Events

Mark Cavendish to take a break from racing due to Epstein-Barr virus

Supplied by Team Dimension Data for Qhubeka.

· By Press Office · 0 comments

Following medical examination, we can confirm that Mark Cavendish will miss the upcoming immediate race schedule due to the presence of Epstein-Barr virus.

ccs-62657-0-14389100-1535530590.jpg

The medical results have indicated too that Cavendish will also have been unknowingly training and racing with EBV over recent months, and as a result of these findings he has been advised to rest in order to fully recover ahead of a return to training.

Cavendish said, “This season I’ve not felt physically myself and despite showing good numbers on the bike I have felt that there’s been something not right.

Given this and on the back of these medical results, I’m glad to now finally have some clarity as to why I haven’t been able to perform at my optimum level during this time.

Having received expert medical advice as a result of the findings I’ve been advised to take a period of total rest in order to fully recover.

I’m now looking forward to taking the time necessary in order to get back to 100% fitness before then returning to racing again at peak physical condition.

I’d like to thank everyone for the incredible support I’ve received and I look forward to seeing you all out on the road again soon.”

As and when there is a further update on Mark’s return to racing we will provide an update.

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment