Events

Moolman-Pasio climbs to second overall on iconic Monte Zoncolan

Supplied by Bigla Pro Cycling Team.

· By Press Office · 0 comments

The Giro Rosa peloton took on the Monte Zoncolan on Saturday in what was a historic day of racing. Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio again showed why she is one of the best climbers in the world by finishing second.

ccs-62657-0-15640700-1531581594.jpg

The ride also puts the South African second in the overall classification with one day left to race.

“I am proud of my ride today,” Moolman-Pasio said. “Obviously, there is the disappointment of not winning the stage, but I went all in. On the steeper part of the climb I accelerated and got into a hard tempo and Annemiek [van Vleuten] could follow. I tried to keep the hard tempo and just before we hit the flatter section, she attacked. I took a few minutes to consolidate and towards the end I was coming back but ran out of climb. I’m onto second on GC but there is the element of disappointment to not take the stage win. My team were incredible to make sure I was safe and in the best position coming in to the climb. Cille [uttrup Ludwig] did an impressive climb today too.”

22-year-old Uttrup Ludwig finished eighth and moves up to sixth in the overall. Moolman-Pasio started the day third overall and had her eye on making up time on the overall classification as well as the stage win.

“It’s a tricky balance between taking time on the GC from other riders and to go for the stage win and in the moment I did what I thought was right. Annemiek was in the lead and didn’t have to work so I was driving the pace. All in all, I’m proud of the team’s effort and I’m just disappointed I couldn’t repay them with the stage win.”

The only Grand Tour in women’s cycling will finish with a 120-kilometre stage that will start and end in Cividale del Friuli.

https://www.facebook.com/GCNcycling/videos/248969982569445/

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment