Events

Six renewals for Team NTT in 2020

Supplied by Team NTT.

· By Press Office · 0 comments

Team NTT are delighted to confirm six contract renewals that will underpin the next phase of our team’s journey as they rebrand as Team NTT in 2020.

ccs-62657-0-32592800-1568192566.png

Exciting and in-demand South African sprinter Ryan Gibbons, who continues to progress at the very highest level, will be looking to even greater success in 2020. He impressed hugely at the Tour Down Under early on in the year and followed that up with fourth at the Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road Race. Gibbons also finished twice in the top 10 on stages at the Giro dÍtalia in 2019 to go with capturing the individual time trial title at the African Games.

Nicholas Dlamini joins Gibbons in extending his contract after the taking the step up in 2018 as a neo-pro, having ridden for our Continental team. The 24-year-old’s star continues to rise as he’s currently riding his debut Grand Tour, the Vuelta a Espana.

They’re joined by compatriot Jay Thomson who will ride for the team for an eighth season in 2020. The stalwart has been a key rider over the years with his all-round ability a huge asset both on and off the bike for the team.

Eritrean star Amanuel Ghebreighzabhier’s excellent 2019 sees him with an opportunity to build on that in 2020. Highlights have included winning his national time trial championship, top-10 GC finishes at Vuelta a Burgos and the Tour of Austria, a strong showing at the Giro d’Italia and two impressive top-10 finishes, so far, at the Vuelta a Espana.

Joining them is American Ben King who followed his break-out double-stage win at he Vuelta in 2018 with an impressive showing at the Tour of California in May. In July he rode his second ever Tour de France, one of the toughest yet, before once again tackling the Vuelta a Espana in August.

The hugely experienced Italian Enrico Gasparotto has also agreed to another year with the team. Having joined at the start of the year he’s made an immediate impression, playing a crucial role not only in his own racing ambitions but also in his role with mentoring some of the younger riders on our roster.

This announcement follows after confirmation of Michael Gogl, Max Walscheid and Carlos Barbero earlier this week.

I’m so thrilled to be able to confirm that this talented group have committed their immediate futures to our team, and the hugely exciting next step on our journey. We continue to provide the platform, via our Continental feeder team, for some of the very best talent from Africa the opportunity to showcase their abilities on the biggest stage. Considering how the likes of Ryan, Nic and Amanuel have come on in the last two years the future looks very bright.

In Enrico, Jay and Ben we have slightly older heads who are going to continue to provide not only versatility and solidity to our group but also showcase that one of the true strengths of this team is its diversity. Those all come together with the common goals of performing to the utmost of our abilities on the bike while at the same time changing lives together with the Qhubeka charity.
Douglas Ryder

I’m really happy to have renewed to stay on with the team for another year. I hope that with my experience and my approach to racing that I can help my teammates to improve as riders and as people. I’m not young anymore but I’m still a dreamer and absolutely love the Classics, so I will continue to dream in 2020.
Enrico Gasparotto
I’m very pleased to be continuing my journey with Team DD as we change to Team NTT for next season. I’m looking forward to more opportunities next year and building on some of the results achieved this year.
Ryan Gibbons
I’m really happy to be given another opportunity to continue living my dream and to step up into the big league. This year has been a year of ups and downs but I’ve learnt a huge amount. Next year I want to be a totally different rider now that I’ve got the depth through experiences like the Vuelta. I’ve got great ambitions for next year along with the team, and look forward to going bigger and better.
Nicholas Dlamini
I’m super happy to sign for another year to make it my eighth season in a row with the Team. I’m incredibly happy to have a home here and very motivated to make 2020 the best of them all.
Jay Thomson
I couldn’t be happier to stay with the team. We’re a family from all over the world united by our passion for excellence and the incredible cause of changing lives with bicycles. I’ve had amazing opportunities here and I look forward to “moving forward” and getting the best out of myself in 2020. It’s sure to be a big year!
Ben King
I am very happy to renew my contract and race in the team’s new NTT jersey next season. From joining the Continental team in 2016, every year I’ve progressed and stepped up in my career, so this is a very good environment for me. I hope to continue in the same way next season and start to achieve some important results for me, the team and Eritrean cycling.
Amanuel Ghebreigzabhier
Tags:

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment