Events

Three South African riders to compete in 2016 Le Tour de France

· By Press Office · 10 comments

Cycling South Africa is very proud to share in the announcements from the professional peloton that South African riders Daryl Impey (Orica-BikeExchange), Louis Meintjes (Lampre Merida) and Reinardt Janse van Rensburg (Team Dimension Data for Qhubeka) will be taking part in the 103rd edition of Le Tour de France, which kicks off with a 188-kilometre stage from Mont-Saint-Michel to Utah Beach Sainte-Marie-du-Mont on Saturday 2 July.

Africa will once again be well represented at the Tour with Daniel Teklehaimanot (Eritrea) and Natnael Berhane (Eritrea) joining Reinardt Janse van Rensburg as part of Team Dimension Data for Qhubeka and Tsgabu Grmay (Ethiopia) riding with Louis Meintjes in Team Lampre Merida. Along with Daryl Impey riding for Orica-BikeExchange, the African presence will be felt throughout this gruelling 3 week event.

ccs-62657-0-96083700-1467365087.jpgDaryl Impey (Orica-GreenEdge), one of the riders from South Africa that will be taking part in the 103rd edition of Le Tour de France, which starts from Mont-Saint-Michel to Utah Beach Sainte-Marie-du-Mont on Saturday 2 July. Photo: CyclingSA

Over the years, the iconic and gruelling three-week cycle tour has seen Robbie Hunter as the first South African to compete in the 2001 event, and to win a stage in 2007. Ex-professional cyclist John-Lee Augustyn competed in Le Tour in 2008 for Barloworld and finished in sixth place in the Mountains Classification and seventh in the Young Riders’ Classification. Daryl Impey more recently made international cycling headlines when he became the first South African to wear the coveted yellow jersey in 2013. 2015 witnessed the first time that a South African registered UCI Pro Continental team, Team MTN-Qhubeka powered by Samsung, was given a wildcard entry in the glamorous event, with South Africans Jacques Janse van Rensburg and Louis Meintjes and Reinardt Janse van Rensburg, taking part.

Although not South African but flying the flag for Africa’s team, Daniel Teklehaimanot (ERI) became the first African rider to don the Polka Dot climber’s jersey on stage six and only the third African ever to wear a leader’s jersey at the Tour de France; and Stephen Cummings’ (GBR) memorable solo victory on the 14th stage on Mandela Day will long remain in our memories.

ccs-62657-0-84973100-1467365088.pngLouis Meintjes (Lampre Merida) is one of the South African riders taking part in the 103rd edition of Le Tour de France, which starts from Mont-Saint-Michel to Utah Beach Sainte-Marie-du-Mont on Saturday 2 July. Photo: CyclingSA

Cycling SA President, William Newman, said: “Congratulations to all the riders on their selection to participate in this year’s Le Tour de France. The atmosphere at an event of this stature is one that cannot be described. Le Tour is arguably one of the greatest celebrations of cycling in the world and for three weeks, even non-cyclists are glued to their TV screens for riveting cycling action over spectacular scenery. It is also a milestone for African Cycling to have such a diverse representation from the African Continent at the Tour with the participation of South African, Eritrean and Ethiopian riders.

“On behalf of the Executive and Management Committees, we are extremely proud of your selection and wish you all the very best when you roll off the start line in Mont-Saint-Michel on Saturday.”

Comments

Patchelicious

Jul 1, 2016, 9:34 AM

Not sure what CSA has got to do with this?

Meezo

Jul 1, 2016, 9:35 AM

got your picture titles mixed up, delete this comment when fixed

Nick

Jul 1, 2016, 9:36 AM

got your picture titles mixed up, delete this comment when fixed

Thanks!

Ttocs

Jul 1, 2016, 9:42 AM

Good luck to the SA boys, make us proud.

Long Wheel Base

Jul 1, 2016, 9:50 AM

Not sure what CSA has got to do with this?

Without CSA those 3 riders would not be where they are today. They have CSA to thanks for all their fame and success. I can only wonder what sort of backing and support they have had over the years from CSA, It must be immense. Well done CSA, you guys rock.

Hilton.

Jul 1, 2016, 10:16 AM

Without CSA those 3 riders would not be where they are today. They have CSA to thanks for all their fame and success. I can only wonder what sort of backing and support they have had over the years from CSA, It must be immense. Well done CSA, you guys rock.

I thought we were suppsed to used Italics, not comic sans :P

Long Wheel Base

Jul 1, 2016, 10:29 AM

I thought we were suppsed to used Italics, not comic sans :P

Did I miss the memo?

Hope some newbies don't think I am on drugs :lol:

Wannabe

Jul 1, 2016, 11:11 AM

Ja, they supported Louis when he spent 6 months of the year in Europe, learning the trick of the trade, and still keep his schooling up to date.

Bunch of ......

Patchelicious

Jul 1, 2016, 11:30 AM

Did I miss the memo?

Hope some newbies don't think I am on drugs :lol:

The 3 guys above are not.

Lou Zealand

Jul 1, 2016, 11:41 AM

Good to see some southern flavour - verifiable Rugby Championship stuff with there also being 3 Kiwis, 9 Aussies and 2 Argies!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment