.jpg

reteid

Jul 23, 2015, 10:32 AM

sad to hear but its better to look at the bigger picture as he is still young enough to be contending gc for a few years to come.heal up as you have done us proud.

arendoog

Jul 23, 2015, 10:34 AM

3 weeks of riding and travelling .I am surprised not more riders become ill 

Wannabe

Jul 23, 2015, 10:35 AM

Strongs, Champ.

You can hold your head up high, you made a lot of us beam with pride!!

mtbee

Jul 23, 2015, 10:51 AM

Champion effort Louis, plenty more tours to ride and your time will come as a GC contender. I do feel like the little girls 3 post back.

nonky

Jul 23, 2015, 10:57 AM

too sad, esp with the climbs coming up.

better luck next time!

Meerkat82

Jul 23, 2015, 11:00 AM

sad

Hope he gets better soon

Jaco-fiets

Jul 23, 2015, 1:22 PM

Feel sorry for the lad! He is still young and an exceptional talent. He will come back stronger!!!!!!!!!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment