Events

South African presence at Tour de France

· By Press Office · 5 comments

Following on from the ground breaking achievements of national cycling hero, Robbie Hunter who became the first South African rider to participate in the Tour de France in 2001, the 2015 edition of the Tour de France will see a good representation of South African riders.

Cycling South Africa is very proud of the selection of Daryl Impey (Orica-GreenEdge), Jacques Janse van Rensburg, Louis Meintjes and Reinardt Janse van Rensburg (all MTN Qhubeka) on their selection for the Tour.

ccs-62657-0-93952900-1435752080.jpg

Daryl Impey (Orica-GreenEdge), the first South African to wear the coveted yellow jersey in 2013, will be one of the SA riders participating in the 2015 Tour de France. Photo Graham Watson

Cycling SA President, William Newman, said: “I would like to congratulate all these riders on their selection to participate in the most prestigious event in World cycling. They have worked exceptionally hard and have been rewarded for their efforts. We can assure them that the whole nation will be behind them as they tackle this gruelling race. I also congratulate Douglas Ryder and his team for pursuing a dream, which they have now achieved and are making South Africa proud.”

The Tour de France has been one of firsts for South Africa, with Robbie Hunter being the first South African to win a stage at the prestigious event in 2007 followed by Daryl Impey showing his class by being the first South African to wear the coveted yellow jersey in 2013.

Another talented South African to compete in the gruelling event was John-Lee Augustyn, in 2008.

They have paved the way for our young riders now to come on board and show what they are capable of. This year we enjoy another first with Team MTN-Qhubeka being the first South African and African team to participate in the Tour.

We wish the riders well as they rollout from Utrecht on 4 July 2015 and we will follow their progress all the way to Paris.

Comments

carbon29er

Jul 1, 2015, 12:43 PM

Gee, I'm disappointed me and my mates aren't listed in the press release. After all it is titled South African presence at Tour de France.  I guess we'll have to try harder. Watch out for us on some arb hill.

post-35786-0-74000500-1435754615_thumb.jpg

Meezo

Jul 1, 2015, 12:44 PM

so can CSA bask in all the glory?

jimmycool

Jul 1, 2015, 12:46 PM

Go Saffas! Make us proud.

udxcob

Jul 1, 2015, 1:11 PM

So this year we have more riders in the TDF than the USA

HappyMartin

Jul 1, 2015, 2:34 PM

so can CSA bask in all the glory?

And if they do will that spoil it for you?

I don't care how CSA feels or what they bask in. I'm pleased and proud and full of hopes for the South Africans. Actually for all and any Africans as well. I remember how wonderful it was to see Dimpey in yellow in 2013. I never gave the CSA a thought at the time.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment