Events

Stefan de Bod wins GP Palio del Recioto

Supplied by Team Dimension Data for Qhubeka.

· By Press Office · 0 comments

The Team Dimension Data Continental outfit took on the UCI u23 GP Palio del Recioto in Italy and our young South African, Stefan de Bod, took an emphatic solo victory after attacking on the final climb of the race.

The GP Palio del Recioto took place in Negrar, Italy and was raced over a distance of 151km. It was the 3rd time our continental team took part in this prestigious UCI u23 race, with Amanuel Ghebreigzabhier (who now rides for our World Tour outfit) finishing in 3rd place back in 2016.

ccs-62657-0-62420500-1522833777.jpg

Today saw a huge field of starters, with all the top u23 development teams from around world represented on the startline. Our African Team was looking to Stefan de Bod, who recently won the u23 Strade Bianche, and Matteo Sobrero, who finished 3rd at yesterday’s UCI u23 Giro del Belvedere, to lead our charge.

Our team of Kent Main, Hafetab Weldu and El Mehdi Chokri worked well together to look after our two leaders, before reaching the big final climb, that began with 25km to go. It was here where de Bod took the race into his own hands with a strong attack. The rest as they say, was history.

The u23 South African time trial champion crested the climb with a 15 second lead over his nearest chasers, and then held his gap on the tricky 10km descent all the way to the line. Sobrero sweetened the deal for our Continental team by finishing in 5th place, a fine ride after his podium result yesterday.

It was a really tough race with more than 3000m ascent over 151km. I sat in the bunch and waited for the last climb of the day. My teammates looked after me the whole race and I attacked with 25km to go, on the climb, and went solo all the way to the finish. I am happy to do my part in the team as we ride for Qhubeka, a bigger purpose to put more people on bikes in Africa. I am happy to take my second win of the European season.
Stefan de Bod – Rider

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment